Nurses and Tape?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a tape allergy which is documented but that didn't stop them from ripping off the tape where my tubes were.. It blistered and was sooo itchy..They gave me some SSarna lotion which helped alittle.. They also kept changing my telementry leads and then found it needed a battery.. I kept finding new ones I didn't know I had...

Get revenge on the "tape freak" nurses.....offer them a piece of chocolate......(ex-lax) doubles nicely.

I would have been pleased if I received a box of ex-lax chocolate as a gift after surgery! I needed that.:biggrin2:

Sorry you guys have had to endure this......always ask your nurse, for extra adhesive removal pads............Renee

Renee is right :thumbup:. My home nurse gave me a few of those and they worked wonders.

............ some of the dissolving sutures don't always dissolve and a couple (usually 1 or 2 not all of them) might work their way out, sometimes it will look like a small pimple on or by the incision, or even a small little thread that might look like a thin black wire. Usually it isn't a big deal, but it's probably good to know its a possibility so if you see something you won't get as worried.

Lyn, you are so meticulous :thumbup: This happened to me and if I had not read it before on this wonderful site, I would have freaked out seeing those thin black wires coming out of my chest.

Lyn and Renee, it will be useful to add your advice to the sticky "what to expect after surgery", if we have one!

Jeff - Upon reading my post, it seems to come across as scolding. Please accept my apology, as this was NOT my intent. I was trying (at an early hour in the AM) to inject some levity to a serious topic. I could share some stories that were, at the time, hilarious to me and my family, but if I do so it will be in another thread with the clear intent of humor.

I'm sorry if I came across as a grumpy old man -- sometimes I are one. . .

I've had the adhesive sheets over IV sites on my hands when I've had antibs for cellulitis in my arms. Not fun.

I had an adhesive sheet over my incision. I still shiver when I remember the pain I felt when the NP removed it very abruptly:eek2::eek2: I think the whole ICU patients heard my scream, though I consider myself tough when it comes to pain, but not that time and without any warning!! I gave the NP my peace of mind and I never saw her again after that morning:tongue2:

I've had the adhesive sheets over IV sites on my hands when I've had antibs for cellulitis in my arms. Not fun.

I had an adhesive sheet over my incision. I still shiver when I remember the pain I felt when the NP removed it very abruptly:eek2::eek2: I think the whole ICU patients heard my scream, though I consider myself tough when it comes to pain, but not that time and without any warning!! I gave the NP my piece of mind and I never saw her again after that morning:tongue2:

To many bandaids can hurt

To many bandaids can hurt

Bina and Steve,

This is how I felt when I left the hospital...:frown2:

frankly.gif

First time I had glue...this time staples. I had them taken out about a week ago and like Bina got the steri-strips. They told me that they would fall off after a week and if they hadn't to just pull them off.

After I had my wires removed 6 months after my first surgery I had the suture that popped it's head above the skin line. I called my surgeon and he said I could come into the office to take care of it or I could do a "suturectomy" myself. He told me how to do it and it was done 1 minute later...lol. He told me to pull the suture up slightly, snip it with some sharp scissors (after wiping them with an alcohol wipe) and it should retreat back under the skin...and that is what happened...just like the shaver commercials lol. It saved me a hour and a half round trip to his office plus the office charge.

BTW I am 4 weeks post-op today and I think I am finally "sticky spots" free. :D

Back