RobThatsMe - the real thread

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Sunday night
9:00 pm Today was a really good day. Bob has his normal voice back, he looks like himself and he is getting stronger. Ben & Laura left at 11:30 and Kathy Spears visited this evening. Bob really enjoyed and appreciated her visit. Me too! This week we hope the chest drain comes out, he will have this last procedure tomorrow or Tuesday, he gets to go up to the roof to see the view and maybe know when we can come home. He is back on the heparin drip, his INR has been difficult to level and with Dr. Rosellis last procedure in the wings, they don't want it so high they have to cancel it again. They will work on stabilizing the INR with coumadin after the Rosellis work is done. Maybe 2 to 3 days later, we can come home. They won't release him till it's worked out even though he self tests at home and self medicates. It's ok...we will get home when the time is right for him. We love you all! Thanks for the inspiring messages!

Have a look

Have a look

STILL SMILING DESPITE THE SHIRT THEY FORCED HIM TO WEAR
DSC00978.JPG

muttly.gif

Hello Everyone !!!!!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!

It is so good to read all of your comments, They really have lifted my Spirits. Please continue to keep me in your thoughts and prayers, as I try and take more of those "baby steps" forward. This is the first time since my surgery, that I have had enough energy, to really sit down, and read everyone's posts. It is also the first time since then for me to actually post. Thank you all so much!

The Blog site has really been helpful to keep everyone in my family up-to-date, and also all of my dear friends. None of this could have been accomplished without my wife, Cristi. She found a way to have our "free" site for posting updates, and post pictures so easily. This was all new to her and she did a FANTASTIC job of keeping people informed. After we get out of the hospital and things slow down, except for normal recovery, we will stop posting to that site, and then I shall move most of my posting activities back over to here. But in the meantime, please continue to read my updates, and post an occational messsage. One thing I noticed, which sometimes escapes us, is that the blog site provides me with a step by step documentation of my whole surgical experiance. I hope some that are getting ready for VR surgery can also find some good use from the blog.

I must also give my friend Ben, a huge thank you for being there with me. He was so helpful to both Cristi and I, especially since he knew of so many of the critical questions to ask, or inform Cristi of some of the vitial results I was showing on the monitors. Ben, I love ya guy, and words cannot express my graditude for all you have done to help me along through this whole issue.

I have one more thing to add to the list of things to bring to the hospital when you come in for surgery, "Dry Shampoo", you can spray it in your hair and it does help clean it, though no where near as good as a warm shower and shampoo.

Well, I am getting a bit tired, and wish I could reply to everyone individually, but that at the moment is really not possible. Thank you all again for all that you, and, all that we all do on this site.

I feel good today, still have the drainage tube as of 1:00 PM est time. I cannot wait to get that removed!!
Also, they have me back on the Heparin, as they will want to bring my INR down prior to my minor surgical procedure on Tuesday. They will be able to drip it for the surgery, and then raise it right back up with more control than having to use Coumadin. Once they finish the procedure, they welll get me back up with the Heparin, and also begin to re-regulate me on Coumadin.

Love you all,

Rob

Oh My! Look who we have here. :thumbup:

I'm over joyed to see you posting 'Bobert', as many of us have said.. "you can't keep a good man down".

Eat well, drink lots and rest often (do hope Cristi is doing the same) and take it easy chasing them nursers :biggrin2:

((((hugs))))

I must also give my friend Ben, a huge thank you for being there with me. He was so helpful to both Cristi and I, especially since he knew of so many of the critical questions to ask, or inform Cristi of some of the vitial results I was showing on the monitors. Ben, I love ya guy, and words cannot express my graditude for all you have done to help me along through this whole issue.

Love ya too my dear friend!!!!!!
And it's nothing less than any true friend would do......just being me.....there to offer support and encouragement.....
Can't wait to hear your out of that luxery hotel and also to see you guys again.......

Let us know how the procedure goes in the am.....

Be good and keep the laps up man!!!!!

Turk

Hi Rob!

It's just TERRIFIC to see your avatar and read your post!!!

Keep up the fantastic, positive attitude!!

