Well here I am back at Barnes Jewish Hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john79t

I started another thread a few days ago about my long term dry cough. Went to my gp and he said it was allergy and gave me meds for that and said it would be better in about 2 weeks. Saturday I was doing worse not better. I went to see my son at work (he is an Xray tech) My gp did not bother to take an Xray. I had my son take one and he said it was not normal so I went to the local ER. A Cat Scan was done and it is walking pneumonia. I don't trust the doctors or staff at the local hospital so I came to Barnes where I had my AVR. I am on antibiotics and it seems better already. My right middle lob collapsed but they hope it will re inflate on its own once the infection is gone.

Sorry your doctors didn't catch it earlier . But thankful your son did an Xray so caught it now and you were started on antibiotics. Hopefully you'll feel much better soon.

Last edited:
Here is the difference in a large well run hosp. and a small local one. I my home town their plan was to put in a chest tube to re inflate my lobe , a broncioscope to see what was wrong and antibios for the suspected pneumonia. After getting to Barnes their guy read the CT scan and the lobe is not collapsed just has pneumonia. They are treating me with antibos. No chest tube no invasive scope.

Good luck John79t.I just finished with pneumonia of the left lung in the 5th week of pre op.Was on antibiotics (levaquin) for 10 days and through my INR levels out.Jumped from 2.5 to 3.9 and then back to 3.0 when I cut my dose down for a few days.The coughing is a killer on the ribs and sternum.

Hey big. It is bad enough almost 2 years out. At 5 weeks out I was praying I would not have to sneeze. ( I have a sneeze that could wake the dead and hurts when I am healthy.) The pain of coughing this much at 5 weeks out must have been something else.
I am getting better and hope to be out of here in a couple of more days. There is a cruise ship we still plan to catch Feb 7.

Hey super Bob. godd to hear from you. So far i have still had small problems compared to so many here on the board. We have plans to travel more and spoil our grand kids even more than now so we will just have to stay healthy.

Best wishes for a quickly completed recovery so that you can go about the business of spoiling your grandkids. That is a big business indeed and a very prestigious job to be assigned, the job grandparent that is. Get well!

Back when my Dad was in and out of Boston-area (and Cape Cod) hospitals (critical-care and "rehab"), we were shocked at the difference between the best and the worst. But it wasn't always the big-city fancy establishments -- or even the ones with the famous names -- that scored high. One of the fanciest and most expensive rehab hospitals (also DBA a retirement home) was one of the worst places I've ever seen up close! Great dining room -- just don't leave it to go elsewhere, and DEFINITELY don't check in as a patient!!

Thanks to all. The docs came in earlier and they are going to do another ct scan on me in a little while to get a better reading and check progress. I am still coughing but feel tons better. I think they are scratching their head because my symptoms did not fit any typical pneumonia . Of course when you have arthritis every where and they ask you if you had joint or muscle pain with this what do you say. Hell I always have pain you just live with it. Almost never a fever, no coughing up stuff, Just lack of energy and not feeling well. Are you short of breath when you exercise? I have a new AVR if I can breath I am great. What is this exercise stuff any way? I really don't care if they figure out the cause just as long as I get well.

Every day you are not taking a dirt nap is a great day!

Well I guess it is not a simple case. After the CT I am now without food so they can try to schedule a broncoscope. There appears to be an obstruction in my lung and they are going to take a sample to determine wat it is. Does not sound good.

Sorry for the bad news. And good luck on the next steps.

Looks like maybe your local hospital's choice to use the 'scope earlier was one arguably-reasonable judgment call, rather than an embarrassment or incompetence?

Back