7 weeks post-surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandra

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm mostly feeling well and more confident in my recovery, which hasn't been the smoothest. It is nice to be approaching feeling normal now. I do have a question and would love to hear from any others that have experienced high blood pressure after three weeks post surgery. Or if anyone can shed some light that would be appreciated. My surgery was a re-do aortic valve (originally a bicuspid valve). I only weigh around 46 kilo and the first replacement valve was a 19mm bovine which lasted nine years. My recent replacement is an Inspiris Resilia 21mm valve. I'm not sure of the technical name, but the aortic root space was enlarged to allow the slightly bigger valve. I have had low blood pressure all of my life, but suddenly about four weeks ago it became high (around 160/85 or 90). I thought it may be temporary but it has persisted. My doctor has put me onto Metoprolol 2.5mg morning and night and Perindopril 4mg in the morning. My BP is still around 130/75 and my heart rate is around 60. On day 10 after surgery I had atrial fibrillation and was hospitalised. I was given Amiodarone in hospital. A loop recorder implant to monitor my heart rate was inserted (it got infected and I was put on 10 days of anti-biotics). I took myself off the Amiodarone three weeks ago, as my stomach felt like it had concrete in it and was so bloated up that it hurt my ribs when I walked. I also couldn't poop for about four days. After that is when my BP went up. Could it be related? I have spoken to my surgeon and also my GP, and both have said that my high BP is in response to my bigger valve (that because my blood can suddenly flow so much more freely, it has been like pressure being released). Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think my BP rise is temporary? I've never been on medication before. I am very fit normally and have a very healthy lifestyle. My heart rate is steady (no more AF incidences. Thanks in advance for any replies

Hi Sandra
I only weigh around 46 kilo and the first replacement valve was a 19mm bovine which lasted nine years.

its a bit late to mention this now, but AFAIK the combination of smaller valve and female makes shorter life of the valve more likely

My recent replacement is an Inspiris Resilia 21mm valve
that should last a bit longer ... I'm not sure of your age.
.... A loop recorder implant to monitor my heart rate was inserted (it got infected and I was put on 10 days of anti-biotics).
bummer, sorry to hear that.

I took myself off the Amiodarone three weeks ago, as my stomach felt like it had concrete in it and was so bloated up that it hurt my ribs when I walked. I also couldn't poop for about four days.
so has that changed after ceasing the amiodarone? Constipation is common after general anaesthetic ...

After that is when my BP went up. Could it be related? I have spoken to my surgeon and also my GP, and both have said that my high BP is in response to my bigger valve (that because my blood can suddenly flow so much more freely, it has been like pressure being released). Has anyone else experienced this?
no, I don't recall that for myself, but changes after replacing the valve take time to filter through. Much of this regulation is "autonomic" (meaning you aren't conscious of it) and just takes time for all the systems to reprogram themselves.

Do you think my BP rise is temporary?
probably

I've never been on medication before.
trust me, all of it is needed and you may do yourself long term harm by taking yourself off things.

To be frank I've seen more people harmed by well meaning "natural therapies" types than I care to know. If I was you I'd stick with what you are being directed to take for at least the first 3 months.

Best Wishes

I'm no Doctor...but my understanding is that 130/65 and hr of 60 is quite healthy.

I second Pellicle's comments on medication. Without meds I have both hypertension and high cholesterol. Both conditions are partly due to heredity and partly due to being 30 - 40 lbs overweight.

However, both conditions have been treated successfully for about 35 years with prescription meds and a regular routine of walking for exercise. My Doctors have told me that if the meds work, then it is the equivalent of not having the conditions and the consequences of them.

Proof for me was an excellent cardiac Cath just prior to my surgery.

Drugs + exercise has worked well for me. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back