New member - AVR Surgery set for May 17th 2010 at Royal Vic in Montreal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyguy17

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi, I am a new member having joined the forum earlier this week and one of the senior members Bina (fellow Canuck) suggested that I start a new thread to properly introduce myself to the group...thanks for the encouragement Bina.

Am 56 male and about to undergo replacement of my bicuspid aortic valve as well as repair/replacement of the mitral valve (mitral correction will be fully determined at surgery).

About 4 years ago at 52, during annual exam, my GP picked up regurgitation sounds and referred me to cardiologist Dr. Mayer and echo test revealed bicuspid aortic valve with likely some mitral valve damage.

Gradual deterioration over the 4 years, with cardiologist expressing acceleration in past 6 months and some urgency for surgery and prompting to get an angiogram test.

Feeling fine, i was skeptical of the cardiologist's expressed urgency with echo done in March and a result of .5cm or 25 % effciency, so I agreed to further tests.

My expressed sentiment was "Why would he want to hurt me so bad, when i feel fine, am not sick enough for OHS:eek:"

Angiogram with Dr Beaudry in early April , quickly followed by meeting with surgeon Dr Lachapelle, confirmed that aortic valve is classified as severe stenosis and that surgery should not be postponed.

Good news from angiogram is that pump and arteries are very good, although heart oversized , so diagnosis is I just a requirement for a lil' valve job. :D

Was surprised at the urgency for surgery expressed by caridologist, confirmed by angiogram doctor and further confirmed by surgeon.:confused:

Felt/experienced no symptoms, yet 3 very accomplished professionals could not be wrong in their diagnostic and all encouraged getting it done soon, whereby May 17th was set as the date for surgery. No symptoms, such as shortness of breath, dizziness, but am now judging that being aware of the consequences i had likely adjusted activities/lifestyle to pace myself and pospone the outcome of surgery.

At 56 years of age, the valve decision is not as easy as it may have been for some others , initial choice was mechanical, then porcine for no meds and now coming full circle back to mechanical, as have received the education that the hassle and risks of anti-coagulant, likely outweigh the stong probability of a 2nd OHS in my liefetime, with a tissue valve.

Am very encouraged by what am reading on St-Jude Regent and On-X and looking forward to meeting with Surgeon this Wednesday for further discussion on his valve preferences and why.

So an 8 day coutdown to surgery begins and i would like to thank Ross and members of the forum who have already helped me tremendously in understanding the process and some of what i can do to prepare for pre-op and some post op knowledge as well.

I did know that many had preceded me in the process of AVR and this forum is strong documentation to assist newbies like myself in clarifying many unknowns.

Fear yes, but less so that a short week ago, as i have the power, leverage and experience of the forum members and pioneers.

Thank you to the founders, administrators and contributing members

Gil

Welcom to the forum. You can get lots of info, support and "been there, done that" here. I had few symptoms prior to my surgery, but, like you, I put a lot of faith in a couple of cardios and a surgeon.

Welcome Gil, I have recently had an aortic valve replaced and did not have many symptoms until recently (over the past year). I have known about the valve problem for 23 years and on the day I went into hospital I went for a short run up the local hill and swam half a mile with no problems. I did think to myself that this was the best I had felt for many months and why was I having surgery!!! After surgery the surgeon said that the valve was heavily calcified and did need doing. I have noticed that I do not get the slight shortness of breath (especially when relaxing) which was not really noticable before. I have kept myself fit for many years so I have grown up with the symptoms and did not notice them. The surgery is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be so it is best to get the surgery done whilst you are still OK. I found the fear totally disappeared once I got to the hospital as there were quite a few other patients in the same ward who had had heart surgery over the past few days and they all looked remarkably well. This was a real confidence boost. I have now got a mechanical valve which was my first and only choice. Many go for tissue valves and you will find it is a very personal choice.

All the best with your surgery - you will soon be on the other side recovering.
Martin

If your hearts enlarged, it's time to act. Mine was left go too long and as a result, it's forever enlarged and not functioning fully. You don't want to do that to yourself, believe me.

