New member - AVR Surgery set for May 17th 2010 at Royal Vic in Montreal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gil,

You are definitely doing the right thing! I was 56 at the time of my surgery, a little over two yrs ago. I really did not have any noticable symptoms, and was pretty much in denial. Always physically fit, and active I just COULD NOT BELIEVE the diagnosis! I figured three different cardios couldn't be wrong. Doing well now.

It will all be behind you very soon! Welcome to VR.com.

Gil, that is amazing you've not had symptoms, but even if you have not noticed any I believe you will notice more energy soon after the surgery. I am 58 and had a new mech aortic valve put in almost 4 months ago, and have been rejuvenated! I had severe symptoms before surgery, but even the first few weeks after surgery whilst recovering from that, I already had more energy. Now I feel as if I am the Energizer Bunny, figuratively speaking! The good news is that this type of surgery has a very high success rate. Just remember to rest when you feel like it and allow yourself time to heal. Any major surgery is a stress, but the cool thing about AVR is that the improved heart function is noticeable fairly quickly after surgery.

Gil, Best of luck to you, I'm sure your outcome will be well. Preventive maintance before trouble and damage is always the best route to take. I myself am looking at a reop June 8, and even going with a tissue valve again at 47yo. So a 3rd reop is a great possibility, but as everyone will tell you its a personal choice for reasons only you know. I believe the anticipation is probably the toughest part of going through the process, medication helps with the recovery. Recovery also gives time to reflect on what is really important to you and how you might find the time to cherrish your gift of extended life. Also remember to push yourself through recovery but don't overextend your limitations. You'll feel much better in the long run.
mike

Gil, Also another suggestion. get a short hair cut, and if you have body hair, trim it all short. It seems they tape about every spot on your body that has hair so it makes for removal a little easier, less painful. Stock up on everything you might need for two weeks beforehand unless you have close supervision to help. I can remeber the simple things can be difficult the first few weeks. It is amazing how fast you will feel better though.
MK

Yep, enlarged heart -- mine was severely so, even though I had few outward signs of it, and it had to be taken care of pronto. Sounds like you have come to acceptance, which is good. Confident you will do well. We will be there with you in spirit on the 17th and then during your recovfery afterwards. Keep us posted as you can.

Welcome Gil and we are all pulling for you! Four weeks ago, I had an aortic valve replaced...like you, there was a decision between the two valves and the doctor decided on a mechanical valvue much for the same reasons you are getting one. Don't want to do this one over!!!!! The hard part is waiting... and when you are recovering, just tell youself everyday gets better and better!

Gil, Also another suggestion. get a short hair cut, and if you have body hair, trim it all short. It seems they tape about every spot on your body that has hair so it makes for removal a little easier, less painful. Stock up on everything you might need for two weeks beforehand unless you have close supervision to help. I can remeber the simple things can be difficult the first few weeks. It is amazing how fast you will feel better though.
MK

mkwenter,

Thanks for the tip on head hair and possibly bodyhair as well...guess a brushcut is on the calendar for next few days, miltary style, which would be a 1st for me. (Grin)

At 56 am (somewhat) blessed with a full head of hair and body looking like a grizzly, now leaning more to the white polar bear look, LOL

Do remember quite well the dry shaving done with a dull razor to apply the stress test monitors (what was she thinking, doing that with a smile...sadistic...smile)

Am in pre-op test clinic tomorrow so will ask for clarification, cause i can likely do it much more gently than they can ( am big chicken - smile)

Gil

Gil, Best of luck to you, I'm sure your outcome will be well. Preventive maintance before trouble and damage is always the best route to take. I myself am looking at a reop June 8, and even going with a tissue valve again at 47yo. So a 3rd reop is a great possibility, but as everyone will tell you its a personal choice for reasons only you know. I believe the anticipation is probably the toughest part of going through the process, medication helps with the recovery. Recovery also gives time to reflect on what is really important to you and how you might find the time to cherrish your gift of extended life. Also remember to push yourself through recovery but don't overextend your limitations. You'll feel much better in the long run.
mike

mkwenter,

Am understanding that choices need to be made re: lifestyle and work passion, if am reading your profile right, 11 years was your history on a bio prosthetic, that is short period and a tough call, but you must be passionate about your choices to be considering a 2nd and possibly a 3rd...wow that is gutsy...but some say your bio choice may in 2010 be more long lasting...so wishing for you that the 2nd is the final time and it may well be the case.

you are absolutely right on taking the rehab as "a period of reflection" to think about what next...may be a nice pause from the circular threadmill.... for a while while ...although am hoping it is short. (smile)

Am hoping the Kryptonite glue may help somewhat, as surgeon seems open to trying

Gil

hi gil,
wishing you all the best on the 17th. we'll all be thinking of and praying for you.
would you please have someone post for you so that we may know how you are doing?
looking forward to seeing you back here after the 17th.
stay well,
sylvia

Keep busy!

