How is tissue valve monitored ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howard

How often do you have to get tissue valve checked and how is this done ? Also let me know how old you were when you got your valve and how long how have had it so far.

Thanks,
Howard

I had my bovine mitral valve implanted about 2 1/2 years ago. I thank my lucky stars that to date all is well.
I see my cardio every six months and am now, after having more frequent echocardiograms, on a once a year echo schedule. That is pretty standard method of checking condition of heart valves. There are other methods and more invasive tests if there is suspicion of problem.

I imagine you must have had an echo to be at the pre surgery stage you are at so you know it is merely a sonogram of the heart. Painless and easy.

I am a bit older than you but at age 51, I would have chosen tissue. Perhaps not at age 40 .....

Please don't interpret any of my positive posts regarding tissue valves as trying to presuade you one way or another. That does a disservice. It is a decision one has to make for themselves based on their own considerations.

But please do interpret all of my posts to be trying to help and be supportive. I am hugely appreciative for the support and help I have gotten here. I have learned so much and the good people here absolutely helped me get through my pre surgery and post.

My son Justin has a tissue valve he is 22, but he needed his pulmonary valve replaced and most surgeons won't put a mechanical valve on the right side of the heart, because the pressures are lower so even IF you took coumadin the chances of a clot would still be too high.
AS Jkm said they keep an eye on your valve by doing (usually) a yearly echo. Justin goes to a cardiologist every 6 months , because his heart is pretty complex and he has 2 cardiologist so sees each one yearly but we have it that he goes some where every 6 months right now. Some times if things are stable they will move the echo to every 2 years for a while.

Justin has had his bovine valve 5 years now and it looks great.

I was 66 when I got my tissue, bovine aortic valve. I have only had it 7 weeks. Older folks receive tissue valves normally since it is not good to be on coumadin when you are older. They are also supposed to last longer in older people - I hope! Pat

They also say the older you are the longer the tissue valve will last. I'm not sure at 51 what the lifespan of a tissue valve is. If you go to the cleveland clinic website there is a ton of information. But I have a friend with three tissue valves that he had recieved at 18 years old, he is just now having problems at 35 years old. Also on the cleveland clinic website you can chat with nurses, sign up for a chat they are having next week about precutaneous replacement with some of their surgeons.

I got my tissue valve at 45. I have had it for 2.5 years. In theory, I will be monitored yearly, and that will include a chest x-ray, ekg, an echo, blood work, a stress treadmill test (unless I can talk myself out of it which I have been pretty successful at doing), and an overnight pulse ox test (I must add here that alot of this might not be the norm for most valve replacement patients. I have a moderately complex congenital heart condition that encompasses other things so that may be the reasons for some of these tests). I say this is in theory because I can have a tendency to have a lot of rhythm issues which require more frequent visits. Also, this testing is what I experience when I travel to the Mayo clinc, not what my local Dr.'s do. They typcially "only" do a chest x-ray, ekg, and an echo. This is why I don't mind traveling to the Mayo because I feel that I get a more complete picture.

As for what they are looking for, I have been told that the gradient on my tissue valve will change and once it reaches a certain level, it will be time to change it and that they will know way before I do that it is time for it to be changed. However, having said that, my instead of my gradient being a problem, my valve is actually leaking more than they would like at this point, but there is nothing they will do for it.

Last edited:
I was 66 when I got my tissue, bovine aortic valve. I have only had it 7 weeks. Older folks receive tissue valves normally since it is not good to be on coumadin when you are older. They are also supposed to last longer in older people - I hope! Pat

Pat, where did you get this idea? I will be 80 in a couple of weeks and have been on warfarin (coumadin) for 8 years since I developed afib when I had a cancerous kidney taken out and have never had a problem with it. :)

How often do you have to get tissue valve checked and how is this done ? Also let me know how old you were when you got your valve and how long how have had it so far.

Thanks,
Howard
Hi Howard - I was 42 and have had a tissue valve replacement for my shot bicuspid aortic valve for seven years now. I go in for annual echos. The opening has gotten smaller but seems to be holding its own. The cardio just told me that the valve is working "very well."

I had echos every 4-6 months from 2005 when my leakage was diagnosed to the end of 2009 when I was told I needed to proceed with surgery. As you probably no, the degradation is not rapid and can be tracked over time in this way, your cardio and surgeon will tell you it's time for surgery when a clear trend is established and you are headed for the outer limits of the normal range without hitting them.

I had my AVR done in April with a tissue valve - one of the key questions that I had when making the decision was how quickly do tissue valves "go" once their ultimate degradation sets in - i.e., regardless of whether it lasts 10, 15 or 20 years, when it starts to degrade, can in be picked up, monitored and tracked over the same sort of period of time as my original valve or do they "go" quickly? My doctors have told me that the replacement tissue valves degrade much like the original valve, over time, therefore with regular echos going forward they will be able to catch it and track it again.

I got my tissue valve at age 63 and have had it now for 5 1/2 years.

As for checking, an annual echocardiogram and follow-up with the cardiologist seems to be pretty typical. Some say every 2 years, and if there is reason to monitor more closely, some say every 6 months.

Best wishes to you....

I have had my tissue valve for 2yrs and 8mos. So far so good. After the first year I was told once a year. Unless something else comes up. I consult with my cardo again in 5mos, which will be one year since my last echo. He does not have me scheduled for an acho, just another consultation. Guess I need to call and get some clarification on it.

I had the Ross procedure 10 years ago last August and am doing very well.
My "foreign" tissue valve is in the pulmonic position as they moved my natural pulmonic valve to the aortic position to replace a worn out natural aortic valve.

I have yearly check-ups at Cleveland Clinic where I had the procedure.

Bovine valve at age 56 (6 months shy of 57) See cardio once a year. So far so everything is great. Haven't looked back since I made my decision. No regrets what so ever... Just research and go with your gut. If it feels right, then leap in with both feet and your heart. It will be fine.

Before my aortic valve replacements, i would have an echo every 9 months, and an MRI scan every 2 years,
Luv Sarah xx

Latest posts

Back