what to take to the hospital - a checklist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello

Hello

I'm waiting for the VA to replace my aortic valve which is calcified. Coronary arteries are fine and clear. I had an abnormal sinus rhythm - which they corrected with a cardioversion shock.

Now I rarely have palpitations.

I don't know when they are going to do the procedure. The cardiologist said my heart was "safe" and sent me home. He said they would do it in a few weeks - now it is almost 4 weeks and I'm wanting to get it done and get on recovery.

I have read in the CleveLand Heart Clinic how some natural valves now last 17 years or longer. By the time that wears out - they will probably have further advances in both natural valves and mechanical. I will defer to the surgeon's judgement but would rather not have to take warfarin the rest of my life. I'm 69 and have lifted weights for 50 years and run alot too on my treadmill. I asked the cardiologist if I could have a natural valve but I won't know his response for two weeks.

When I go to the hospital - I will take pajamas and since I have peripheral neuropathy - I suppose I can take my walker - so I can walk the halls without any risk of falling.

Thanks for any help you can give me. John Hansen MajorHart [email protected] :)

I'd be afraid to take my laptop.

I'd be afraid to take my laptop.

When I went to the VA in Leavenworth KS for 6 days, they made me check all medicine and a number of other things. Then when they transferred me to the Kansas City VA, the first va destroyed everything. If I'd had my laptop - it would be in somebody's home. :(

Lynlw said:
if you are taking a laptop make sure you take both wires(long) for phone hook up or wires for computer hook up

lipbalm for those dried out lips

notebook to keep track of everything and pens
thank you notes so you can fill them out when you are bored

word search or other puzzle books that don't need lots of thought

find out if rooms have dvd players or videotapes and take movies

small coughing or hug pillow
some people like earplugs for when they try to sleep

and next is...?

MajorHart said:
I'm waiting for the VA to replace my aortic valve which is calcified. Coronary arteries are fine and clear. I had an abnormal sinus rhythm - which they corrected with a cardioversion shock.

Now I rarely have palpitations.

I don't know when they are going to do the procedure. The cardiologist said my heart was "safe" and sent me home. He said they would do it in a few weeks - now it is almost 4 weeks and I'm wanting to get it done and get on recovery.

I have read in the CleveLand Heart Clinic how some natural valves now last 17 years or longer. By the time that wears out - they will probably have further advances in both natural valves and mechanical. I will defer to the surgeon's judgement but would rather not have to take warfarin the rest of my life. I'm 69 and have lifted weights for 50 years and run alot too on my treadmill. I asked the cardiologist if I could have a natural valve but I won't know his response for two weeks.

When I go to the hospital - I will take pajamas and since I have peripheral neuropathy - I suppose I can take my walker - so I can walk the halls without any risk of falling.

Thanks for any help you can give me. John Hansen MajorHart [email protected] :)

Welcome John,I wanted to suggest you start a seperate thread so everyone sees it, you will probably get alot more answers suggestions that way. Lyn

My advice for the ladies would be a box of tampons (or fem protection of choice). Aunt Bernice has a way of showing up when you least expect her!

Thank goodness the nurses also put my hair up, and I kept it up the entire time in the hosp. I also agree on the earplugs, and some munchie food (anything's better than hospital food--yuk!) Non-slip slippers and a robe for the walking you'll be doing in the hospital hallways and maybe a hairbrush and fingernail file, toothbrush and toothpaste. I too packed a pretty good size bag and didn't use most of it. But, just the planning, shopping for pj's and packing was very therapeutic and kept me busy and focused before the surgery.
I couldn't lift a book so didn't do any reading in the hosp. Small (thin) magazines were helpful after I arrived back home along with lots of DVD/movies and beautiful flowers and someone to help you and do the cooking and cleaning. The seatbelt fuzzy cover I bought from Target that keeps the seatbelt from pressing into your chest (along with the little pillow the hosp. gave me) was also very helpful for the ride home as well as for the many weeks following.:D

Be carefull

Be carefull

Someone earlier said to bring your medications. (Both prescription and over the counter.) DON'T. For legal & malpractice purposes, the hospital pharmacy MUST supply any and all medications. No dulcolax, no tylenol, nothing.

Thank you for starting this thread! I have written some things down that I would never have thought about.

I am 2 weeks pre-op and I am trying not to run away or cancel :cool:

hmmm ......... this is a little esoteric, I think the big number one on the list should be .

1:- A mentally tough, positive outcome attitude.

For the trip

For the trip

1. My lovely wife bought me a pre and post surgery hypnosis cd that we ripped to my ipod, and it is so helpful for recovery and relaxation.

