RobThatsMe - the real thread

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been a long time since I was called 'babe', Ben! what an upper for an old lady and it would be nice to meet one of these days.
I know the doctors are doing all they need to do to help Rob get on through this. the a-fib has bothered him for such a long time. I will go on the other site. Went there once but didn't see where I could leave a msg but will try again.

Ann, At the top on the left hand side, says blog,blog,blog if you click on that it takes you to where you can leave a message
here is the direct link (I hope) https://sites.google.com/site/robthatsmecristid/blog-blog-blog

Here's this morning's update
09/20/10 10:00am Bob is doing well this morning. His jaundice has peaked and is subsiding. He is still in a-fib but the range is small and he is on lopressor for that. He had some apple sauce and water. His voice is stronger and his smile is beautiful! So very proud of him! Dr. Pettersson says he is on track and can be moved to the step down unit today. Great morning!!

been a long time since I was called 'babe', Ben! what an upper for an old lady and it would be nice to meet one of these days.
I know the doctors are doing all they need to do to help Rob get on through this. the a-fib has bothered him for such a long time. I will go on the other site. Went there once but didn't see where I could leave a msg but will try again.

I feel like we're family Ann...we've known each other a long time....and I can't wait to have the opportunity to meet you as well......Hope I didn't offend you....babe is one of those words I use regularly.......Thanks for the prayers and support for Rob......He rounding the corner to the "easier" side of recovery.....need to get his color better and get rid of that damn a-fib!!!!!!
Can't believe Crsiti will be alone this afternoon.....driving me nuts.
I think as soon as my interview is over tomorrow I am going to head up there to sit with her and keep her company....I'll figure out the money side of it later........

And yes, on their site...click the Blog, Blog, Blog link on the upper left and you can leave a message for her and Rob....she's on it often and will be reading it to Rob as soon as she is able

I feel like we're family Ann...we've known each other a long time....and I can't wait to have the opportunity to meet you as well......Hope I didn't offend you....babe is one of those words I use regularly.......Thanks for the prayers and support for Rob......He rounding the corner to the "easier" side of recovery.....need to get his color better and get rid of that damn a-fib!!!!!!
Can't believe Crsiti will be alone this afternoon.....driving me nuts.
I think as soon as my interview is over tomorrow I am going to head up there to sit with her and keep her company....I'll figure out the money side of it later........

And yes, on their site...click the Blog, Blog, Blog link on the upper left and you can leave a message for her and Rob....she's on it often and will be reading it to Rob as soon as she is able

You're a really good friend Ben. How far are you from Cleveland? I'm glad Christi has had so many people there to support her. Sometimes when Justin is in the hospital, I like when it is just the 2 of us,( we live close so once he is out of CICU, my DH usually goes back to work, so he can take time off when JUstin first comes home)) but other times I really wished there was someone with us, that I could talk to or share my concerns with, or even eat lunch with or just to keep Justin company.
So I'm really glad Christi has so many people that can be with her. Hopefully once Robb starts feeling better and They can keep each other company, but it is always nice to have a good friend there.

You're a really good friend Ben. How far are you from Cleveland? I'm glad Christi has had so many people there to support her. Sometimes when Justin is in the hospital, I like when it is just the 2 of us,( we live close so once he is out of CICU, my DH usually goes back to work, so he can take time off when JUstin first comes home)) but other times I really wished there was someone with us, that I could talk to or share my concerns with, or even eat lunch with or just to keep Justin company.
So I'm really glad Christi has so many people that can be with her. Hopefully once Robb starts feeling better and They can keep each other company, but it is always nice to have a good friend there.

I'm about 3 hours from Cleveland Clinic...so not far at all....And I understand the wanting to be alone....we all gave Cristi her space when she needed it....but at the same time were there when she really had to have someone!!!!

I'll be back in a day or so....

You are a true friend. A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care. Nice to see you lending a hand. What goes around comes around. You are a good man. God bless you.

Last edited:
MONDAY afternoon update

1:15 pm We are in the step down room! Bob is doing well. All settled in. He still has 1 chest tube in, heparin drip, IV fluids, and nasel oxygen. His pressure is good at 128/56, b/o is good at 100%. Slight arythmia, very slight, 71/72/73/72/73 as I am typing, he's having some a-flutter also but not extreme. So, all in all he is doing really well so far today. He has some pain but not too much nausea so he is taking more of the fentanyl. He still has a swimming head when he moves a certain way but this will go away eventually.

You are a true friend. A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care. Nice to see you lending a hand. What goes around comes around. You are a good man. God bless you.