Keep busy!

I had my bi-cuspid aortic valve replaced a while back (6 1/2 days ago to be exact) and I think the best advice I can give you leading up to the last few days is keep busy! Stay focused on getting things ready (like your tomatoes!). That'll keep your mind from wandering. When I was at your point (a couple wks ago) I was at peace with the decision to go forward with it, even though I could have easily let myself wonder - is it really time? I had some symptoms, but felt way too healthy to need surgery. I was also just as at peace when they were shaving me and putting me nite-nite right before the surgery. And this forum had a lot to do with the peace I felt - it is truly a blessing!!! So, keep busy! I re-tiled a kitchen floor, bought and picked up a new recliner - carried it downstairs myself, etc., etc. in the last couple days before surgery. I was so focused on getting things ready, I kept forgetting - oh yea, tomorrow I'll be in surgery... Like everyone says - trust the numbers. I asked for my old valve as a souvenier, and after surgery, the surgeon said my old one was calcified so bad he had to cut it out in pieces, so not sure he'll be able to get it back to me as a recognizable valve ;) In other words, even though I felt good before the surgery, I really wasn't - and my diagnosis right before surgery sounds pretty similar to yours (slightly enlarged heart, moderate to severe stenosis/regurgitation). So git er dun! In a couple short weeks, you'll be right where I'm at tonight - extremely happy to be on the other side of the surgery and starting recovery (and doing great I might add). Good luck!!!

Oh, and was gonna add - I was going back and forth for a while on mechanical vs. tissue. Ross and others on here and elsewhere helped me feel comfortable with mechanical, and I'm glad they did! As smooth as the surgery went, I still wouldn't want to go through it again in a few years. So, even though I hate needles, am terrible at remembering to take pills, was worried about side-effects, diet changes etc., all that pales in comparison to another surgery. And, I got some great news from my surgeon about a week before surgery, and again from a nurse just a couple days ago about breakthroughs being made in anti-coagulation. I'm no expert, so don't trust this too much, but I've heard it twice now, from diff. people, so suspect there may be something to it. First, the surgeon said that the St. Judes Regent has as much chance as the On-X as potentially not needing anti-coags some day. And... The nurse said the other day that there's a Coumadin replacement that's being tested and likely coming on the market soon which has some great benefits (not needing INR tests as often, no diet changes needed). So again, it could all be false, but I'm gonna start researching it. The reason I bring it up, I think there's hope that the anti-coag stuff routine may get a little (or a lot!) better in the future, so that helped make me even more comfortable w/ the mechanical. Hope I'm not steering anyone wrong with this though - as others have said - don't bet on what MAY come - prepare as if you will be on Coumadin rest of your life - but I think it's ok to HOPE we won't all have to be!

Oh, and was gonna add - I was going back and forth for a while on mechanical vs. tissue. Ross and others on here and elsewhere helped me feel comfortable with mechanical, and I'm glad they did! As smooth as the surgery went, I still wouldn't want to go through it again in a few years. So, even though I hate needles, am terrible at remembering to take pills, was worried about side-effects, diet changes etc., all that pales in comparison to another surgery. And, I got some great news from my surgeon about a week before surgery, and again from a nurse just a couple days ago about breakthroughs being made in anti-coagulation. I'm no expert, so don't trust this too much, but I've heard it twice now, from diff. people, so suspect there may be something to it. First, the surgeon said that the St. Judes Regent has as much chance as the On-X as potentially not needing anti-coags some day. And... The nurse said the other day that there's a Coumadin replacement that's being tested and likely coming on the market soon which has some great benefits (not needing INR tests as often, no diet changes needed). So again, it could all be false, but I'm gonna start researching it. The reason I bring it up, I think there's hope that the anti-coag stuff routine may get a little (or a lot!) better in the future, so that helped make me even more comfortable w/ the mechanical. Hope I'm not steering anyone wrong with this though - as others have said - don't bet on what MAY come - prepare as if you will be on Coumadin rest of your life - but I think it's ok to HOPE we won't all have to be!

