Awake and recovering

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some palpitations/rhythm weirdness because of 1st degree AV block today and yesterday but they said its very common after surgery like this. Not a big problem.

I was once told “Your heart is gonna be like a 14 year old in puberty. All over the place for a while.” I’m 6 months post and it’s definitely more stable but some days feels different than others.

Woo Hoooo!! Outstanding!

The two biggest things they told me was:
1. Do your breathing exercises.
2. If you feel like you can get up and walk, get up and walk. (If you don't feel like you can get up and walk, get up and walk)

I remember those milestones well, downgrade from ICU, chest tube out, that's huge. They're in the rearview mirror now, just as they soon will be for you.

I'm about 5 1/2 months post op, and life is basically back to normal now. Just as it soon will be for you.

Hey all, another update:

I got discharged on Tuesday but had some tachycardia issues at home (heart rate stuck at 160+) so had to go back to the ER. They said it wasnt actually afib or atrial flutter but just a generic "atrial tachycardia". Either way, nothing consistently worked to stop it so I accepted the amiodarone.

I just finished the 24 hr drip of the stuff. It definitely worked to control the rhythm, my heart sometimes goes into it again, but the amio seems to slow it down and get it back to normal after a few minutes.

My INR has been pretty stable around 2-2.5. No other issues or complications to speak of! I had a transthoracic echo and everything looked great.

The docs said its very likely just swelling/inflammation after the surgery are causing the weird rhythms, so I'll stay on the amio for a month or two until it stops and then just stay on a beta blocker! All-in-all, could be a lot worse, just a few more days to spend in the hospital :)

Thanks for reading!

By the way... Was removal of the tubes any painful? I hear different stories on that.

No, the tubes themselves just feel really really weird, but they dont hurt coming out. What did hurt were the sutures that were set up to tighten and seal the wound as the tubes came out, but I wouldn't say that pain was worse than a 3 for me.

I was once told “Your heart is gonna be like a 14 year old in puberty. All over the place for a while.” I’m 6 months post and it’s definitely more stable but some days feels different than others.
Definitely feeling this at the moment! Yeah it seems like a pretty typical complication post surgery. One of the docs even said he sees high heart rates and tachycardias more in young people who get the surgery.

By the way... Was removal of the tubes any painful? I hear different stories on that.
Not really "painful" so much as unpleasant... mostly 'cuz it just feels really strange and wrong.

I felt it rubbing against muscles up in my traps, like "WTF, how long are those things?!"

I had an amazing nurse practitioner who had a way of always putting both me and my wife at ease, from my initial pre-op appointment all the way through to that final step of removing the tubes and sending me home.

When he was taking them out he looked me straight in the eye and said "Just focus on me, there's nothing happening you need to see so just look at me and breathe."

Congratulations on the successful surgery!! I’m two months post op now. Just take everything one day at a time. Some days you’ll wish things were progressing faster, but you’ll be back to normal before you know it!

Still moving more and everything, hopefully going to take my first shower today.

I remember my first shower after my surgery. Actually it went something like this - the nurse hosed me down rather than my being able to take a shower on my own..

Going to get my partner to pick up some food from outside cause the food in here is kinda bad lol

That's awesome! Wish someone did that for me when I was in there. Coulda used a Philly cheesesteak & fries.

Best of luck, sounds like yer doing great.

Mine were pretty painful coming out & I was doped up at the same time in advance. I had three tubes. Can't recall exactly but think two were pulled out at once and the third on its own.

If I remember the story right the cardiologist assistant guy told me either the day b4 or earlier in the morning to make sure I took my pain meds b4 he came back to do that, and I did ask if it was gonna hurt and I think he said something like "no but take some meds just in case".

I was expected a slow gentle pull taking those out but he yanked those suckers out of there like he was cracking a bullwhip. It hurt but was over very fast. I did say to him afterwards "I thought you said it wasn't gonna hurt?" and he replied "I lied". LOL...

