Terrified of Male Catheters

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zztimeout

Do you have one of these inserted when you have OHS ?? I am scraed to death of having one of these things fitted... The thought of it brings tears to my eyes with the thought of the pain having something being feed up there... OOOHHHHH...

Any feedback on this would be great....

Cheers
DAve

Dave
They sometimes insert it, in surgery.....and if not, you can request it be placed in surgery....that way your asleep. When you wake with it in place, you will sometimes feel pressure, like you need to urinate, even though your bladder will be emptying into a drainage system (Bag). A small amount of sterile water 5-10 ml., will be inserted in a port, which will fill a small balloon inside your bladder, after it is checked for placement....this will keep it from falling/pulling out. Be sure they tape it to your thigh, so when you move or get out of bed, it doesn't pull... that can be uncomfortable. When the Doctor orders it removed, they will remove the sterile water from the port, they inserted it in, thus deflating the balloon, it then slides out easily... with only a slight burning feeling at times....some men feel nothing.
Honestly, the thing most men have problems with is, before they start to clean the meatus off, they must hold "your member" , then they pull it upward and slightly backward to straighten the urethra, as males have two curves in their urethra. Alot of men seem to be embarrassed by this procedure. Don't be...just breath slowly and relax. It is a very quick procedure. ( unless you have scaring, stricture and/or narrowing of the urethra or Phimosis, which is : constriction of the prepuce (foreskin) ...but don't worry...you won't have either of these) They always lubricate on about 8 inches of the cath, but anesthetic gel can be introduced into the urethra too.. They need it for accurate measurement of intake and output.
Best of luck........you will do just fine :)
Renee

Personally, I think you're right to be terrified of this procedure -- I had two times of intense pain, first when I first sat up after surgery and second when they took the catheter out. Putting it in was no problem at all, since they gave me happy juice first, and then they could do whatever they wanted, I didn't care. If I had to go through it again, I would want the happy juice when they took the thing out.

Mine was put in I guess in surgery, I have no recollection of it. I guess everyone is different because I had no pain or problem when it was removed.

It is iccky to think about, but I'm with Cooker: It was a non-issue. Must have gone in while I was knocked out, and when they took it out, it wasn't painful. To avoid pain in general, I took percocet post-op whenever the nurses offered it. I would try not to stress about it. You'll be fine.

Mine was put in during surgery. You do have a sensation of urinating, but for me it was no big deal.No pain when they removed it, just a quick pulling sensation. You will be glad you had one, too much bother other wise. The male nurse did tell me to be thankfulll it was put in when I was out. I stressed over the whole idea too, but looking back...no big deal.

The worst part for me was just after it was removed. The nurse said NOW PEE on your own or we will have to PUT IT BACK IN!!! No pressure there, I was so happy to be able to pee on my own but Ihad to do it standing up.
Glad they put it in while I was out and no it did not hurt when they took it out.

I had mine inserted while I was "out" in surgical prep. They removed is a day or two later, but due to some other problems, we had to re-insert. Both times, non-issues. Be sure to clearly discuss your fears with the care team, and they can take precationary measures to avoid pain.

For me, both times it was a lifesaver. Due to being a "guy of a certain age" with a prostate that is trying to make itself known, once I'm off anesthesia the absolute last bodily function I regain control over is urination -- thus the catheter is my friend. I never could pee in bed with either a bed pan or the bottle, so the bag is the answer for me.

I don't remember anything about it truthfully. I don't even remember them putting it on or taking it off. I don't even remember going to the bathroom for about a day. Was a non-issue for me.

when I woke up from surgery....blam ! there it was ! no issues, no discomfort. Taking it out wasn't all that bad to be honest either. Now...they did say that if you don't pee 800ml within 8 hrs of removal that they will put it back in ! awake ! So I was chuggin water and waddlin my butt to the toilet right away ! Needless to say all the plumbing started right back up again.

I think just about every male here shares your fear. It is unavoidable so it is something that you just have to accept. Something you can do, Dave, is to tell your surgeon about the things that bother you. My surgeon assured me that it would only be put in place after I was unconscious and that is exactly what happened. I found it a surprise that, during the three days it was in place, I was never very aware of it. I told the nursing staff that I was really troubled about the removal of the foley catheter so an hour or so before it was done the nurse brought something to help me stay calm. The removal only takes a moment and you will be ok afterwords. You are going to find that the nursing staff that will care for you is composed of people who have helped hundreds and even thousands of patients through the days immediately after surgery. If you talk with them, they can help. At my hospital, in fact, they were quite happy to talk about what's happening and then to discuss options. These are people who like what they do and if you experss an interest by asking questions they will respond. Many people just never ask.

Last edited:
It was a non-issue for me both times I had the surgery. There is likely no reason they can't do it after you're "out" from the anesthesia, as they did for me and most others (I don't think I'd care to participate in it "live," either). Didn't hurt coming out either time. I believe that's the experience of most, by far.

Best wishes,

Well for me it was in an out a few times and never an issue but was a source of entertainment as when it came out my son used the entertainment term for an act done without any electrical aid (eg acoustic guitar vs amped electric) ....after it was out and I had to go either in a urinal or bathroom he woul say " DAD IS GOING UNPLUGGED" he never got tired of that one LOL and I was glad to be of EV (entertainment value)

It was a non-issue for me too. It was inserted during my surgery prep after I was given the happy juice. The removal was no big deal. I don't recall feeling anything. I do recall the nurse telling me if I didn't urinate within a few hours after it was removed that they would need to reinsert it while I was awake. Now that got my attention. Fortunately the old running hot water trick worked and eased my worries of needing the catheter reinserted.

The first time any man is told about this procedure we say "your going to do what? I dont think so!" I have had several over the years and they were "put in" during surgery so no issue there.Even though I was more than nervous when it had to come out it never hurt.It comes out real fast and at worst alittle uncomfortable but, no pain.

Before surgery my brother told me to tell the nurse that if she made it hard she better be willing to go all the way! I did not think this was an appropriate thing to say considering my step mother was visiting at the time.

I think aside from the IV that will be started in your arm just before you go into surgery, everything else (and there is a lot of stuff) will be done once you're knocked out. Certainly ask when you go in for your pre-op stuff.

Back