valve life

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 3 year test is nothing to do with the English medical system it's a mandatory requirement for me to keep my truck licence entitlement . and as i take it you have no first hand experience of the uk health system as i don't of the us system . i keep my thoughts to my self . and want to enter in to a slanging match over it .
regards jeff.

No offense intended Jeff.

I guess I'm confused.

My understanding is that the "standard of care" in the U.S. is 2 years between echos for stable valve patients and 1 year (or less) for high risk patients or patients with progressive valve disease. What is the standard for valve patients in the UK?

I had other thoughts that probably belong in "The War Room" debate about revising Health Care in this country so I will refrain from further comment on that subject.

No offense intended Jeff.

I guess I'm confused.

My understanding is that the "standard of care" in the U.S. is 2 years between echos for stable valve patients and 1 year (or less) for high risk patients or patients with progressive valve disease. What is the standard for valve patients in the UK?

I had other thoughts that probably belong in "The War Room" debate about revising Health Care in this country so I will refrain from further comment on that subject.

AL no offence taken .as niel said it saved my life and that all i could ask of the NHS system or any other come to that :Di will have a look round on the internet and see what the time scale is for echo test for heart & valve patients in the UK.each system as it's down falls .and maybe this is a subject for the war room AL :)
regards Jeff

picture.php

Hi, Out of my interest every month i go for ptinr test.Some of my friends take inr test once in a year .God knows what is the time scale for echo test for heart & valve patients in India. But i took echo test after six months of surgery and decided to take twice in a year after joining VR.COM

SRINIVAS
Aneurysmal dilation of aortic root and ascending aorta with dissection,BAV,mod.AR.
Mod. Bental DC Bono surgery with#25 mm St.Jude medical valved conduit
Surgeon: Dr K.s. Neelakandan,Dr.Sridar CARE Hospital, Bangara Hills,Hyderabad,India

Ah yes, 3 years between echocardiograms...

that should help improve Health Care Quality and
Reduce Costs simultaneously.

Another testimonial for the English Medical System.

Al i put link in the war room for you and others hope it's of interest to you .may give you a incite in to heart car in the uk
regards jeff:)

Hi, Out of my interest every month i go for ptinr test.Some of my friends take inr test once in a year .God knows what is the time scale for echo test for heart & valve patients in India. But i took echo test after six months of surgery and decided to take twice in a year after joining VR.COM

SRINIVAS
Aneurysmal dilation of aortic root and ascending aorta with dissection,BAV,mod.AR.
Mod. Bental DC Bono surgery with#25 mm St.Jude medical valved conduit
Surgeon: Dr K.s. Neelakandan,Dr.Sridar CARE Hospital, Bangara Hills,Hyderabad,India

how do you arrange your echo test is it privately funded or a insurance scheme ? i test my INR every week at home which is all thanks to vr.com pointing me in the right direction

Jeff
In Australia I have an echo yearly with the public health system.
I see the surgeon yearly, as with a tissue valve he will get to have another go at me unless he retires before I need surgery again.
I see the cardio every two years as my heart function is normal and I have no other health issues and she doesn't feel she needs to see me more.

my indian doctor had me do the full check-up with echo/ekg/xray/blood
work at three months. as long as all is well, he recommends annual echos.

in actual practice, i'll be doing echos 2-4x per year, basically whenever i
feel the need, since medical care is so affordable out this way.

just began training for a december marathon, and think it's about time
for ekg, echo, and treadmill stress test in a week or so. cost here will
total about US$150.

Jeff
I see the surgeon yearly, as with a tissue valve he will get to have another go at me unless he retires before I need surgery again.
I see the cardio every two years as my heart function is normal and I have no other health issues and she doesn't feel she needs to see me more.

That's interesting That is the opposite of how almost everyone I know does it. They all see the cardiologist yearly (ish) and just see the surgeon when it is time for surgery and maybe once after. I'm curious how your surgeon manages to see ALL his patients that will need another surgery in the future AND still find time to operate.
Most of the surgeons we've dealt with, for the most part operate 4 LOOONG days of the week (plus ER cases)and 1 day see the patients for pre op consults and follow up, IF they see the person for follow up, and not a fellow unless there is an issue.

My surgeon suggested an annual check-up. However, I do the check-up (echo, etc) every six months. In this way, I feel more secured. I only go private and the cost for it is just $ 140,00. Don't you feel that we all deserve this expense when comparing to all those bad times we had? I went through Endocarditis and that was a very tough time......

I'm sure he does, but he may not have known any better or his doctor just doesn't do things that way?

Jeff

WHY are you seeing your Surgeon annually?

In the USA, surgeons typically see their patients for one or two post-op checkups (if done locally) and then refer the patient back to their Cardiologist.

They then see the Cardiologist for a post-op checkup and perhaps another at 6 months, then annually unless there are other 'symptoms'.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi, Out of my interest every month i go for ptinr test.Some of my friends take inr test once in a year .

SRINIVAS

WHOA ! I must have glossed over your second sentence the first time I read it.

Your friends only get an INR test Once per YEAR ?

That is INSANE, RECKLESS, and constitutes Medical Malpractice in my (non-professional) opinion.

For stable patients in most of the rest of the World, the usual practice is every 4 (sometimes 6 weeks). For Home Testers Medicare (USA) recommends WEEKLY INR Testing. Some test every 2 weeks.

'AL Capshaw'

WHY are you seeing your Surgeon annually?

In the USA, surgeons typically see their patients for one or two post-op checkups (if done locally) and then refer the patient back to their Cardiologist.

They then see the Cardiologist for a post-op checkup and perhaps another at 6 months, then annually unless there are other 'symptoms'.

'AL Capshaw'

after my op i had a check up with my surgeon after 6 weeks then i have to go to his clinic every 2 years for a check up .the echo and tredmill test i do for my truck licence are as a separate visit to these .and are done by a Cardiologist and not the surgeon that did the op
regards jeff :)

my indian doctor had me do the full check-up with echo/ekg/xray/blood
work at three months. as long as all is well, he recommends annual echos.

in actual practice, i'll be doing echos 2-4x per year, basically whenever i
feel the need, since medical care is so affordable out this way.

just began training for a december marathon, and think it's about time
for ekg, echo, and treadmill stress test in a week or so. cost here will
total about US$150.

i dred to think what the cost of this would be in the private sector in the UK i would estimate £500 to£1000 2-4xechos per year

My husband sees his cardio every 6 months and has a echo every 2 years as long as he is having no problems. His echo will be Oct. 13th. The cardio says he looks for leakage and stress on the heart. He sees his PCP for everything else once a year. He had his valve replacement 8 years ago. he did have an echo once a year the first 2 years.

i think in the UK unless you have a problem they don't do a echo test . but i stand to be corrected on this though

It could only be your doctor. I would encourage you to check into it. No offense, but the best defense is knowing sooner rather then later. ;)

Latest posts

Back