Terrified of Male Catheters

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zztimeout, I didn't spend much time worrying about it pre-op, but the whole idea of it terrified me the whole time it was there. No pain (inserted during surgery, I "wasn't there"!) but every time I moved around, or went for a walk, it was ALWAYS the first thing I reached for, to make sure I didn't accidentally put tension on the tube (yee-yikes!). The nurses all seemed way more casual about that prospect than I was. I think mine stayed in for 2 or even 3 days. The removal wasn't bad at all (no pain-killers applied, or in my system), and there wasn't any residual pain or even discomfort.

zztimeout - In case I haven't mentioned it, I've had these things re-inserted after surgery, and even that wasn't a major ideal. Try becoming unable to pee for a while and you will see what a relief these things can be.

I, too walked some laps around the hospital unit before mine came out. Just ask the nurses not to forget that it is there.

I felt the same way, but it really wasn't a big deal. It's actually nice not having to get up to go to the restroom. Especially after having major surgery.

I am still pre-surgery, but I had back surgery in 2007 and they inserted mine while I was out and it was already removed when I woke up. It wasn't painful but it was certainly uncomfortable for a few days following surgery. I remember that my back felt amazing following the surgery....no pain or discomfort whatsoever, but the discomfort from having the catheter in was the only thing that bothered me.

Mine was put in I guess in surgery, I have no recollection of it. I guess everyone is different because I had no pain or problem when it was removed.
Same here. I was amazed at how much of a non-issue this was. Never noticed it while I had it or when it was removed. Be more positive.

Latest posts

Back