2. Lots of laughter and smiles !!!!

3. SALT..... not for everyone

dry shampoo

dry shampoo

Just discovered the perfect shampoo to tuck in your bag! It's called "No-Rinse Shampoo" and comes in little 2 oz bottles available at REI for $1.25. My husband has promised he'll wash my hair with it if I can't stand it any longer....and it's supposedly pretty good, if a shower is out of the question.;)
Ruth

The best thing I did for myself before my last OHS was to get my hair permed & had it cut very short! So when I finally got to shower & wash my hair in the hospital, all I did was air dry my hair & didn't have to bother with the blower which I couldn't have used anyway because of the pain lifting my arms!

Good luck to you & I know you will do just fine! Will keep you in my prayers! :)

Stuff To Bring...

Stuff To Bring...

We had an emergency situation, but I did have a couple of hours to pack. Don't bring anything flammable or any petroleum products. This includes all except roll-on deodorants, cologne, and Chapstick. For chapped lips, they actually recommended (this sounds really weird) Lansinoh, which is used in breast-feeding moms for chapped nipples. They supplied my husband's pajamas, which were surgical scrubs, since he is not a pajama kind of guy. I did bring a number of socks with rubber ribbing on them, and he preferred his shoes to his slippers, anyway. For going home, don't forget sunglasses, and loose pants- my husband had a lot of edema still, and did not want to wear a belt, so I brought his biggest warm shirt that could button and pants that could tie. He also liked wearing a silk scarf under the shirt to prevent the shirt from rubbing his incision. I brought a complete change of clothes for the trip back, including jacket, hat, gloves, umbrella. I had small bottles of his usual shampoo for use after he could shower, and his favorite soap, hairbrush, toothpaste, and a toothbrush; the nurses had a safe blow-dryer and electric razor (they won't let you use your own) for use after he was off oxygen. Yes, he could do his own hair! I brought books and magazines, as well as his glasses, but he had some eye problems temporarily, and so he didn't do much of that. Please remember to bring a list of medications; they originally asked me not to bring his meds but ended up having to special-order one of his meds, and it was delayed a day. I did not bring any no-rinse shampoo; they had a cap with no-rinse shampoo that could be warmed that was nicer than anything that we could buy. I thought it did a good job, but my husband thought his hair "felt like dog hair". They gave us warmed towelettes in the ICU that also had a moisturizer, but if you have a tendency to get dry skin, bring a lotion that has no petroleum products. Don't forget your phone book! We weren't able to use cell phones in the hospital except in the waiting area, so if you have your phone list on your cell phone, you'd have to dial it anyway. Bring a copy of special diets, too. We got into some lengthy discussions over some dietary issues that could have been averted if we had actual orders.

Sounds like a long list, but mostly stuff that you bring when you travel anyway.

Freezing in Idaho (hope it doesn't kill the apricot blossoms),
-Laura

HeartPart2 said:
1. My lovely wife bought me a pre and post surgery hypnosis cd that we ripped to my ipod, and it is so helpful for recovery and relaxation.

2. Lots of laughter and smiles !!!!

3. SALT..... not for everyone
yES , songs or recordings of meditational music is perfect.
I actually listened to Gregorian chants and it helped to relax me
more than anything.
Also have a set of ear plugs; if you share a room or not hospitals are NOISY.
Wearing an oversized t shirt with sweats or shorts or leggings is comfortable
and it helps to think more positive if you dont have to wear those ugly gowns.
Though the shirt needs to be baggy since you will be on the heart monitor.

I packed a lot of things but I actually used very few:
- glasses
- contacts (put them in day 3 or so)

I'm actually encouraged that you felt good enough to put your contacts in! I get fewer headaches when I wear contacts than glasses, but I was assuming that by the time I felt good enough to bend over the sink and put in my contacts I would be going home!

two posts this week about painful sneezing after surgery.

DO NOT SNEEZE!after surgery if you can stop it! It can be extremely painful for many. We don't always remind you just before surgery and we are sorry. If you read this thread, it might be mentioned somewhere besides this post. Take heed and remember this one. The painful sneeze is called 'the evil sneeze, named by Janie. In a few months it won't hurt anymore. Some are not bothered at all. Blessins.......

cough pillow was provided.
I really really was thankful for the ice chips post surgery.
was not long enough in post op for ear plugs -
never used the paints or brushes or paper - enjoyed the pain meds.
wish I had a calling card. the collect calls cost me dearly
more hugs than I had to give to the nurses.
a "ka-ching" device or a bell for every time they pulled a tube out
a magic marker to label my body parts prior to surgery - leg bone, ankle bone, etc.

I don't even want to think about

I don't even want to think about

...SNEEZING. I am almost 4 weeks out and can't even enjoy a good laugh.:eek: Breathing in rapidly to yawn, cough, hick-up, etc. REALLY hurts!!! SO, No comedy and don't have anyone tell you any really good jokes!!!

Latest posts

Back