valve life

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff

can some tell me what the life expectancy of a replacement mitral valve is please . i had mine replaced in 2007 and was wondering how long it will last or will it see me out :D i was 48 years young when i had it done .
cheers Jeff

Assuming that you don't grow pannus (scar tissue) onto it, that you don't develop infective endocarditis, or have one of a few less plausible possibilities, your valve should outlast both you and your firstborn, should you be moved to hand it down someday (I would clean it first).

Best wishes,

Assuming that you don't grow pannus (scar tissue) onto it, that you don't develop infective endocarditis, or have one of a few less plausible possibilities, your valve should outlast both you and your firstborn, should you be moved to hand it down someday (I would clean it first).

Best wishes,

i was thinking the Mrs might want it as a keep sake :D.what is pannus & endocardditis ?can some explain it to me in simple terms as im not very medical minded :)

i was thinking the Mrs might want it as a keep sake :D.what is pannus & endocardditis ?can some explain it to me in simple terms as im not very medical minded :)

Pannus - a flap of tissue, generally scar tissue that develops over time at a surgical site, whose growth blocks a valve from functioning fully.

Endocarditis is inflammation of the inside lining of the heart
chambers and heart valves (endocardium).

These are not overly common, so you shouldn't be worried. They make it sensible to keep up with the annual echoes, though.

Best wishes,

i have to have a echo and a stress test every 3 years for my truck license renewal so that should show that up ?
cheers jeff

Jeff at most, every two years. Most Cardiologists only go every year though. If something is going to go wrong, yearly echoes will catch it much faster.

Jeff at most, every two years. Most Cardiologists only go every year though. If something is going to go wrong, yearly echoes will catch it much faster.

they don't do that in the UK Ross .i only have them because of my truck licence renewal . i have a routine appointment with my cardiologist every two years but last time he only asked me a few questions and took my blood pressure .:confused:

Try asking him about it and see if there isn't a way to work it into the system. I didn't realize that you were from across the pond, sorry.

Try asking him about it and see if there isn't a way to work it into the system. I didn't realize that you were from across the pond, sorry.

no problem Ross , they do thing different over here though , think to do that he will have to refer me to a cardiologist and give a reason why he wants he test doing . i have no complaints about the uk system it's done me good for 50 years :D
regards Jeff

Ah yes, 3 years between echocardiograms...

that should help improve Health Care Quality and
Reduce Costs simultaneously.

Another testimonial for the English Medical System.

Ah yes, 3 years between echocardiograms...

that should help improve Health Care Quality and
Reduce Costs simultaneously.

Another testimonial for the English Medical System.

the 3 year test is nothing to do with the English medical system it's a mandatory requirement for me to keep my truck licence entitlement . and as i take it you have no first hand experience of the uk health system as i don't of the us system . i keep my thoughts to my self . and want to enter in to a slanging match over it .
regards jeff.

al you might have a point but sum of us are really very greatfull for the british nhs,there saved my life,wherever you live theres good and bad in the health service we get,nowheres perfect,end of rant

I had MVR in Jan of this year and it moos. Docs said a good 18 years on this one but with all the new tecnology today I am sure it will all be easier in the future for replacements

My Surgeon told me it would outlast me! That is all I needed to know, now when I am cremated I wonder if the box will rattle! LOL! Just a added bonus I guess!

Back