what to take to the hospital - a checklist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mirror and tweezers! LOL! but I had to look and primp! Eye drops, bathrobe to cover the sexy hospital gowns, bottle of lotion and for sure lip balm. Make sure you have a hair brush. Good luck my prayers are with you.

I packed a big bag and never even opened it. I used their toothbrush and comb when I felt like I could.

I would be a member of the minimalist school of thought and would second the opinion that if you bring a bag [of any size] you probably won't use the stuff

I brought very little to the hospital, in fact left a lot of things behind on purpose ... for example my wedding ring and another ring I wear, and my watch. I only brought my driver's license and health insurance card instead of my wallet, needed that at the admissions office and then gave them to my wife, I'm sure she was glad not to have to jam my stuff into her purse.

I did bring a set of pajama bottom to wear when they had me up and walking and a tootbrush.

Books, magazines, ipods, all of that I don't think I would have used even if I had brought them.

This thread of posts was useful

This thread of posts was useful

Well i'm still packed from tests couple weeks ago
did use most what i packed and now repacked
actually Dale (DH) brought my earplugs from work
today as never took them for tests but now in the
small pink Adidas bag he will carry for me into hosp.:p
All i need is my date and i'm sooooooooo ready and
all i know so far is closer to end of oct. for my mvs
this post was very generous to as what i needed when
i was packing earlier for tests.and now as a phone call
away and i'm packed and gone when call comes or date
whichever happens first.READY,SET,GO

zipper2 (DEB)

I had my surgery at a Children's Hospital even though I am an adult (children's hospital central california in Madera). They provided everything just about. To make my stay more pleasant I also borrowed a laptop from a family member, had my cellphone...and clothes. Bring your own clothes for sure. Everything is too big or too small, espically if you are of abnormal size like I am. (I'm under average and bigger then too small so in the middle).

Private hospitals are cool. ^^. Oh if family is staying they have to provide nearly everything for themselves. If you lived a certain distance housing was provided and food. My mom lived about 35 mins from the hospital so it wasn't that bad.

Also don't forget your insurance information.

i'm planning on packing very minimal. just a small backpack and will try to keep it
under 15 pounds. tiny bag of toiletries, meds (for after?), shirts and socks and
undies, sunglasses, speedos, condoms (wishful thinking).

anything special about clothes? wondering how painful is it to take off/put on
t-shirts, or better just take button-up shirts. (button-up? what are they called,
not dress shirts)

any difficulties with shoes or boots? naturally no cowboy boots, thinking of
lace-up jungle boots.

I wore my hubby's big, plain T-shirts and I cut them when I needed access to clean my incision for several weeks with a minor infection. I just cut from the side of the neck down on an angle and put in a safety pin.
Baggy or stretchy jogging type of pants.
I also needed loose shoes, I could not shove my foot into anything for a while.
You know.....those condoms may be good for breathing exercises......make some nice balloons for the staff!

i was afraid of that....but still have time to mail-order from the states. there just
ain't no suitable clothes here. can usually get by with size M in the states, but
local stuff i buy in XXXL is still tight. plenty of tailor shops, maybe can have some
XXXXXXXL t-shirts and loose pants from t-shirt material made. forget shoes, max
size is 10, they just don't have size 12/13 tugboats. everything is small, had to
have custom furniture made, anything in the stores is sized for oompah-loompahs.
have to stand under the vents on the busses to avoid banging my head on the
roof. and the condoms? only fit for toy balloons.

Someone earlier said to bring your medications. (Both prescription and over the counter.) DON'T. For legal & malpractice purposes, the hospital pharmacy MUST supply any and all medications. No dulcolax, no tylenol, nothing.

I'd like to amend this: DO bring, or have someone bring, any medications you need to take during your trip home from the hospital. And if they write any prescriptions for meds that have to be taken at a certain time (like pain meds) shortly before check-out, DO NOT CHECK OUT before you fill those prescriptions if you have a long trip home and you have to take them during the trip. If you haven't checked out, they have to give you your meds at the correct time. If you check out, it's "sorry charlie!"