Count your blessings that you have a concerned cardiologist. Having no symptoms despite a severely diseased valve is a problem I shared. As my surgeon said, with my tiny valve, huge chamber pressures and enlarging heart, my first symptom might well have been my last. Get it overwith while you are still healthy.

Hi Gil, you are going to do great we are all pulling for you on the 17th. You will be pleased at how good you feel several days weeks & months down the road post op.
Kurt

Thanks Group and un merci a Adrienne (fellow Montrealer),

with a week to go, am quite lucky to be able to get my ducks in a row, small dental work, haircut etc....and if lucky and it warms up, may even be able to plant tomato plants and other annuals before surgery and watch them grow while in rehab (smile)

now if only the weather would cooperate, geez, anyone with influence on weather patterns? (smile)

Gil

Gil, have you considered if your wife will stay overnight at the hospital with you on the 17th ?
My husband drove back and forth (Montreal and past Rigaud) each day. He literally slept 5 hours and would drive back.
He didn't want to sleep at the hospital because of our animals at home, but they did offer it to him. I guess he looked tired. ;)

We had a rotation schedule for my daughter and a neighbour during the day for pet care,
and I am glad that I planned that because I was in hospital for 16 days.
My poor husband was a total wreck by the time I was able to go home.

Welcome Aboard Gil !

FYI, Heart Enlargement IS a symptom. At some point it can become irreversible, hence the urgency.

Also, many Cardiologists and Surgeons consider an Effective Valve Area of 0.8 sq cm to be their "trigger" for recommending replacement of a Stenotic Aortic Valve.

EVERYONE is scared and most report that the Waiting is the Worst Part of the whole experience.
Just be thankful that you live in a time and age when these kinds of problems can be Fixed with a high rate of Success,
typically 98% for first time surgeries vs. almost certain demise if the Valve is not replaced.

Hopefully you will reach that feeling of Peace that often comes after Acceptance of your situation.

Best Wishes,

'AL Capshaw'

Gil, have you considered if your wife will stay overnight at the hospital with you on the 17th ?
My husband drove back and forth (Montreal and past Rigaud) each day. He literally slept 5 hours and would drive back.
He didn't want to sleep at the hospital because of our animals at home, but they did offer it to him. I guess he looked tired. ;)

We had a rotation schedule for my daughter and a neighbour during the day for pet care,
and I am glad that I planned that because I was in hospital for 16 days.
My poor husband was a total wreck by the time I was able to go home.

Ooofff, pour you and spouse, 16 days sounds long and complicated, Thanks for the heads up on the commute for my spouse, distance and traffic for her daily commute (and she insists) is a concern for me as well,

For the dog, we have made arrangements for week 1, the Golden retriever will be vacationing with a caring individual (lucky her and us for week one).

Was not aware of possibility of overnight stay for spouse at RV and will make inquiries for that and/or parking pass, as am at RV for pre-op tests on Wednesday

will plan for possibility and thanks for the heads up

Gil

Welcome Aboard Gil !

FYI, Heart Enlargement IS a symptom. At some point it can become irreversible, hence the urgency.

Also, many Cardiologists and Surgeons consider an Effective Valve Area of 0.8 sq cm to be their "trigger" for recommending replacement of a Stenotic Aortic Valve.

EVERYONE is scared and most report that the Waiting is the Worst Part of the whole experience.
Just be thankful that you live in a time and age when these kinds of problems can be Fixed with a high rate of Success,
typically 98% for first time surgeries vs. almost certain demise if the Valve is not replaced.

Hopefully you will reach that feeling of Peace that often comes after Acceptance of your situation.

Best Wishes,

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks Al, am quoting you, because i have just recently become aware, that i have been pushing the limit with my delays and pushback on cardiologist. Was a big chicken on making changes to my wonderful lifestyle (smile)

Good news today is that i have acceptance that it needs doing and am just slightly scared at outcome (smile)

as previously mentioned, question but trust the professionals, the numbers do not lie and hopefully a small lesson to be had here for the next AVR candidates

thank you as a pioneer in helping us newbies along with the [process

Gil

Latest posts

Back