Is it really 30 days before you can drive?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosebud54

I just don't know how I can wait the entire 30 days until I can drive. I live alone and don't have a someone to take me to work. I would like to start working a few hours a day at about the 3.5 week mark.

Anyone else drive sooner?

Carol

Hate to tell you this Carol, but I believe the norm is 6 weeks. I myself drove after 4 weeks due to a small family emergency and even then it was tough.

Shoulder checking was challenging, the seat belt was troublesome as it rubbed against the incision and I felt every single bump in the road. I swear, if I drove over a rock, I felt it.

Have you talked to your doctor about going back to work? Have you considered taking a taxi?

Oh my...my doctor said 30 days. I see him for my post op on 29 Apr, I guess he'll reinforce the no driving then-:( I could take a taxi. Thanks

Carol

Different surgeons have different criteria for when you can drive. My first surgeon said I could drive as soon as I was off of all pain meds. The surgeon the just performed my recent surgery said 6 weeks. I had a checkup with him at 3 weeks and asked his PA if I could just drive up to the store and my pharmacy (both just a couple of miles away) and she said yes at 4 weeks. I took that as a yes, the next day. ;)

She said that 6 weeks is kind of outdated because that was the criteria before most cars had power steering. I still found it uncomfortable at 4 weeks and I was just driving a few miles. As Freddie said shoulder checking and the seatbelt were issues...I would not have wanted to drive more than the few miles I did.

Carol- I was cleared at four weeks, and I have driven about 5 times. At four weeks I still get a little clicking in my chest. I drove my car (standard transmission) once, and it was a bit too much discomfort for me, so I have been driving my girlfriends car. I hope your car is automatic.

if you hold your arms straight out in front of you and are comfortable you are better than most .....remember your objective is to keep your sternum still and QUIET as possible by not driving too soon even at six weeks I worried about the seatbelt locking up or the airbag deploying and shattering the vulnerable sternum

You will be in a world of trouble if you drive early and get in an accident, trouble both medically and insurance-wise. Be very careful! Even when I was legal to drive, I found I was very inattentive to the road, very easily distracted. After all, this surgery is far, far more significant than driving.

The instructions from my institution is also 6 weeks minimum. I get a little concerned when I keep reading about some going back to work after only 4-6 weeks post-op. Is your health not the priority here? Especially those who have had sternum incisions. Why would anyone chance an accident at the wheel or at work? I drove a bit at week 7 and let me tell you that I had a hard time turning my head to view the blind sight area, I could feel the pulling in my chest and that told me why I needed at least 12 weeks away from any work.

The usual recommendation for Driving and Returning to Work is 6 weeks.

Part of the reason is that it takes 6 weeks for the sternum to heal to 80% of it's recovery strength.

Some Surgeons / Cardiologists will relent to 4 weeks for Limited Daytime Driving (usually to come in for follow-up Doctor appointments). Making sharp turns and turning you head to check behind you when backing up will definititely put a 'strain' on your chest. You DO NOT want to 'rip apart' the healing sternum bone!

'AL Capshaw'

Carol,
I would think it is a matter unique to each patient and how their surgeon feels that they are progressing in their recovery. My own surgeon approved driving at 30 days, but I actually waited until the beginning of the 5th week after surgery. I wanted to be sure I could move freely and that I could remain focused on driving for the duration of my ride. I have had no problems with this approach, and was totally comfortable with turning/twisting to back up and get down the driveway at the start.

I did return to work for a few hours before I was able to drive, but it was over the weekend and my wife was able to drive. It helps to have the keys to the building. . .

I was told I could drive once I stopped taking the pain meds. I started driving after 14 days.

I was told 6 weeks before driving. My regular car is an automatic with power steering and driving it was not a problem after 6 weeks. However I also have an old pickup, manual transmission without power steering. I could not comfortably drive the truck before about 4 months....

Can't remember what I was told but I was back working in 5 weeks and I know I was driving then ... I think I drove at 4 weeks ... but then again I am as a rule non-compliant :tongue2:

At five weeks, I'm driving locally when necessary, and never more than once a day. Doc says fine, but I'm avoiding things like rush hour and parkways (if you've never driven in the NYC metro area, count your blessings!).

Driving hurts, I feel every bump. Being a solo parent makes it rough but it is doable. However, I start cardio rehab on Friday and will be d*mned if I'm going to miss it!

Laura

Lots of folks do things they shouldn't. The decision is ultimately yours, but..... is it worth the rest of your life with problems that could be avoided with 4 weeks of patience???? FYI one of my inspirations to follow my doctor's orders was a friend who had open heart surgery 4 months prior to mine. Against DR's orders he began lifting things at work. His boss did not require this and had assigned him to a cash register and inventory so that he wouldn't be unemployed. Anyway he messed up his sternum and associated muscles, because he was a bonehead. He could not lift his arms over his head after that. So even combing his hair was something he needed help with.

Anyway your choice to drive or not to drive, but you know the risks.

I was told not only should I not drive for 6 weeks (I cheated and drove at 5) but also to sit in the back seat of the car for 6 weeks because IF there was an accident, the air bag can do horrendous damage to a sternum (or ribs, in my case) that had just been cut open. If you've ever seen a anyone who's been hit by an air bag, you'd have no doubt that it can cause great harm.

I had to wait....... Surgery, January 6, 2003 ... was "OK'd" to drive, Monday, February 10, 2003.

I drove at 12:01a, Feb 10, 2003. ;)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_07.30.11_Cold.Treat *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I should've drove all night" __ Bon Jovi __ 'Misunderstood'

Latest posts

Back