Logged out of work for the last time Pre-surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdryer

Thats it, as of Mar 13, I'm officially one week pre-op for replacement of the AV and a graft of the ascending aorta. Those that have followed me, know my history of critical AS measuring .6cm2 and aneurysm of the ascending aorta measuring 4.5 cm diagnosed on Oct 14/10. Logged out of work officially for 2-3 mths at the end of Sundays shift.

I owe so much to my brothers and sisters on this forum who have heard my rants about such thing as my provincial health system. Guided me through valve selection, including my personal quest to bring the On-X valve to my home city and put up with my guy humor. I have without thought stepped on a few members for which I am sorry.

I am taking this week off to relish in life as I know it prior to stepping to the clicking of a MHV, managing warfarin, and adjusting to the unknown. I plan to swim, hang in my back yard, which is a huge Canadian provincial park, partaking in some easy jogs/walks and cycling. In the back ground will be the rocky mountains, of which I had to avoid for the first time decades, because of my life threatening diagnosis.

I will also be preparing my house, friends and family for my inevitable life changing challenge. Most of all I will have to prepare my own mind set.

Hoping I do not get bumped!

Hello,
Wishing you the best! I'm up 4/6/11 for my AVR. Hope all goes smoothly! And wishing your surgeons "golden fingers".
Daiva

bdryer,
I remember all too well the feeling as we leave our work world for the final time before surgery. None of us can know precisely what till come in our future, but we do know that it will be drastically and significantly different. I worked right up through the Friday before my Monday surgery, in the hope that it would keep my mind busy until the last couple of days. Worked for me, but I must say that the imagery you've created in the park surely sounds good. Keep those images in mind as you travel the route over the mountain.

You will be in our thoughts and prayers. You will do fine, even if you hit the occasional speed bump. We'll be here on the other side watching for your good news.

Hey, I like your guy humor and you haven't stepped on me - no worries.

Stay in touch and best of luck come next week, we'll keep the light on for you.

Best wishes and Godspeed to you! I just had the same procedures week and a half ago.
I know about the last day of work senerio. I hate to be real, but it can happen. I was bumped by telephone on my way out the door for my 1st scheduled date. It does happen. That being said, the time does go by and you'll still git'r done.
Hopefully you will go off on schedule, and trust me and the rest of us, your mind will be so much better off once you are on the other side.
John

All the best with last the days awaiting upcoming surgery, looks like you have finally made it to the top of queue....good for you.

As has been said, the wait and pre-surgery unknown were the worst for me, surgery and recovery is a very temporary period vs. the months of waiting.

For me i had imagined the worst and it all worked out fine.

Wishing you the same.

Gil

Some guy's will do anything to get out of work...
Remember what your Dr. Said, it is just a little BoBo!
You will be up in no time Ranting and Raving about something new...
As soon as my air tube was pulled out and my wife heard me talk, she knew nothing had changed.
You will be better than new and you will not only cherish this week before surgery but for many years to come!

Be brave, be proud but most of all "Be On-x Time".

We will all be there with you Bruce, may the gods be kind!
Jeff

bdryer

Best of luck on your big day....your in my thoughts and prayers. Glad you could have this time off to relax, prepare and enjoy yourself, your family and friends. See you on the recovery side of the mountain !!!!
Renee
ps...guy humor ? heck, unless you guys sign your real name or say you have given birth, I can not tell who is male or female here. I love all your senses of humor :)

Brother bigsitster, dude can you believe we were diagnosed about the same time? Your already carrying a 24 of Canadian brew and blowing the dust off the clubs, while I'm just prepping myself for crawling on the table wearing nothing but that, "little backless number". Somebody explain how to pee when it's cinched up in the back. I'm about as flexible as rebar. Swimming thousands of clicks and breaking collar bones in cycling crashes does not leave one as flexible as Candy, swinging around on a brass pole. Not that I would know anything about that. He He!

Steve, the good lord kicking the sh_t out of one upstanding VR member, I hope is enough for him. Paved the way u have. In spades! What was the name of the hospital that put you down and brought you back more then once? I'm buying stocks in it. Glad you pulled it off and cheated the grim reaper!

Hey Greg a. Ahhh yes, St Pat's day is all about a brewski. Started training lets week for the decathlon! Lets see, Canadian, Labbats, Big Rock, Kokanne, etc.......I Must call Mom, she told me I am German and English. Truthfully, I think I'm Irish. Was up early to get the brewskies chilled. When I'm thinking green, it's got nothing to do with the environment. Like I said, I THINK I'M IRISH! Your dancing leprechaun looks way to sober, would your pour him a glass please?

Jeffffy, yea man "On-X time". Well said. That reminds me, I must find a cheap wind up timex. I don't want it to work as the ticking would conflict with the MHV heart valve and cause a harmonic imbalance that would drive me Squirly. I just want a device to blame the tick toc sound from my body On [-X].

Mentu, I thank you soooo much for the conversations that we have had off the forum, as they truly have instilled a certain kind of confidence in the unknown.

Bean Counter, spoke with the On-X rep yesterday and we guessed that I would get a 21 mm AV. He said hey, you'll get 3 times the output then what I'm presently getting from my natural valve. That hot wind on your back may be coming up from behind. OMG what did I just say!?

Feddie, you should like this post as I'm speaking, well, quite Frankly as a guy. LOL!

I reflect back to guys like Neil Brewer, nngbwh, who give little blurbs of support on posts, all the way up to To members like Bina, superbob, ottawa girl and sheezagirlee, who jumped into my reindeer games. They mean a heck of lot. They told me I'm not alone and to have faith.

Jumpy, what a laugh to have stumbled on someone that you have never met, on something like VR.ORG, only to realize we work for the same company. Know that when your day comes, they will take great care of you. Here is to teal, white and green!

Duff man, well what can I say. You know your stuff. Thanks! normofthenoth, you get a PHD from Hank.

Dick0236. Wow you are a true legend in this little world. Thanks to you and protime for the faith in warfarin management.

Special thanks to Al Capshaw!!!

Wish I could answer you all on a personal level but, it's St Paddies. I've got work to do!

Best Wishes for your Surgery Bruce! I'll be watching for your updates.

BTW, I finally figured out that I needed to click on the "Remember me?" box after changing my password so that VR would recognize my user-name. Glad to finally be back on the Forums...

'AL'

Latest posts

Back