what to take to the hospital - a checklist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What to take to the hospital?

What to take to the hospital?

Well, I took 4 pints of my blood. The surgeon said that wasn't necessary. He was wrong... I didn't take near enough! This was back when some blood banks had been contaminated with AIDS and I wasn't planning on using someone else's blood. :rolleyes:

My wife took a small suitcase of clothes but it wasn't enough to last her 20 days.

Agree wholeheartedly with "huggie pillow" to hold against your chest as you get up and back into bed...and "a family member" to watch out for you. These were invaluable to me. All the toiletries I took from home..never even used them, they gave me all new when i got there and i just used those. Brought my own slippers and my own robe.

Once I was out of the ICU, I used my own pillow with a dark colored pillow case. It made it a little more comfortable. And also a pen and paper to write down who sent flowers, etc and to make lists of things that I wanted me husband to bring. I also tried to keep track of what medication I was given and when--didn't want any mistakes made.

Chap stick, your own soap you like, eye drops a mirror and twizzers. Ask for a surgery bra it was great! I wore it for a few months it helps alot! Good Luck Prayers with you!

Cut your toe nails before you leave for the hospital. It could be a while before you can reach down to your toes after surgery.
Just a thought ;)

I usually wear my hair pretty short. About a week before I go to CC (6/27/09) I will go and have my hair cut just about to the point where my husband would sing the Marine Hymn! :D

I figure that I won't be able to get to the hairdressers' for a number of weeks after surgery.

If you have a laptop and someone to babysit it during your surgery it is great for an internet connection, CD p[layer, and a DVD player.mine has become much more important things like lipstick! ;)I would recommend Carmex or chapstick of some type. A low grade post-op temp gave me very chapped lips after my surgery.

Lettitia

write down your passwords

write down your passwords

You may or may not survive your operation, and if you do there is always risk of stroke, in which case you will be happy you wrote down all your passwords. I hope you won't thank me for this tip.

I did not have time to prep for my surgery as I tore out my valve and surgery happened quickly. The hospital had everything I needed. The legal documents are the most important. Luckily I already had them all. A great support system will do more for you than any junk you can take with you.

You may or may not survive your operation, and if you do there is always risk of stroke, in which case you will be happy you wrote down all your passwords. I hope you won't thank me for this tip.

I have an Excel file with all my logins/usernames and passwords.

All 81 of them.

I have it saved in several places. The sites that are sensitive are construed so that if someone found my list, they wouldn't know what the website was.

I have an Excel file with all my logins/usernames and passwords.

All 81 of them.

I have it saved in several places. The sites that are sensitive are construed so that if someone found my list, they wouldn't know what the website was.
I have a piece of blue construction paper with a typed riddle on it. People who know how I think will understand it.

By typing the riddle in the website that is written on the sticky note on that paper, people would know where to go to decode it. It will ask for a username/password, of course the sticky note says it.

The security code is a question I made up, a place I dream of going. Then they'd have to type in my answer exactly how it is on my construction paper.

Everything I have unlocks once that completes. A listing of all my passwords will be decrypted and shown for five minutes before the page is locked again. ^^.

It was very tough to set up but well worth it. XD.

I remember when I had my quint bypass and started making laps around the nurses station. Memorial Mission Heart Tower in Asheville, NC is a conservative area being in the south. So great pains were taken to make sure we keep ourselves modest. I'm 6'1" and 300 pounds. They make those gowns in two sizes, smurf and smaller than smurf. They tied one over my shoulders when ever I walked to keep the lady patients from getting "the vapors." I told my wife I needed her to make something for me. So now after my AV surgery next week and I'm helped to the feet to make laps, I have a full sized SuperMan Cape in red, complete with the big "S" on the triangle. That'll make me feel normal, my normal anyhoo and give the other hamsters in the wheel a chuckle I hope. I plan on donating it to the floor when I leave so other folks who need covering can have some fun too. Rick

I remember when I had my quint bypass and started making laps around the nurses station. Memorial Mission Heart Tower in Asheville, NC is a conservative area being in the south. So great pains were taken to make sure we keep ourselves modest. I'm 6'1" and 300 pounds. They make those gowns in two sizes, smurf and smaller than smurf. They tied one over my shoulders when ever I walked to keep the lady patients from getting "the vapors." I told my wife I needed her to make something for me. So now after my AV surgery next week and I'm helped to the feet to make laps, I have a full sized SuperMan Cape in red, complete with the big "S" on the triangle. That'll make me feel normal, my normal anyhoo and give the other hamsters in the wheel a chuckle I hope. I plan on donating it to the floor when I leave so other folks who need covering can have some fun too. Rick

I hope you take pictures. Justin always just wears gym shorts or sweats and a button top, pretty much from the time he is sitting in the chair and walking

Like many others, I took too much. I, too, just didn't have the concentration to read but I used my MP3 player all the time < DON'T FORGET THE CHARGERS & A POWER STRIP > . I never did turn on the TV. It was nice to have my cellphone with me but I wasn't quite focused enough to talk for long; it takes several days to get past all the drugs you receive during and just after surgery. If you like tea, it is nice to have your own brand. Almost as much as the MP3 player, I enjoyed getting into my own soft clothes as soon as I could take a shower; "V" Neck T-Shirts were, indeed, easier to deal with.

Larry

Last edited:
Something I would never have thought of before surgery, but appreciated having:
old fashioned hand held accordian style manual fan.
The sweats post-op and with fever after re-admission were unbearable. So, when my sister brought me in one of those 'accordian type fans to fan myself, it was a blessing in disguise....nice and lightweight, too.

1.throat lozenges

2. Pj pants

3. Food

4. Ear plugs and eye mask

5. Dry shampoo, deodorant, unscented bar soap, face wipes

6. Favorite pillow

For anyone with long hair... I wore my hair in braids because I didn't know how long it would be before I showered and also wanted to keep hair away from any tubes, IV's, etc. A ponytail would do as well, but sometimes I'm sensitive to the tight feeling of a rubberband after a prolonged period.

Latest posts

Back