RobThatsMe - the real thread

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up-date Late Friday Evening:

09/17/10 midnight The time I spent with Bob today was limited. I want him to rest but also want him to know I am there. I would go in for 10/15 min. at a time to stroke his hair and just be with him. He wasn't up to company but he let Ken come in for a minute. He has struggled through the same issues all day. But really being amazing through it all! He's working very hard. Once they remove the spinal drain, I think he will feel better. He has been through so much but each day will get him stronger and less dependant on the machinery. What may seem like baby steps to us are huge leaps for him. They have been able to cut back on his blood pressure meds as this is stablizing, his chest drainage is improving and he hasn't mentioned the headache since my last post. He's still nauseous and cautious about taking a lot of pain meds because of it. He tried to have a sip of water and that didn't work out so he isn't having anything right now. His nurse tonight says he is doing ok. So again tonight, some good, some getting good, some getting good later and some not so good. I will post earlier tomorrow but bedtime now for me! He will love reading all your messages! xxxooo

BTW Brain freeze is when they drop your body temp and stop blood flow to your brain. 30 min max time on this before risk.

Saturday Morning....

09/18/10 10:00 am Today is much like yesterday for Bob. He is still struggling with balancing pain and nausea. They have given him a pump for his pain meds so instead of them dispensing every hour, he can dispense small doses every 6 min on his own. Maybe this will help. He says when he moves his head from side to side he gets nauseous. He moves very little anyway. Maybe touching his hand to his mouth or bringing the suction up to his mouth. They move him around occasionally to keep him from staying in one spot for too long. The good news is that he asked to see people today. For short visits. So, Helen got to go in and she was elated. She hadn’t seen him yet. I will go back in another hour or so and I will bring someone else back with me. So, baby steps forward!…… Almost forgot to say... his chest drains look really good today. Not much coming out and what is is clear..no bleeding. Same with the spinal drain, no blood. Great progress on this!

Healing always takes longer than we would like.

Glad to hear Bob/Rob is moving in the right direction.

That is Very Good News!

'AL Capshaw'

3:00pm Hi All, Bob has had some ups and downs today. They noticed fluid around his left lung after a morning x-ray. They inserted a drain tube, got quite a bit out to relieve pressure and this helped Bob have less pain. The plan was to remove the spinal drain. Some of his blood work was off so they wanted to give him platelets before pulling out the drain. After his 3rd bag of platelets he started to shiver all over. His nurse brought him a warm blanket and said the blood products were pretty cold and this could be why he was so cold. Shortly after that his blood oxygen level dropped very low. They put him on an oxygen mask and decided not to pull the drain until he was more stable. After a while his b/o came up and eventually they were able to take off the mask and go back to just the nasal canella. Then the readings coming off the spine drain went through the roof. They didn’t know if it was equipment issues, they didn’t think the readings were real. Anyway, 45 min. ago they removed the drain! He has to lie flat for 6 hrs so the hole closes up well. Late tonight or in the morning they will elevate his bed higher and I think he will like this. Right now he’s trying to sleep. He’s exhausted, so I left him alone to rest. Ben & Laura had to leave today, Ken & Helen leave tomorrow and Lisa & Lynn on Monday. What great support they have all been for me! Love you guys!

I too did not realize so much was going to be done. But he'll fight back.

I also wanted to let everyone know that I have sent a message on Rob's blog - just to let him know we are all behind him and sending prayers and special thoughts.
Hey, don't let that stop you for sending your own well wishes......the more the better.

Saturday Evening Up-Date:

10:30 pm 9/18/10 Bob is able to be elevated more in his bed now and as we expected he is feeling better just being able to move a bit. He has had some ginger ale, the first thing he has had since wednesday besides the sip of water he threw up! So, now I think he will progress right along. Can't keep a good man down for long. He has been phenomenal through all this. Bravely coping with the pain that couldn‘t completely be controlled because of the nausea, the nausea itself, etc. But, his blood pressure is running good now, 113/mid 60’s. He hasn’t had any issues with A-fib but if he does they will take care of it. A-fib can be very normal after what he has had done. Heart rate running about 88. He hasn’t run a fever today like yesterday. So he is improving with a steady uphill climb. He had a headache off and on, and one minute he’s hot..the next cold. But body temp is normal. He still has multiple tubes and lines and pace maker in but they will remove them as the need decreases. His out put from his 3 chest tubes is decreasing also. His color looks better, eyes are clearer and his smile is beautiful. So more good today, less not so good. Will post tomorrow! Thanks for all the messages! xxxxxooooooo

awesomeee.gif
wow.gif

Tinkered on my boat all day...... a most satisfying, introspective and healing activity.....Rob and his battle kept creaping into my mind and I would often muster a bundle of positive and healing vibes and send these on their way across the globe. Rob's steady comeback is wonderful news and, Cristi, soon he will be over the top of the mountain and it will be all downhill from there!

