St Jude Mechanical Valve plastic model

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartman77

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi all.....I had told Ross this but in case anyone else may be interested I will post it here....I received a St Jude Masters series Aortic valve and am always asked a lot of questions about it. I emailed St Jude medical and asked if they had any small plastic models of the valve I have in me, and within 2 days a Fed Ex envelope arrived with a little "demo" valve inside. The leaflets open and close and it has a nice little white cloth type material sewing ring. I carry it as my good luck charm and when asked what I had done during heart surgery, I whip out my little plastic valve and show what it is I have in my chest. It makes it easier to explain to friends and family what was wrong and what i now have that has corrected my valve problem. Heartfelt Hugs.........Michael

Too cool!
My surgeon gave me the box my St Jude valve came in, including the instruction booklet on how to install it!
Mark

I too wrote to the manufacturer and received the same size valve that was given to me, along with a magazine type book that describes what tools are needed how to stitch the valve in place.

It's amazing how large 29mm and your heart is approximately the size of your fist, and this valve is in there doing it's job.

In any case, I now have spare parts if need be :biggrin2:

Michael, not long after AVR I also requested and received a plastic model from St Jude. Makes it a lot easier to explain a mechanical heart valve. I believe my installed valve is 23 MM. We had a similar valve where I worked in the flue stack of a furnace, only it was 12 ft diameter and made of metal. ;)

Too cool!
My surgeon gave me the box my St Jude valve came in, including the instruction booklet on how to install it!
Mark

Is that in case it gets pulled out by a refrigerator magnet? :cool2:

Mike, I got a demo valve from St. Jude, too. The only thing that concerned me when I got it was that when I held it up to the light, and the valve was closed, I could sure see a lot of light coming through. And the fabric around the ring? It's the same as a scrunchy I'd use to pull my hair back with. I posted about that here and was assured that's what the cheapy plastic demo does, but the real thing doesn't.

Luana ......the real one is made of pyolitic carbon and the sewing ring isn't made of scrunchy material but you are right....the demo model sewing ring does look like that lol....Michael

LOL for mine, they offered to give me a picture of the valve(s) they'll put in me if i wanted. but i thought that was kind of creepy and i gave my surgeon the side eye.

It's actually kind of fun to have a demo. Most people have no idea what their own heart valves look like, much less a mechanical replacement.

i'd ask for a demo if i find out exactly what kind i have (i know now that i'll probably get a st jude something or the other -- still hoping for the EMPEROR KING). but i wasn't sure what to do with the photo... like. stick it on my fridge? be like THAT'S INSIDE ME! that seemed grody. but a demo would be fun to have. ... my cats might like it as a toy? haha.

You'll know what you have after your surgery and then you can email St. Jude Medical and ask for a demo. You'll probably get a Regent or Masters, Regent is the newer model. And seeing as how you're a JD, Regent sounds higher up than Masters :D (ok, bad joke).
They'll also send you a little booklet that has a loose photo of the valve and once you've registered it, you'll get wallet-size plastic ID card, too. Yeah, we get a lot of perks, huh? Lol. :rolleyes:

I think the SUPREME EMPEROR TURBOCHARGED DYNANO KING is the model you would want ...thats the TOP DOG!!!! ;-) Michael

LOL omg i love it. that's definitely the one i want.

and luana, once upon a time i was getting my masters, then silly me thought a jd would be the way to go.

Actually, I've heard their newest model coming out soon will be called Pika. :D

my pika is such a haughty kitty, that she might very well think she's far superior to any regent. it's ok, though. she's super cute so she gets away with it. i mean, hey, she and my other cat put the 90 lb akita mix in his place.

Latest posts

Back