36-hours Post-Op As I Write This

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARGreenMN

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Now that I've earned my stripes, I'll be glad to share any and all of my experiences. I posted another thread a few weeks ago and had a lot of replies, but as a reminder... I'm now a 49 year-old semi-newbie to the forum who was born with a Bicuspid Aortic Valve. Had mild Aortic Root Dilation, but the aorta didn't have to be replaced, just the valve. Had it replaced starting at 8 am (ending at 11 am) yesterday morning (5/5/10 - Cinco de Mayo day).

The first thing I'd want everyone to know, especially those that are in the pre-surgery stage, is that you can go ahead and chalk up another one in the "it really wasn't as bad as I feared" column. Obviously still have the recovery period to get through, but so far I am very, very pleasantly surprised.

I'll recap everything briefly, but it's going to sound like a broken record, very similar to the majority opinions on here. In my case (probably due in large part to keeping busy right up until surgery day) I really wasn't all that nervous. Just wanted to get it overwith. I went mechanical (even though was leaning pig early on) and so far, I'm happy with the decision. As smooth as the surgery was, it was still a major event that I'd prefer not to go through again if I can avoid it. The clicking is noticable, but hoping it gets better over time. Started on Coumadin tonight - too early to tell how I'll do on it, but as Ross and others have said, I'm very confident it's a lot better than a second OHS.

Now that I've made it sound like the OHS is something to avoid, let me repeat. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I feared. Worst part for me was the breathing tube (which was out within a couple hours of the surgery being over). I went into the surgery with a phlem problem and that contributed to how uncomfortable the breathing tube was. Felt great to finally get it out. On the positive side, I cannot believe how little pain my incision is causing. Went off morphine sometime very early this morning (about the same time I came out of ICU). Have just been on tablet pain killers since (with hours of no pain killers). Only on them to "stay ahead" of the pain. But even when I was off of them, it just doesn't hurt much (again, unless I breath deep, cough, etc.). Somewhere between good and bad, starting with the "bad" parts for me were the bladder catheter (was a little uncomfortable while was in, and a little painful - but not unbearable - coming out, and painful to pee the couple times I've peed since it was out), the chest tube (got a little sore before they took it out - but wasn't bad at all coming out) and the hourly blood sugar tests / insulin. The surgery elevated my blood sugar (which sounds very common) so have been on insulin since last night. Still not able to breath very deep, but getting better with the contraption they make you breath into. Still short of breath when I just get up and walk around (which is to be expected) but am told that will get better soon too. Still a little tired (maybe because they were waking me up every hour all night) so looking forward to a good night's sleep here on night 2 - don't think they're going to be checking blood sugar all night - must have gotten it figured out.

That's about it for now - as I said, I'm tired and am going to bed. But just wanted to say hi quick. I've been "online" since early this morning (about the 20 hr mark). Bottom line - not bad at all considering what all they did, and the good will definitely outweigh the bad! So, git er dun!!! Nothing to be afraid of! More later. Nite nite.

Attachments

• At Work Aug 08..jpg
    At Work Aug 08..jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 103
Wow, you must be doing very well! Glad everything is going so well. Continued best wishes :)

And, yeah, I'm a big fan of the vent (breathing tube) also :rolleyes: :(

Man, you had a fast surgeon! I was in the OR all day. it took them 3 hours just to get my body cooled down. But I was lucky that I don't remember the breathing tube at all and required no pain meds.

If you can type all that 36 hours after surgery, you're doing a lot better than I did in that regard. I was way too pooped out to work a computer for about 5 days.

Congrats!

Bill

Congratulations.

