tips please

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangebrittainy

Ok so right now the roughest part of my day is getting up and out of bed. I can get myself up and its not too bad, but the first time in the morning after I sit up, there is this moment that everything hurts all at once and it hits me like a train. It doesn't last too long but I would still rather not go through it. Any tips????

Not really much to offer, but this should pass fairly quickly. You can try setting your alarm an hour or two before that to take pain meds, so by the time you get up you are mostly pain-free.

The only solution to that is pain meds as suggested and patience while healing. You'll see improvement soon, hopefully.
Heart surgery is not meant for 'whimps'. :) Hope you are more comfortable very soon.

As someone else suggested, if you can take your pain meds an hour or so before you have to get up, that might help. Also how are you sleeping, meaning do you have extra pillows propping you up so you aren't as flat as you normally would be? Hopefully it will be a little better each morning.

Just make sure you hug yourself tightly... and then slowly loosen your grip on your chest once you sit up.. I know exactly how you feel.. I still have issues when I first get up if I don't pay attention to what I am doing.. I think it makes a difference if you are doing the chest exercises they give you.. as things start to heal, they tighten as well.. gotta keep those muscles from freezing up solid :) hope you start feeling better soon!

My moments of super intense pain were immediately when I lay down at night. It felt like my ribs would collapse.
I avoided pain meds and used concentration and focus instead. There was a spot on the bookcase that I would visually focus on, breathe slowly, and repeat a mantra in my head. Sounds weird, but it worked for me.

I had a booklet they gave me that showed exercises done with a pole or a long stick (I used a yardstick) where you kind of move it around in a way that you stretch a lot of muscles.

I had a booklet they gave me that showed exercises done with a pole or a long stick (I used a yardstick) where you kind of move it around in a way that you stretch a lot of muscles.

Right, I remember that too.
Since my shoulders and arms were previously trashed with tendonitis, I did the exercises while laying down on my back in bed; lifting the yardstick with straight arms slowly up and over me.

Wait a minute: Get a pole and move around it? -- sounds like pole-dancing to me. :p:p:p

Okay, sorry, couldn't resist. I know this is not a laughing matter.

My solution was to avoid the bed altogether for a long time after surgery, and more or less live in my recliner. Thereby avoided the pain of getting in and out of bed. I realize that may not be relevant for your situation. Hopefully some of the other suggestions offered here will work for you. I also hugged my heart pillow and did some mental imagery along the lines of what Bina described.

10 weeks out I'm still at my sorest when I wake up but it's not bad, I just feel a bit stiff so I take a warm bath as soon as I wake up. You probably aren't able to take baths yet. When I was in pain I'd wake myself up through out the night and take my pain mess every 4 hours as directed and I usually didn't need them during the day if I woke up pain free. But really massage your chest and use a warm compress (NOT hot) and eventually when it's more of a nerve pain than muscle soreness switch to cold packs. The ones with clay that you can microwave or freeze are the best. I bought mine at the drug store. Massage you will learn helps more than anything else.

I agree with others! This will pass! I know it's hard to deal with all of these new issues after heart surgery. But before you know it, you will be feeling great!

at last I dont dread nights

at last I dont dread nights

I had AVR 5 weeks ago and only found when semi reclined in bed, using a portable beach type support, am I relatively free of pain in the mornings. Cos Im almost sitting up anyway I have stopped getting that awful pain as I sit up fully. I tried turning on my side and pushing up with my arms which helped a bit, and another technique was grabbing my duvet between my feet and winching myself up by grabbing the top of the duvet with my hands! Sort of a tug of war effort that sometimes paid off lol! The semi reclined is definitely the best so far and i sleep much better. I rest a memory foam pillow under my knees which also helps to take the pressure off my lower back. Initially taking painkillers half an hr before i did anything also helped except its hard to drink and swallow tablets whilst lying down. Choking isnt goin to help my heart recovery!

Latest posts

Back