Good to see you posting!!! Job well done, sir!! Keep up the good work. May this part of your journey soon be behind you.

Best wishes to you.

Marguerite

I was going to stop posting the updates, since Rob was able to get online but since his procedure was yesterday I thought I would post the last couple updates, since I know people would want to know whats going on.

9/28/10 10:00 am Lets catch up on a few things. The swelling in Bobs arm is down and the scan on it was ok, the test on the chest drain fluid came back as just drainage. Today they did an x-ray of his lungs and chest to check on fluid. He is still draining from his chest so they want to get a look. He will go for the last procedure today between now and 2pm. He has been off food and drink since last night but was able to take his pain meds with a small sip of water. Today’s procedure: When Roselli put the stint around the descending aorta he had to move where the carotid artery comes into the aorta (the bypass). The old artery feeds into the false lumen and aneurysm area of the aorta and to be sure the false lumen clots and seals up with no chance of flow into it, he will insert a coil into the old carotid and completely seal it off. This would be an out-patient type of surgery at home under normal circumstances but here and now it is a bit bigger. He will spend the night in either ICU or ICU step down. Tomorrow we should be back to a regular step down room. He’s tired today and a little stressed about another procedure. I will let you know how things go. Love, Cristi

5:00pm They didn't come get Bob until 3:00. I just met with Dr. Roselli and the procedure went well. He was awake for most of it he said, except for one moment when he dozed off and was talking in his sleep on some trip somewhere. Hope I was with him! We have had some mixed messages today so he is going back to the room we have been in and not the ICU. Good. I am waiting for him to come back now. I know he will be hungry if they haven't fed him already. I have a chocolate covered Dove ice cream bar waiting.. I asked Roselli about the chest drain. He says it's up to Dr. P when it comes out but probably tomorrow. He explained about the area it's in and that it may be causing irritation in the plura of the chest/lung area and causing more fluid production. We will see what tomorrow brings with that.

9/29/10 9 am Dr. Roselli went into Bobs artery through his left arm at the elbow. Due to this, Bob had to keep his left arm straight all night. They also put him back on fluids so his pin cushion right arm (ouch) has an IV. He was a little uncomfortable last night due to these things but he did sleep. Today he had an xray and will have a CT scan. He still has the IV, the chest drain and is back on oxygen. He is a little short of breath today so they have the oxygen back on. Hopefully he will feel up to a couple of good walks and maybe up to the roof. Today is a clear day, we have had rain for 2 days so I want him to enjoy the view from the 10th floor while its nice.

Thanks Lyn..

Christi - your ongoing descriptions of Bob's recovery is truly a marvel for everyone on the website. It's wonderful to hear his progress on a daily basis, however small some of those days were. Keep the faith and we're hanging in there with y'all..!!

Hi Everyone,

Whewwwwww!!!! What a day, I have been on a "no eat or drink" order since yesterday. Today, I had a CT, and also finally got my chest drainage tube removed. WOW.... what a difference that made. It's looking like if everything continues to go well, then I will be "released" either Friday or Saturday. Cristi and I are going to book our flight back to Nashville, just as soon as we get a more confirmed date. I can't wait to go home. I still feel so glad that I chose this hospital, and also had a FANTASTIC team of surgeons. I came here to get myself fixed, so now that I am, I can go home soon, and recoporate with family and friends.

I say a prayer everytime I see one of the medical helicopters come onto the rooftops with a patient. I pray for the patient's safe recovery, guidence to the surgeons hands with a successful surgery, and for comfort to the patients family and friends.

Cristi has sure done a great job of updating my Blog site. What a cronology that has created for my whole event. I know that I would have forgot much of what has happened to me over these last few weeks, and now I have a way to go back and "fill-in" the blanks. Speaking of which, I really think that I blanked out how much discomfort I was in right after surgery, from my last surgery in March of 2000.

I am feeling better everyday now... and now that the drainage tubes are out, the sky's the limit! I know that 24 hours after the drainage tubes are removed, that in itself will make me feel like a new person.

You all have been great! I so enjoy reading your posts and comments, especially during this time.

Well, gotta kick back now a little and rest.

Wishing you all continued good health.

Rob

Latest posts

Back