I am very happy for you and impressed!! Use the spirometer as often as you can...it will help your lungs to clear up and regain their health! My blood sugar went high too due to the surgery and I was fine again after a few days.

wish your recovery continues to be smooth and God-speedy.

well done, you sound to be doin great,and yes i agree wasnt as bad as you think it is,which is great for all those in the waiting room, remember take it easy though,

Congratulations! Thanks for posting such a detailed account of your surgery. It is important for people (like me) who are in the waiting room to read such a positive acocunt. It's also nice to see you posting so soon. This gives me hope since I'm one of those types that gets computer and internet withdrawal after only a few minutes off line:DBest wishes for a smooth recovery.

Jim

ARGreenMN,

Good on you and thank you so much for relaying your positive experience so soon after the surgery, less than 48 hours...am very impressed and comforted by the possibility of what awaits me.

Am 10 days pre-surgery for bicuspid aortic valve replacement and Mitral valve repair/replace and in countdown., Your comments and experience are very encouraging to me that the ICU period for pain and process is manageable.

At 56 years of age, interestingly and in parallel to you, my process of valve decision has gone from mechanical initially, then fear of coumadin and therefore Porcine choice and is now back in preference of mechanical in getting OHS done once (i hope).

Ross has also for me been instrumental in education that Coumadin and INR management is a process that can be controlled and is way better than the probability of OHS in a 10-20 year timeframe or less.

I feel very blessed to have discovered this forum and caring individuals that have taken the time to allay many of my fears of the unknown and provided me with guidance and the "best education" of personal experience.

Speedy recovery ARGreenMN and thank you for sharing the first 36 hours of experience post op

Gil

I didn't get my cookies yet either...

I didn't get my cookies yet either...

... maybe they're stuck in my inbox. I was a little tired this morning so slept a lot (think the pain meds wore off too much). Feeling good again this afternoon though - just went for long walk including stairs and a bike.

For all you pre-surgery folks, I remember (very vividly) being on the other side (just a few days ago) and remember how much it helped to hear from others that were doing well after surgery. Here's one of my main inspirations - a guy named Dan from England who taped video of himself a different stages (before shortly after and a few weeks after surgery). Watch this and his associated videos. I think it will make you feel better. I know it did me, and my daughter!

[ link ]

... maybe they're stuck in my inbox. I was a little tired this morning so slept a lot (think the pain meds wore off too much). Feeling good again this afternoon though - just went for long walk including stairs and a bike.

For all you pre-surgery folks, I remember (very vividly) being on the other side (just a few days ago) and remember how much it helped to hear from others that were doing well after surgery. Here's one of my main inspirations - a guy named Dan from England who taped video of himself a different stages (before shortly after and a few weeks after surgery). Watch this and his associated videos. I think it will make you feel better. I know it did me, and my daughter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cne4NzovCDI

HAHAHAA! Dan. He's a member here or was. He had some monster feet slipper I wanted and still can't find what he had.

Attachments

• Must have slippers.jpg
    Must have slippers.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 94
... For all you pre-surgery folks, I remember (very vividly) being on the other side (just a few days ago) and remember how much it helped to hear from others that were doing well after surgery. Here's one of my main inspirations - a guy named Dan from England who taped video of himself a different stages (before shortly after and a few weeks after surgery). Watch this and his associated videos. I think it will make you feel better. I know it did me, and my daughter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cne4NzovCDI

thanks for the link AR, I would likely not have found that on my own and after having viewed the intial video, will follow Dan's journey in the next few days, as on my todo list

amazing at how lucky we are today, in comparison to a short 10 years ago, with all of available web information to filter and view, including this valuable forum...simply amazing

this is the best of times to be embarking on the journey of OHS, when the journey is forced upon us and there has truly been no better time

Ar i am amazed you are doing this forum contribution, 48 hours post op, hats off to you AR for relaying your current journey...true grit

Gil

I am just blown away by the speedy recovery ARGreenMN is reporting, is that a record? Anyway, congrats, and that is great you have taken time to share that inspiring story. I am just approaching the 4 month point past surgery and am thankful every day for the way it has rejuvenated me. Sure, there are or can be bumps in the road, but heart surgery is definitely a journey worth taking, if needed.

Latest posts

Back