Steve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well. . . I AM here!

Well. . . I AM here!

Hi to everyone, and thanks for all the kind wishes.

This has certainly not been a walk in the park for me. For the surgeon maybe. . .

Went in at 11AM on Monday. Got into the OR about 2:30. Got out of the or somewhere around 7PM with my new Edwards bovine valve (it says "MOOO!")

After that, the schedule went out in the trash. They had me out of bed for a walk. I did fine, BUT later that evening my heart rate went up through the roof! No problem for an MD, just start oppressor NOT! I went right from a walk into cardiac arrest, and from there to a pacemaker. After the pacer, it took them the rest of the week to figure out the Meds to start me on to have the pacer protect the low speed end ofnscale and a beta blocker to control the high speed. Now from here all I have to do is redraft the recovery process all over again.

So, it has been rough so far, but we're going to get back on track. Will keep you posted.

I'm so glad to hear from you. Sorry to hear about the tough time. Hopefully they'll get things figured out and you can get back to your planned recovery.

This has certainly not been a walk in the park for me. For the surgeon maybe. . .

Went in at 11AM on Monday. Got into the OR about 2:30. Got out of the or somewhere around 7PM with my new Edwards bovine valve (it says "MOOO!")

After that, the schedule went out in the trash. They had me out of bed for a walk. I did fine, BUT later that evening my heart rate went up through the roof! No problem for an MD, just start oppressor NOT! I went right from a walk into cardiac arrest, and from there to a pacemaker. After the pacer, it took them the rest of the week to figure out the Meds to start me on to have the pacer protect the low speed end ofnscale and a beta blocker to control the high speed. Now from here all I have to do is redraft the recovery process all over again.

So, it has been rough so far, but we're going to get back on track. Will keep you posted.

THERE is the problem ..you should never have let the surgeons go for that "walk in the park"

Steve it is great to hear from you and here is a link to an ICD site if you want http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/index.php

Godspeed and praying for smooth roads ahead

I'm glad you're a fighter. You got through it, and you will get through anything else too. Breathe. Rest.
The airwaves are full of wishes for an easier journey from here on out.

Holy smokes, they sure had you up walking quickly. I'm envious of those who bounce back from anesthesia so nicely.
But I guess your heart had other plans and it's a good thing they had all week to monitor you and adjust accordingly.
Wishing you smooth sailing ahead. :)

Steve,
Thanks for posting your update. Sorry that you are going through this tough time. You've just undergone major surgery and the 'heart is not happy' right now. Hoping things smooth out for you and that you can start a bump free recovery very soon.
Take things slowly. OHS was certainly no walk in the park for me either.
Continuing positive thoughts and best wishes,

From a fellow moo-er.

Steve, it is soooo good to hear from you. 'So sorry for the diversion from the 'plan.' Take care and only positive steps from here on out... :)

Great Steve, take it one day at a time my friend! Sorry to hear it has not been easy. Stay warm and safe.

Jeff from the "Great White North"

Had a feeling that you had maybe a bumpy ride, Steve. Indeed, they should give you a free flight anywhere in the world. :D

Sorry, you've had to do a restart on recovery, but hoping things will be a lot smoother for you from now on. Take care.

Steve:

I suspected you had hit one of those nasty speed bumps they put on what should be a leisurely Sunday drive. :)
Hope things slow down and you can avoid any more speed bumps.

Last edited:
Steve, it's like one of those movies where the hero has gone far underwater to do a wonderful deed, and everyone is waiting for him to surface. It seems to take forever. You've surfaced. Now we can breathe again, too.

Hopefully, things will even out again and you won't have to be on a permanent pacemaker (I am assuming they're pacing you through the pacer wires they leave in place after the surgery). The heart does get a bit teed off about the manhandling. Take your time, but keep yourself on an even keel emotionally as much as possible. You may be making decisions about treatment options that will affect you long-term, and you don't want to do that out of fear or overcaution - or from overjacked bravado, of course.

If it's hospital doctors who are making decisions, you may want to make sure your cardiologist is in the middle of it, make sure your wishes are known to him/her, that they are explaining everything to you, and that you are at least riding shotgun on the outcome. I know you are very well versed about the situation you're in, and you have by far the biggest stake in any decisions.

You are, of course, still in my thoughts.

Resta forte (stay strong),

I don't know who's more shocked at that early walk, me or your heart!! ;) My CICU nurse tried very hard (though just barely unsuccessfully) to talk me into a Morphine injection, maybe ~10 hrs post-op, because I was going to "dangle" my legs over the side of the bed, then stand and shuffle sideways a foot or two and sit down again!! (At least in my case, she was nuts, because there wasn't even any discomfort, much less pain.)

Those are two VERY different post-op protocols!

I hope they skip all the future "heroics" and just let you rest and heal and gradually recover!!

Hey Steve

I am trying to get my head around your most unfortunate set back. You of all people to end up with a pacer after a routine valve job, who would have thought? Definitely not me. Wishing you the speediest of recoveries and getting back to being VR's "Steve". Your a rock star in our little cyber world called VR.org.

Steve, glad to hear your news. Sometimes things don't always go as planned but we bounce back. Keep up the good fight and I hope your recovery goes smoother from here on out.

Latest posts

Back