Nurses and Tape?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of which you're about 3 weeks post op, have you had the fun of staple removal yet? that's a treat (not)

Gil

I am 3 weeks out and had my staples and stitches removed today. The PA came in and started talking with me as the nurse was removing them. She said she does that to distract the patient while they are being removed. I found it no big deal...a little burning but nothing compared to what they did to me while in the hospital...and it sure feels a lot better without them still in there.

:D

My surgeon's assistant said they use "dissolvable internal sutures" that are not visible and eventually are absorbed/dissolved. Looks more like a glue line to me. Maybe they use both or either, depending upon the patient. At any rate, no staples or visible sutures here.

My surgeon's assistant said they use "dissolvable internal sutures" that are not visible and eventually are absorbed/dissolved. Looks more like a glue line to me. Maybe they use both or either, depending upon the patient. At any rate, no staples or visible sutures here.

The dissolving internal sutures are most likely what they used under the skin in the muscles/tissue between the sternum bone and skin, then the skin itself is probably just glued. Pretty much however they close the skin, staples, steri strips or glue the tissue underneath has the dissolvable sutures

FWIW another thing to keep an eye out for (don't you just love all the possible things to watch for?) Some times some of the dissolving sutures don't always dissolve and a couple (usually 1 or 2 not all of them) might work their way out, sometimes it will look like a small pimple on or by the incision, or even a small little thread that might look like a thin black wire. Usually it isn't a big deal, but it's probably good to know its a possibility so if you see something you won't get as worried.

Same here...I had tape everywhere. The shaved my body from neck to toe then stuck all that tape on my arms where all the hair was! Pulling all that off hurt worse than my chest did...:mad:

after my staples were removed about day 10, they put on steri strips, which was ok, except that they began
to get icky when i didn't clean the area properly. my home nurse helped me with that afterwards.

Thanks, Lyn. I've read posts here of others with varying degrees of left-over sutures. Seems that most are benign and can be resolved quickly at the doc's office, though.

Yes, some, (most?) can just be pulled by the doctor or left alone, that's another thing Justin's had problems with which is what made me think to mention it when you said you had dissolving sutures.

Actually most of the bumps I talk about I know about because Justin had them. BTW that reminds me, I wanted to let you know Justin had a pacer put in when he was 10 and went into Complete Heart Block during an interventional cath, he needed surgery the next day, to replace a section of his pulm conduit, so since he was open (and a child) they put it in his chest under his ribs. Any way he was 100% paced for about 6 months and then his heart kicked in and started beating on its own and he didn't use the pacer at all until his next interventional cath a year or so later. The same thing happened after a few months when he was 100% dependant on it, he didn't use it at all. We were all pretty surprised but happy, the first time that his heart started working correctly that many months later. So hopefully even if a couple months pass, and it seems you'll be pacer dependent forever, there is always a chance your heart will take over and the pacer will just be pretty much back up..which as you mentioned in another thread, I kind of liked knowing Justin had one when he wasn't using it, just incase something ever happened it was there, especially since he was pretty active and played alot of sports.

I'm allergic to adhesive tape. They don't seem to pay any attention to that. They always use it and then I break out horribly. Since working in the hospital I now know that they have paper tape that works just as good. I will be sure and tell them that the next time. Now if they will just listen, that's another problem.

I'm allergic to adhesive tape. They don't seem to pay any attention to that. They always use it and then I break out horribly. Since working in the hospital I now know that they have paper tape that works just as good. I will be sure and tell them that the next time. Now if they will just listen, that's another problem.

I wonder if you wore a medic alert bracelet that said you were allergic to "adhesive tape" if they would notice! I used to inspect medical equipment and everything would have tape stuck to it...lol
I love nurses, I'm married to one but she won't listen to me ether for some reason...take care.

I had both dissolvable sutures and glue which caused a rash around my incisions ( not large incisions, had "only minimally invasive surgery)about 2 months after surgery when it started to deteroriate. Wonder if anyone else had the same problem. I do have sensitive skin.

Jeff, I'm starting to think we had the EXACT same experience with our surgeries. I had very little pain post-surgery and when I refused the pain meds and told the nurses that I didn't have any pain, they huffed. I told them all "in fact, the adhesives you're using cause me more discomfort than the sternum does" and then they taped me up even more. When I had to have the saline block IV in my hand replaced they taped it up so much that my hand was not useable again until discharge. Seriously, I have nightmares now about Kathy Bates-style nurses that laugh demonically as they cover me with industrial adhesive tape.

Besides tape made for people with sensitive skin, they also have special electrodes for the different monitors, that are for people with sensative skin you can ask about.

I have found Eucalyptus oil the best product for removing the glue residue from tape. Not certain if this is available outside Australia.
A bit about Eucalyptus oil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_oil
I havent found that many overusers of tape, however I have found some that love to use the clear adhesive sheets and these I have found much harder to remove than tape.
I am not certain what the correct medical term for these sheets are.

Emu - I don't know what they call the adhesive sheets, but I awoke from surgery with them in all kinds of places. No fun to remove, but at least the nurses knew it and removed them as gently as possible.

Jeff, I'm starting to think we had the EXACT same experience with our surgeries. Seriously, I have nightmares now about Kathy Bates-style nurses that laugh demonically as they cover me with industrial adhesive tape.

Now were talking...lol.

I had the same experience with the IV in my hand, Nurse "Bates" had to put another IV into my forearm.
I am tempted to start a thread on "potty training" 101.

Last edited:
Back