Just spoke to Cristi...he was up and in a chair this am...nurses made him; he did not like it and it took a whole bunch of energy. His color went back to a yellowish after being in a chair and he was so exhausted he couldn't speak very loud......He's making prgress...baby steps. But that's ok baby steps forward are better than standing still or even worse....going backwards.........
It's killing me to not still be there right now. Crsiti still has family with her until Monday afternoon.....but then no one will be with her.
We had to come home due to my wifes work and an interview I have Tuesday very early. I'm gonna try to find a way to get back there post interview....

09/19/10 noon Today will be one of those up and down days. To be expected. His nurse Heather made him get up and sit in a chair for 2 hours. He said the pain was not worth it. When I told him his numbers looked good he "bite me"! lol. He is exhausted from his exercise and very weak right now. His color isn't as good as it was yesterday, his liver enzymes are elevated but no ordres to treat just yet. I think he is pale from getting up so he looks more yellow. My thoughts anyway. I still think he is on the climb up. I left him to sleep right now, I will go in again soon and let you know. Ken & Helen left this morning :-( but Lisa and Lynn are still here. Love you K & H.

2:00 pm While I was in the waiting room, they removed 2 of his chest drains. He still has the one they added on his left side in. He's still very tired and weak but better than the 12:00 visit. He's not as pale now either. They will take blood tonight and check his liver enzymes again. They are higher now than yesterday and I was told that this can happen after getting blood products. He had 3 bags yesterday. So, we will wait to see what thats all about. All his other numbers look good. He is back on heprin, good. Forgot to say, yesterday they took him off the pacemaker. His heart rate has been regular on its own. They have said he will stay in ICU again tonight. He had such a big surgery, he's not ready to go to the step down unit just yet. They'll evaluate again tomorrow but for the rest of the day they are just letting him rest. He has had a big day already.

Hello Mrs Rob - hey Rob. I knew Rob was going to have this done but have not been constant here lately, but dropped in just now and found that Rob has already been through the surgery and it sounds like he climbed one of those German mountains. I read every post you sent and it just makes me cry. Rob, Ben and I all came to VR within a short time of each other. Rob was the first person in VR to reply to a post of mine. You have a super guy; he's always been so kind in VR and has so many of us praying for his good health to return. We have been to Germany with him and you via his lovely pictures he shared with us. Thank you for keeping everybody updated. We continue to keep you in our prayers. Say hey to Rob.

SUNDAY Evening

10:00 pm Today was kind of a mixed bag for Bob. On the one hand , he got out of bed and had 2 chest tubes removed. 2 very big accomplishments! On the other, he was exhausted and weak from it, is jaundiced, still has a swimming head, has had little more than a few sips of water or juice in 3 days and since about 4 pm he has been in A-Fib. Wild swings in the beginning, up to 140 but they gave him lopressor and the swings weren’t as severe. As I said before, a-fib is not uncommon after this big surgery so they aren’t worried as long as he stays under a certain number, but it just added to the day for him. His body is on track they tell me, nothing seriously wrong happening. Its going to be like this for awhile. Every day will have its ups and downs, eventually more ups than downs. That’s all for now. See you tomorrow! Good night my friends…..lots of love and gratitude to you from us. When he gets into the step down I can start reading all your messages to him :) xxxxoooo

I too did not realize so much was going to be done. But he'll fight back.

I also wanted to let everyone know that I have sent a message on Rob's blog - just to let him know we are all behind him and sending prayers and special thoughts.
Hey, don't let that stop you for sending your own well wishes......the more the better.

Cristi looks at the messages often...she can use all of them you can send.......Prayers....good thoughts and more prayers....He's doin great but it doesn't hurt to add some more.......ROB'S the MAN...............

Hello Mrs Rob - hey Rob. I knew Rob was going to have this done but have not been constant here lately, but dropped in just now and found that Rob has already been through the surgery and it sounds like he climbed one of those German mountains. I read every post you sent and it just makes me cry. Rob, Ben and I all came to VR within a short time of each other. Rob was the first person in VR to reply to a post of mine. You have a super guy; he's always been so kind in VR and has so many of us praying for his good health to return. We have been to Germany with him and you via his lovely pictures he shared with us. Thank you for keeping everybody updated. We continue to keep you in our prayers. Say hey to Rob.

Hey Babe.......we've been in this for a long time together............I hope we meet some time soon!!!!
Rob is amazing in the way he is working through this......Cristi doesn't look at this site....so to give your thoughts and prayers to her is on their site!!!!
He's doing well.....just a bit slower than we would hope....but he's gonna be just fine when this is in his past.....
My friend will still be the man that got me through my surgery 10 years ago.........Prayers....PLEASE

been a long time since I was called 'babe', Ben! what an upper for an old lady and it would be nice to meet one of these days.
I know the doctors are doing all they need to do to help Rob get on through this. the a-fib has bothered him for such a long time. I will go on the other site. Went there once but didn't see where I could leave a msg but will try again.

Latest posts

Back