I just don't want people getting their hopes up on a Coumadin replacement. This has been an ongoing thing for over 9 years now. Dibigatran looks promising, but so far, no mention of testing in valve patients.

I directed this exact question at my last visit to Cleve Clinic. There are new anti-coagulation coming down the pike, but they will unlikely be of any help in Mechanical Heart valves. They will be used and directed toward other heart conditions requiring anti-coagulation. That is what they "quoted me". My choice for a valve was difficult as well as yours. Factors I consider are employment, I’m a full time intercity firefighter and hope to continue, otherwise healthy and stay active outdoors, riding motorcycles, hiking remotely, camping, fishing (always worried about a fish hook injury) LOL and I can’t even remember to take a baby aspirin everyday as required. I have a 12yo at home and keep her active as much as possible. "FOR ME", it wasn’t a lifestyle change I was ready for. Many do very well with anti-coagulation, as I’m sure you will. I will pay the price down the road knowing a 3rd operation looms ahead. But it will be no different than the surgery I face now, which really has only been a problem the last 4 months. And yes I’m aware that my health may be totally different 12 years from now which might give complications. The only guarantees we have are what we are faced with now. You are doing the right thing to go through this now, while you are strong and otherwise healthy.

As to the hair cut, don’t cut it all off, just High and Tight, you will feel more comfortable in bed. Body hair short for those sensitive tape removal days to follow. So don't shave your legs, it won't make you look any better. :)
MWK

Hi group,

just had my day of pre-op tests, Xrays, Blood, EKG, BP etc and meet for briefing, GP doctor, anesthesilogist, ICU nurse ( not sure if every clinic does it this way, but it turned out to be about an hour of face time over almost 6 hours of elapsed time, so when I factor in the + 4 hour commute, this day was long and tiring.

Everything looks on track for admitance on Sunday and early AM operation on Monday, which would suit me just fine, so hope schedule is confirmed for admitance on Sunday (They leave an out till last day here).

Not sure if these are some of "those symptoms", but have nagging weight and tightness in chest cavity, more prominent in past few days, but have had it for quite some time and just chose to ignore and for some reason by systolic BP, normally at 130-135 is just recently jumping up to 160 a few days ago and 170 today when at rest and heartbeat down to 60 from my norm 70? Stress or symptoms, but whatever am more convinced than ever to "git it done" as said by ARGREENMN.

by the way ARGreenMN, you are setting up for record recovery time, good on you and very motivational for us up and comers (smile), thanks for keeping us in the loop on your progress

This forum has been really good in helping me along with tips, education and support...thank you all for kind words and information

Gil

Yes, your chest tightness must have been due to all the stress of this past couple of weeks. Try your best to relax and move slow.
Thursday has a great weather forecast, park yourself in a deck chair.

Git 'er Dun!

Git 'er Dun!

Sounds like you're doing the right thing Gil, and your path sounds very familiar, including the long pre-op day! I wouldn't be surprised if the higher BP is just stress, but the tightness in the chest is all-too-familiar, and something I also tried to ignore, probably for way too long. Best of luck, and keep us posted when you feel up to it. Will be thinking about you Sun & Mon, but I know you'll do fine! The next few days will fly by, and just think, before you know it, we're going to be sitting right here comparing notes about recovery. And I bet we'll be adding another voice to the "geez, it really just wasn't all that bad" column!

Thanks guys and gals,

Am officially as of today, off work (yahoo), calls rerouted, email rerouted, wow there is a benefit to OHS (smile/grin).

Will be following in ARGreenMN's footsteps, of trying to get the manual chores done, install AC, mow the lawn (mostly tractor) etc...and getting that haircut (short)

it is a beautiful day in Montreal, sunny in 10-15C - 60-70F for American friends and am looking forward to the distractions.

At 56 years, valve choices were made and discussed with surgeon yesterday and Edwards Magna (bovine) is 1st choice and St-Jude Regent mechanical is a fallback plan B (depending on assessment of MV at surgery)

I can truly thank this forum, for providing sufficient education to have an intelligent conversation with the surgeon on making the right choice for me..."vive la difference" as is said in French and although there is much choice and factors in choices to be made, have learned the lesson to be as informed as possible, discuss with surgeon and use his experience in assisting with the choice.

the stars are aligning and it will be a very good day, indeed and am at total peace.

y'all have great day as well

Gil

Latest posts

Back