ladies on your personal pj's

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel

Did any of the ladies here get to wear their own personal gowns, or pj's that they took with them to the hospital? Just wondering.

Ask at your pre-op if it's ok; it probably is. I didn't bring any or want to. You never know when you're gonna get blood or whatever else kind of gunk on you. I can pretty much assure you the first few days after surgery you won't give a hoot what you have on.

I brought some but never actually put them on. You really can't because you have your chest tubes in and pacemaker wires in the first few days. Then after that I was used to the hospital gown so I just stuck with it.

I had with me and used some PJ pants, not a big fan of my tush hanging out of the gowns. I also was glad to have a zip front sweat shirt for the last couple of days when I was up and moving about more.

The first go round I didn't use my personal pjs. After 2 operations, I was so bloated by the time I went home I had my husband go to Wal Mart and pick up some Men's Large PJs. Blech, ugly, scratchy.

For my defibrillator swap out, I wore my own pjs, since I had to to be hospitalized for 3 days prior to start the sotolol after going into v-tach.

This round, I'm planning on taking some of my larger pjs (figuring I'll be bloated again from all the saline solution). Those things are old and can be tossed if they get stained.
We can just run the drains out the top and bottom of my shirt. My pacemaker is internal now, so that's one less set of wires and dealy-bop to worry with.

I think most heart surgery hospitals would prefer that you wear the hospital gowns. You are going to have all kind of things on you like IV lines, heart monitor lines and some of those come with a portable monitor which has to fit into a special pocket in your gown. Plus as others have mentioned, there is the possibility of stains from blood or iodine based preps and other types of stains, even food stains.

A lot of these gowns have the snap open sleeves which make it very easy for the staff to change gowns without disturbing IV lines.

You might want to bring a robe though.

It's really hard to wear a nightgown when you still have chest tubes, and it's really hard to wear PJ pants when you have a Foley (urinary catheter). And I can almost guarantee you won't want a pullover top! Once my Foley was out, though, it felt good to wear my own PJs (pull-on pants and short-sleeve button top) for the last couple days. It made me feel more like myself again. My feeling is, you may end up not wearing them, but what's the harm in packing them?

Marcia

I generally just wear my own pj bottoms. Like Nancy said, the hospital gowns make it easier to change without disturbing IV lines. One thing I've always done is ask for a second gown that I put on backwards (ties in the front) as a robe. That way there aren't any gaps for people to peer into. ;)

The first day or two you won't really care what you are wearing. Once you're up and moving about you might have more of an opinion. Depending on what you still have attached, it might be possible to change into your own clothes. But I'd rather have them do the laundry than me! ;)

Oh, and Laurie, I've got an internal pacemaker too, but with my VR they did the external wires anyway. But maybe it would be different with the ICD (I only had my plain-Jane pacer at that time).

That was about the last thing I was interested in both my OHS.
I wore the hospital gowns. They had snaps at the shoulders for access to whatever they needed to do to me. During chest tube removal, arterial line removal, bed baths, cath removals...... I couldn't care about having my personal nightgown.

I brought a robe which was easy to get into for my second surgery but never to bothered with it. I used a second hospital gown worn backwards to be sure I was fully covered when out of bed. My nurses were fastidious to be certain I was always modestly covered.

I wore my own pj bottoms as soon as my catheter was out. (That first shower is wonderful.) However, I still wore the hospital gown since it had a pocket for the heart monitor thing. My own robe was nice, too. Just remember not to sweat the small stuff. Just remember to breathe, sleep, eat and walk--then repeat. (This advice was borrowed from others who gave it to me.)

Not a lady,but Justin really prefers to be in his own pjs as soon as his foley is out. Well clothes like gym shorts ot sweat/track pants and button down Pj tops or a loose button shirt (kind of like the Tawdry shirts) with short sleeves so they have easy access to his IVs ect. The wires aren't a problems with botton down front. Definatlely once he is out of CICU, he wears his own clothes during the day. He says it just makes him feel better. We've had nurses say they are glad to see him up and dressed and that some times they encourage patients to change (If they have clothes) because it helps some people.
Usually he puts the monitor in his shirt or pants pockets, but both hospitals he had surgery at had disposable telemetry pouches, you could wear either around your neck /or shoulder Or around your waist like a fanny pack like this http://www.pmedicalonline.com/servlet/the-165/Philips-9300-dsh-0768-dsh-050-Telemetry-Pouch/Detail

Maybe personal is ok, especially for the ladies as lord lnow i am not a lady or even a gentleman.:eek:

What was recommended and worked really well for me and others of both sexes, was the 2 hospital gown idea, one as it should be, tying the back and one worn as a housecoat, for lounging and walking the halls, joshing nurses and patients alike....flashing ok too if it strikes your fancy and almost seems legal in a cardiac ward.;)

You will likely be peeing often, in days post surgery and post catheter and the above wardrobe is awfully convenient. Furthermore it allows attending staff to monitor extremities, arms and legs and they do this often, so you want them to have the quick viduals to ensure, no bruising etc...not sure socks are even a good idea, but easy slip on slippers definately a good idea, for getting out of bed and around....keep warm if you need, but you will likely find it warm already.

In summary a cardiac ward and the 5-7 days spent there, are not much of a fashion place, including the nursing staff....darn

Gil

I just wore the hospital gown and the hospitals housecoat, that was sufficient enough for me..... just remember to bring your own slippers.

More important than pj's are easy to slide into slippers. I was so happy to have my slippers as I really don't like those non-skid socks they hand out. I learned that when I took off my slippers, I always made sure they were placed along the base of the bed tray table they keep moving from here to there. If the slippers were at the base, each time the table was pushed aside, the slippers stayed accessible to me. If I only put them at the bedside, they disappeared under the bed, under the chair and who knows where else.

Oh the silly little things we pay attention to when we have absolutely no control of our situation. :)

I was able to wear my PJ bottoms after the follie was removed but also wore the hospital gown because of all the wires from the monitors, IV's, etc. Makes it easier for everyone to get to you promptly!

Latest posts

Back