I packed a small bag but in the end i only used the following:

--pj's (once the catheter was off i felt better in my own flannel pjs)
--slippers
--a few toiletries (toothbrush, facewash, handcreme and chapstick--lips were constantly very dry)
--scrunchie/hair tie for my long hair
--a paperback book, i tried to read a lot but concentrating was hard so i only got through a few chapters but even that felt good
--glasses and glass cleaner
--tampons/maxipads
--hairbrush
-underwear

I also packed my ipod, disposable contacts, a bunch of underwear, socks, a bunch of other toiletries like moisterizer, eye cream, etc, a bunch of books and mags and never used any of these.

I'd like to amend this: DO bring, or have someone bring, any medications you need to take during your trip home from the hospital. And if they write any prescriptions for meds that have to be taken at a certain time (like pain meds) shortly before check-out, DO NOT CHECK OUT before you fill those prescriptions if you have a long trip home ........!"

To reassure above: Do not leave the hospital before you fill the prescription at the hospital's pharmacy to make sure you have enough, especially if you leave on a weekend. I took 2 vicodins before I left hospital, and since I was so anxious to leave, I took prescription to my pharmacist -- he did not have any VICODIN,:( it was Saturday and I had to wait untill Monday:eek::eek: Another pharmacy had only 4 pills, and so my husband had to run from one pharmacy to another for 3 hours until he found enough amount for the weekend. My pharmacist gives us special discount...it was not worth it in that case. He had the generic, but I am sensitive to it ... it affects my moods in a badly manner!

It was necessary for me to have a mirror--kept checking on the incision.

Smaller bag won't zipper up

Smaller bag won't zipper up

Ive been packed since sept from my tests and then

the bag zipped shut,now it won't and really iv'e gone

through it often and yep i need all this cus i,m so far

away for surgery ,not like Dale can run home and get

it for me.....Sigh...... gotta switch bags or be without:eek:

2 boxers,2 button-up shirts,undies,slippers,socks(4pair),
4 pair pj pant bottoms all hair thingy accessories,for long hair,
incl.comb,brush,elastics my coagucheck machine,strips,little
shampoo@rince bottles,then i have all my papers from past,present
and future preop papers,that alone requires a binder but in large
envelope,all mypills and crap they say o bring my own again,as alot
aren't in their pharmacy found that out at test time in sept,so good i
brought them then,nothing like having your own handlotion,toothpaste
etc,i dont wanna forget the important small needs and yet dont wanna l look like i'm moving in there for a month:eek:although with the luck i
have always i may need more stuff:eek:
Being far away from home is a bummer in winter yet.
And really yet i don't have much stuff packed:eek:
its probally the size of my bag want it all to fit so they dont get the
idea i'm staying for long:p
Or i've just had too much time to pack:D

zipper2 (DEB)

Just yourself and a brush!

Just yourself and a brush!

I went into the hospital recently with a serious illness, staph and endocarditis. I went directly from the dr's office, so I only had my purse with me. I got into the gown and pants provided by Stanford hospital. My husband took home my purse. I got everything else from the kind nurses, including toothbrush/paste, dry shampoo and body cleaning cloths, mouthwash, vaseline and lotion,towels, soap and sock-type non-slip slippers. Even a book/magazine from the pink lady cart! So, I suggested a brush since they only have combs. ( I could care less about a bra, and when I had open heart surgery, I didn't wear one for awhile, it bugged my scar.)
Oh, when I was ready to go home, my husband brought clean, comfortable clothes for me to change into.
Gail

I hate to be on the negative side here, but I didn't see Power of Attorney or Living Will mentioned. Hope that never gets used either. All hospitals you go to should have a copy of them.

I hate to be on the negative side here, but I didn't see Power of Attorney or Living Will mentioned. Hope that never gets used either. All hospitals you go to should have a copy of them.

it must be here somewhere. can't believe we left it out b. ut guess we did.

I got all my affairs taken care of - property, bank, etc - before I went to hospital. now it's done and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

so... get your affairs in order and get a power of attorney... make all your wishes known. never know

now it's officially here.

Actually, since I do this for a living, the legal documents list should read:
Medical power of attorney
general durable power of attorney
directive to physicians (living will)
Last Will and Testament
Declaration of guardian in the event of later incapacity
Designation of guardian for minor children
Consent to emergency medical treatment for minor children
Anatomical gifts
Appointment of Agent for disposition of remains
pre-need funeral information/detailed instructions if you are so inclined