Joining the Club

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveb

I just got back from my angiogram (everything looks good) and have a surgery date for Dec 7th for my BAVR.

It's been quite a ride the past few months. I am an avid runner and had a big year of Ultras on the schedule. Last spring I started noticing some breathing difficulties very early in runs, and actually passed out a couple of times. It didn't affect every run and I completed 6 ultra's with no problems, though a little slower than I would have liked :eek:
After the 2nd time I passed out I decided to see my PCP, who decided it was exercise inuduced asthma, I pushed for more and he finally requested an echocardiogram. The initial echo showed an area of 12mm, MG of 52, AV of 4.7m. The first cardiologist that I went to told me to stop running, and that he would suggest doing something when it affected by life. I found a different cardio, who requested an echo by his team, and the area came in at 8mm, with the gradient and velocity being the same. He recommended surgery and I met with the surgeon last week and away we go.

I just wanted to thank every body who posts on here. I read through lots of posts when deciding which type valve to go with (decided on Biological) and have read through many reports.

Dave

Welcome to the site, Dave. And best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery; take care :)

Welcome, Dave. Happy you found us but sorry for the reason.
This site has helped so many of us through the wait, surgery and recovery. Any questions, just ask. Most times someone will know the answer.

...The first cardiologist that I went to told me to stop running, and that he would suggest doing something when it affected by life. ....

It becomes blatantly obvious what your cardiologist truly thinks of exercise when they can make a comment like that, not being able to run does affect your life. Glad to see that you went to a different cardiologist.

Welcome to the club, I look forward to hearing about the runs on the other side.

I just got back from my angiogram (everything looks good) and have a surgery date for Dec 7th for my BAVR.

It's been quite a ride the past few months. I am an avid runner and had a big year of Ultras on the schedule. Last spring I started noticing some breathing difficulties very early in runs, and actually passed out a couple of times. It didn't affect every run and I completed 6 ultra's with no problems, though a little slower than I would have liked :eek:
After the 2nd time I passed out I decided to see my PCP, who decided it was exercise inuduced asthma, I pushed for more and he finally requested an echocardiogram. The initial echo showed an area of 12mm, MG of 52, AV of 4.7m. The first cardiologist that I went to told me to stop running, and that he would suggest doing something when it affected by life. I found a different cardio, who requested an echo by his team, and the area came in at 8mm, with the gradient and velocity being the same. He recommended surgery and I met with the surgeon last week and away we go.

I just wanted to thank every body who posts on here. I read through lots of posts when deciding which type valve to go with (decided on Biological) and have read through many reports.

Dave

HUH? I don't understand the echo measurements you listed.
The units of measurement in your post are not consistent with the parameters being measured.

Valve AREA is expressed in SQUARE cm (cm^2) (NOT mm which is a linear measurement)
You gave NO units for the MG measurement (I *assume* you mean Mitral Gradient which is measured in millimeters of Mercury - mmHG)
"AV of 4.7m" is confusing. AV= Aortic Valve but you did not say what Parameter was being measured.
4.7m = 4.7 METERS which is approximately 15.4 FEET Anything that big woud NOT fit in your body!

That said, you were wise to find another cardiologist! :)

If your Aortic Valve Area is 0.8 sq cm (and not 8mm), then his recommendation for surgery is consistent with the 'usual' guidelines.

My pcp also thought I had asthma as well. Being hypervigilant paid off. Good luck with your surgery.

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you persisted in getting to the bottom of your problem. There's a lot on the forum about our denial, but when the doctor is in denial, it's pretty scary! When I asked my cardiologist about symptoms, she said "you pass out, you go straight to the hospital" (for valve replacement).

Welcome to the Forum, Dave! There are plenty of avid runners, cyclists, and general exercise enthusiasts on here who no doubt will be glad to share their experiences with you as you go forward. All best to you. Look forward to your further posts.

Last edited:
Hey Dave!:smile2:

Welcome to The Club! It's warm and welcoming, but oh, what an initiation you have to go through in order to join!:eek2:

No worries . . . .we've got your back until you're safely on the other side of replacement.:thumbup:

It will be behind you before you know it and you will be feeling good for christmas.

Hey =)
Welcome, i've been on here a few weeks now and there all brilliant, so you've deffinalty come to the right place :D
Good luck for your surgery, i hope everything goes well,
Luv Sarah xx

Welcome to our community! Glad you had the drive to pursue answers which made sense to you. Will you be having your surgery in Corvallis? I'm in Portland Metro and my surgery 4 years ago was at Good Sam -- fantastic facility and right by NW 23rd so everyone "waiting" for you can wander some posh stores and eateries instead of dreary hospital hallways. :wink2:

Wishing you the best. Keep us posted -- we're thinking of you now!

Marguerite

Thanks everybody. The next couple weeks will be anxious, but I'm super busy at work so the time will fly by.

Marguerite, I will be having my surgery at Riverbend/OHVI in Eugene\Springfield, by Dr. Duke. When I talked with a cardiologist in Corvallis, I was left with more questions than answers, and felt that he did not listen to my symptoms. When I asked to talk with another cardiologist in the same clinic, they said that they could not do that. So, I got me records and went to Eugene.

Latest posts

Back