36-hours Post-Op As I Write This

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG, thanks for reminding us about Dan.....he was alot of fun, and cute too. ;)
Anyway, glad to hear about your stellar recovery. Some people just don't get whacked out by the anaesthesia.
Take it slow and rest.

This is amazing...a long post so shortly after surgery! I don't think I was even coherent at that point. All the best and may your recovery be boring and uneventful.

Answer about type of valve I got and pic of me 36 hrs after surgery

Answer about type of valve I got and pic of me 36 hrs after surgery

I got the St. Judes mechanical valve. I can't remember the exact model (he told me, I just forgot). Here's a pic of me 36 hrs after surgery. I'm the one holding the heart pillow. My buddy Mike is behind me. Meant to help inspire those about to go through it (like Dan's pics did me) that it's not as bad as you're probably thinking.

Attachments

• IMG00148-20100506-1&.jpg
    IMG00148-20100506-1&.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 90
I got tingles when you mentioned Dan AR; I was just thinking about him and those crazy slippers he had and Ross wants (Ross, I'm still keeping my eye out for them).

and WOW, 36 hours after surgery......amazing - now don't over do things. Eat, rest, walk, rest & drink and repeat is all that is required from you.

Take Care and be GOOD to yourself.

St. Jude has 2 models of Aortic Valves. The Master's Series with a 30 year track record and their newer model, the St. Jude Regent (for the aortic position only).

'AL Capshaw'

I may have gotten a heart pillow...

I may have gotten a heart pillow...

... but Ross got cookies and I didn't. So we're even! And now that someone reminded me of the name, it is the Regent valve that I got. The surgeon said it has the same chance (some day) as the On-x of not needing to be on Coumadin forever. Probably 3-5 years out at least before the research pans out though. Feeling some gurgling in my upper chest when I breath. Was afraid my lungs were filling up, but they say not the case - just normal gurgling. Am having some pain around the left side of my heart when I overdo it, often accompanied by a missed beat (really noticable when the clicking stops for a beat). But they're downplaying that too. Apparently it's all normal. Otherwise, still doing pretty good. They even talked about releasing me today (Sat. 5/8) but I asked if I could stay one more day. Figured I might as well run my bill up as much as I can, plus it'll work better for those that will keep an eye on me at home. So probably getting out tomorrow.

Good job. Give yourself time to heal. You'll have rough days but for the most part it's great that we have the opportunity to actually have these things "fixed".

Wow - I only hope and pray those of us in the 'waiting room' can come through it with your speed and sense of humor! I echo everyone else who says 'thank you' for trying to allay our fears... (Of course now we'll all feel like wimps if we don't bounce right back!)

I'm still going with tissue, in the hopes they'll come up with something wonderful in the next few years!
Thanks again from all of us.

Latest posts

Back