Nurses and Tape?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Edmonton

What is it with nurses and tape? If I complained about the tape they would put more tape on me. It took me over a week to wash all the tape marks off of my body, thankfully they shaved me first. Did anyone else notice the amount of tape that was used?:tongue2:

My first surgery I had trouble getting all the tape marks off. By the second, I learned baby oil on a cotton ball works gently and effectively.

I would get all my tape marks cleaned off then the next morning found another. I swear someone was taping me at night. I kept telling the family I looked 'basted' from the betadine that stayed on forever.

What is it with nurses and tape? If I complained about the tape they would put more tape on me. It took me over a week to wash all the tape marks off of my body, thankfully they shaved me first. Did anyone else notice the amount of tape that was used?:tongue2:

Being that I can grow a forst of hair overnight when Icame to after two and a half weeks in a coma no matter how much they HAD shaved it was back and yes damn it hurt
pullhair.gif

Then once awake I started to talk and my wife threatened to
zipit.png

My hair started growing back before I got all the glue off. I was pulling out more hair than glue from the tape! Yea it was uncomfortable.

Oh, you mean that alcohol and sandpaper wasn't the answer?

I had tape on my ears, on my neck and in places that no tape should even get close too. I truly believe that these nurses think tape has magic properties, one nurses taping technique was another nurses source for competition.

Yeah, Jim, but at this point most of us are making light of it. It is an annoyance, but certainly not a major issue (at least to me, having little extraneous hair to deal with.)

There are far worse things that we have all dealt with (and will deal with in the future) but here we are, just doing it.

I still have 3 sticky spots on my belly/chest 3 weeks after surgery. Then there is the tape for the IV's...not quite as bad. I got the betadine off after about a week because they had splashed it way up my neck so it was visible for everyone to see. I had 5 chest tubes and have some nice scabs, but they soften up every time I take a shower so who knows when they will fall off. The worst tape is the tape they use for the blood draws. I have actually removed skin when trying to pull that tape off...lol.

Naw Jeff, you must have irked the nurses and they were just getting you back. Mine were gentle as can be, barely remember tape or glue, but have fond (not) recllection at difficulties in finding veins for the IV and many/many tries......gotta take it like a man.

Speaking of which you're about 3 weeks post op, have you had the fun of staple removal yet? that's a treat (not)

enjoy and keep the humour

Gil

Sorry you guys have had to endure this......always ask your nurse, for extra adhesive removal pads( it is usually Citrus adhesive remover, they always carry them in their pockets) to take home upon discharge. Or..... soak some cotton balls in vegetable oil or baby oil...sit them on the area for a few minutes to allow it to absorb, remove the bandage, soak area again, then gently rub off the remaining adhesive with a soft cloth. Add soap to a warm damp washcloth, gently rub area clean of oil and then rinse area to remove soap and pat dry.
Renee

Naw Jeff, you must have irked the nurses and they were just getting you back. Mine were gentle as can be, barely remember tape or glue, but have fond (not) recllection at difficulties in finding veins for the IV and many/many tries......gotta take it like a man.

Speaking of which you're about 3 weeks post op, have you had the fun of staple removal yet? that's a treat (not)

enjoy and keep the humour.

Gil

Not sure what you mean by Staples Gil, I did not get any staples they glued my chest incision or something. I heard something about liquid morphine, I will have to look it up!
Jeff

Not sure what you mean by Staples Gil, I did not get any staples they glued my chest incision or something. I heard something about liquid morphine, I will have to look it up!
Jeff

Some people still get staples to close the incision, they can actually have the kind of scar that the term "zipper" came from. Justin never had staples either, his chest (skin) was always closed with either steri strips or the glue.

Renee, I agree those wipes work really well. We always get packets of the orange med-sol wipes when Justin has surgery or even just for holter monitor electrodes. Some times he has to ask, (which if you didn't have them before you don't know to ask) but the hospitals or heart docs he goes to always have them available. http://www.orange-sol.com/medical/index.html

Latest posts

Back