I was expected a slow gentle pull taking those out but he yanked those suckers out of there like he was cracking a bullwhip. It hurt but was over very fast. I did say to him afterwards "I thought you said it wasn't gonna hurt?" and he replied "I lied". LOL...
musta trained under Nurse Ratched
1716756863893.png

That sounds really nasty. My tubes were all removed by a slow steady pull.

Interesting. I assumed they do them all like mine, get it out of there as fast as possible. I recall he kind of wrapped them around his hand then snapped them out like a whip (?). Maybe mine were in there real tight or something like that. And I think he did two at once and the last one by itself but I could be wrong.

Hey all,

Just another small update, I got discharged for the second time on the 17th. Since then I've been in sinus rhythm the whole time. About 2 more weeks of the amio left, pretty low dose.

The days since discharge have gone well. I've been sleeping well despite some discomfort from not being able to change positions while sleeping. Been eating as much as I can and lots of protein. Walking about 4000 steps a day at this point, with 100 feet of elevation. Overall I feel pretty good! I'm going back to work this Friday (I work a remote desk/computer job so no limitations there).

Saw my cardiologist last Thursday and she said everything is looking good and that we'd check up again in August.

The hardest part has been dealing with all the different clinics and doctors in terms of anticoagulation management. For some reason OHSU made me go through my primary care doctor to check my INR and refer me to an anticoagulation clinic. So I have an appointment with the clinic on the 31st, but in the meantime my primary care office has been checking my INR with blood draws. Last week it was 2.1, so I upped my dose a bit. My cardiologist said the anticoagulation clinic will want to see me for 2-3 months in person and then would be open to self-testing and management. Fine by me, but I did order a meter and testing supplies just for my own peace of mind.

Also, in terms of the clicking sound of the valve: I can definitely hear it if I'm just wearing a t-shirt and sitting down, even if there's fans or ambient noise. My partner can also easily hear it if they listen from the front or the back. Any kind of layered clothing or jacket makes it very hard to hear. It may get quieter over time, but I haven't found that it bothers me or keeps me from sleeping. It's actually pretty reassuring. I think going into the surgery with the mindset that the noise wouldn't be a big deal and that I can adapt to it was a big help. The surgeon did also say I have a "delicate frame" so that may have something to do with how audible it is 😂

Amazing you are going back to work so fast D (like a week after the surgery?). I understand you say it is not a physically tough job, just working from home remotely but still....Your body has been through a big trauma and it may want to just lie (or rather sit since lying down can be really painful) around vegetating, watching TV, reading a book, listening to music, doing something you find relaxing, so it can heal.

Unless you really love your job and find it super fun or something like that, and it never stresses you out, TAKE IT EZ, work can wait!! Think about it, you were just cut in half and a surgeon held you heart in his hands (or something like that). Not like you just had a cavity filled.

Sounds like you are doing great though so big two thumbs up!

Another new member to "Welcome To the Club" :)

I didn’t know some people got theirs slowly pulled. Mine were yanked out in an instant. They had me practice a breathing technique before so it didn’t hurt too bad.

My worst pain was the IV in my wrist. I think they put it in wrong because the worst pain during my recovery was getting some meds through that wrist

Overall I feel pretty good! I'm going back to work this Friday (I work a remote desk/computer job so no limitations there).
Damn, feel like thats a super quick return to work, hopefully you don't feel obligated that you have to return to work that quickly. My surgeon said around a 6-8 week return to work for me post surgery (I also work a remote desk/computer job). Let me know how returning to work goes, and please take it easy!

Damn, feel like thats a super quick return to work, hopefully you don't feel obligated that you have to return to work that quickly. My surgeon said around a 6-8 week return to work for me post surgery (I also work a remote desk/computer job). Let me know how returning to work goes, and please take it easy!

Unless you really love your job and find it super fun or something like that, and it never stresses you out, TAKE IT EZ, work can wait!! Think about it, you were just cut in half and a surgeon held you heart in his hands (or something like that). Not like you just had a cavity filled.

My surgeon said light duty after 4 weeks is okay! And my job is definitely light duty, especially since I work from home. I can do all of it sitting in my bed on a laptop haha. But I take the point, thank you. I'll definitely see how it goes and I have lots of vacation time available if I need to take more time off.

Back