Thank you...it's nothing he wouldn't due for me....
We met due to our Valve Replacement surgeries.....I first met him in person at a mini VR.com reunion in Nashville. We had known each other for quite some time via the internet and telephone before that......I have vivid memories of my ICU nurse comming to tell me (more than one time) that RobThatsMe just called to see how I was doing

MONDAY afternoon update

1:15 pm We are in the step down room! Bob is doing well. All settled in. He still has 1 chest tube in, heparin drip, IV fluids, and nasel oxygen. His pressure is good at 128/56, b/o is good at 100%. Slight arythmia, very slight, 71/72/73/72/73 as I am typing, he's having some a-flutter also but not extreme. So, all in all he is doing really well so far today. He has some pain but not too much nausea so he is taking more of the fentanyl. He still has a swimming head when he moves a certain way but this will go away eventually.

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight knowing this big step and that Cristi will be able to stay with him through the night...Great for both of them!!!!

Sounds like GREAT Progress for Rob/Bob.

I'm sure the dizzyness / nausea is NO FUN.
Hopefully that will go away as his need for pain meds decreases.

Keep on Keepin' on Rob.

'AL Capshaw'

Wow I have been so preoccupied with my own stuff that I never read these posts till now. I can't imagine the struggle that you have had to endure Rob & Cristi. It is so amazing to read all the posts here which contain so much love and concern for you. I wish you a speedy recovery from all this and have sent prayers your way.

09/21/10 11:30 am Bob has had a bit of a rough morning. His a-fib is worse......145 108 146 130 117 144 130 108 107 116.....as I am typing. He did eat a good breakfast but then some nausea. They are hoping his heart rate settles down or they will have to paddle him into rhythm. Probably waiting the day through before making that decision. His color is ok, no yellow but he is pale. Blood pressure is 132/60. He had a good night but things started going bad after breakfast. He still has quite a bit of drainage coming from his chest tube. No plans to get up right now until his heart rate settles down. So, this will be an up & down day. It’s the way things go during this healing time. I will read some of your posts to him today. He'll enjoy hearing them!

I hope the a-fib calms down. It seems to be a two step forward, one step back type day.

Rob has had issues off and on with a-fib since his last surgery....I was amazed he came out of surgery with a normal sinus rythm.....They'll get him under control so they can get him to his feet and walking.....he's tough....
he's headed forward...not like we would like to see but still forward!!!!!!!

Two years ago Rob was kind enough to counsel me on my arrhythmias which were driving me nuts. His relaxed attitude and knowledge were so much appreciated. Now it's my turn to ship out some more good vibes and hugs.

Please tell Rob that I am thinking of him. I lay in Cleveland Clinic 6 weeks ago for 8 days with a-fib, nausea and unable to get out of bed with help. It is not fun, but he will get better. I was not able to hardly eat for the 8 days. Nothing tasted right and even if it did, it would upset my tummy. Tell him when he gets home and feels better - all this bad stuff becomes just a memory and he will concentrate on getting better. Even now I look back and say - gee, it wasn't that bad. At the time it felt bad. Good Luck. Pat

6:00 pm Bob is still in a-fib/a-flutter. They are still treating with meds right now. If he is still in by morning, they will do a cardio-version. We're hoping not but if yes, so be it. They are waiting so after a time with the meds, when they get him into normal rhythum, he will stay there. He's eaten well today. A little from each meal tray. Dr. Pettersson was in this morning and said although he had a 'big' surgery he is on track. Dr. Roslli is in Geneva giving results of his research and will be back here on friday. He will see us then. He had a bath by one of his many cute nurses. I told her if I ever come here can I request cute male nurses? I read many of the posts from the site to Bob today. He really enjoyed hearing so many people reaching out to us. We laughed, cried and "awe d". Thank you all! Keep them coming. It really helps him get through the day.

Note to Cristi -

When Rob is 'over the hump' and feeling a bit better,
I think he would enjoy reading a classic Heart Surgery Book
by Southern Columnist and Humorist Lewis Grizzard entitled:
"They Tore Out My Heart and Stomped that Sucker Flat".

On second thought, it might be better if someone reads it to him while he clutches his Heart Pillow to his chest as he howls in agreement with Lewis' perspective on being Hospitalized for Heart Surgery :)

After he is fully recovered, he might also enjoy another of Lewis Grizzard's books entitled
"I Took a Lickin' and Kept on Tickin' ". This one might bring a tear or two followed by a "Thank you Lord!"

ENJOY !

'AL Capshaw'

I will continue on with the positive thoughts and prayers for Rob and Christi. This is one 'large' mountain that he is climbing. We are all rooting for him.

Latest posts

Back