I beat the odds and thank you to the forum

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleman

Yesterday was a very long day for me but it ended up being a great day, I have been released, by my cardiologist back to full firefighting duties. For those who have missed my occasional posts, June 1st I passed out at the eye doctors, 90 hours later I was in surgery having my bicuspid valve changed out with a mechanical one. Thus started my long rocky road of recovery.

Six months and one day later, after months of cardio therapy and my cardiologist’s poking and prodded me, it was down to having me take a stress test. This was it to get me back to full time work, I hoped. The only day he could do it this month was this last Friday. The only problem was that I was in a meeting in South Carolina till Friday morning and I live in California. But I could do it but it was going to be a long day in the air. After my meeting, 2 days of intense discussions that lasted up to ten hours, I finished the meeting. In the early morning, 330 am east coast time, I went to the airport and jumped on a jet flew back to California. I rushed out of the airport and straight to the doctor’s office. I was exhausted from little sleep, jet lag, nerves and stiffness seats from the flight. The other patients in the waiting room were looking at me weird because I could not sit down for too long and was pacing the waiting room floor. My butt was too sore to sit for too long. They bought me back and hooked me up for the stress test, and then the cardiologist himself came in and conducted the test. After 20 minutes of testing the cardiologist gave up. I wont lie I was hurting but I still had more in me to continue. He left and returned with the release paperwork I needed.

To some of you this might not be a big deal, but in the emergency services, very few of us even attempt to return to duty after OHS. We face a not only mending our bodies but department doctors, policy makers and insurance companies that put road blocks in our way. Most take a medical retirement and call it good and move on.

I wish to thank the group out there that contributes to this forum, it has helped me through some emotionally difficult times and to make sense of my situation. The support by reading the posts and the emails have been great. The knowledge that you are not alone has been a big help. I would like to say a special thanks Cam(camgough)for being in the same situation and blazing a trail, Steve(epstns)class president for the 2011ers, Dick(dick0236)you’re my hero- 44 plus years with the same valve got to love it, Greg( grega) I love your signature to your post), I could go on and on. Just know to everyone who posts your stories and feed back is appreciated.

Don’t worry, I am not dropping off line, I will still check in once a day and speak up occasionally. The journey still continues.

Thanks again to all of you out there.

Jim

What an inspiration come on baby! Get er' done! I'm telling you, like you said going back after OHS is rare but you didn't just have the average OHS you had valve replacement, thats a big freakin deal, and you still came back. Man share a picture with us in your uniform. Oh ya and thanks for inspiring me today.

Deputy%20Chief%20Jim%20Middleton.jpg

here you go Julian. I hope that it does not crash your computer. :biggrin2:

Jim this is wonderful news, indeed! To be released on active duty is just great!

As a fireman you should have been in Cape Town today, a large stern trawler caught fire early this morning (we have a bird's eye view of the harbour) and the land based fire tenders were there in no time and later the harbour tugs arrived with their water canon but the ship continued to burn fiercely all day (lots of very black smoke with billows of white steam) and now 14 hours later she is still smoking and had taken on quite a list from al the water poured into and onto her.

Wishing you the very best for your continued career in the emergency services.

it does sound like a long hegtic day, but so glad to hear how well it turned out. What a great way to start the holiday season

Excellent news, and a testament for those who may think having a mechanical valve somehow makes you less able to do strenuous work. Congrats!

Fantastic news

Fantastic news

That's great news - and will encourage all who are facing valve surgery. Nearly the end of 2011 ... a big year for our Class!
Alli

To all

Thanks for the great posts. As an update, my first week has been thankfully slow. I only had one house fire and a bicycle accident. Unfortunately the bike accident was a coworker who just retired last week. He is going to be ok, but he is in the hospital. It is just goes to shows again how you need to enjoy everyday to the fullest.

Thanks again everybody. :D

Re: I beat the odds and thank you to the forum

Hey middleman
Pm me please. I am a firefighter going through this currently and any assistance you can provide would be great.
Thank you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back