Going off Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnp

So now its + 6 weeks after my repair surgery.

First, no more Lasix
Then, no more Oxycodone
Then, no more Tylenol
Now, no more Warfarin

So far, I don't feel or notice anything different. I don't think the Warfarin had any adverse effects on me. The blood tests were a minor pain in the *ss, and it was a bummer I had to watch my salad intake (of all things to be told to cut back on), but other than that, now I don't think it would have been a big deal to be on it longer.
But I will have a spinach salad today.

Anyone esle notice Warfarin side effects?

Good morning John
One of the many warfarin side effects to warfarin is--feeling cold and intolerance to cold. Feeling cold means a chilled to the bone feeling on most days, Spouse is now on warfarin for A-fib and he experiences feeling cold but not chilled to the bone. We're in the same house and nothing has changed. I spend most evenings wrapped in a blanket. This feeling cold has nothing to do with ambient air temperature because I'm fine part of the day and then chilled to the bone--house temperature has not changed.
It's really too bad though professionals are advising cutting back on greens--it's not necessary. We try and eat a similar amount each day. I have never noticed a relationship between salads and INR. Some over the counter drugs and some herbal meds do affect it though as does more or less activity and weight loss or gain.
I've been on ACT for 11 years, wish I'd never heard of it and hate the stuff. I've learned through experience warfarin is a life-long complication to anything medical that complicates your life. Most others do not agree with me and that's fine. I home test and usually am usually range.

I've been on warfarin 4 weeks and have not noticed in difference in how I feel. I do bruise a little easier. I have been told to have a salad every day (consistently) because I apparently metabolize the warfarin well. Having greens consistently actually helps me stay in range better.

I'll be on it long term because of the mechanical valve, so it is better to dose the diet than diet the dose.

My wife had to take it for a year for a DVT (resulting from a cath, no less). She claimed that it caused her hair to thin and her gums to recede. Anybody else have these?

I'm likely to have to deal with Coumadin/Warfarin for a few months after my pending aortic valve (tissue) replacement.

lance - interesting about warfrin and feeling cold. I have been on warfrin for 6 months. I feel much colder since my OHS. I was always on the cold side. This year has been a deep freeze for Southern Ohio. Last night was 8 degrees. I bought LL Beans best down parka for this winter. Helps a lot. Thinking about moving to North Carolina in a year or two. Never liked the cold and now like it less. Good Luck.

Pat

It was a little difficult at first to get used to the increased taste for cheese, but after nine years, it's no longer any problem.

lance - interesting about warfrin and feeling cold. I have been on warfrin for 6 months. I feel much colder since my OHS. I was always on the cold side. This year has been a deep freeze for Southern Ohio. Last night was 8 degrees. I bought LL Beans best down parka for this winter. Helps a lot. Thinking about moving to North Carolina in a year or two. Never liked the cold and now like it less. Good Luck.
Pat
My friends in North Carolina shiver and say they'd like to move down here to Texas. Those of us in North Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth area) would love to spend winters in the San Antonio area.

I lost 24 pounds after my MVR. I gained back 8 pounds, then shed more in the next year. I felt the cold pretty intensely at first -- after all, I had lost enough weight that I wasn't carrying as much protective fat.

At the first, I was anal about what I ate as far as vitamin K is concerned. But after a few months, I relaxed and didn't worry about it.

My husband was on warfarin from May 2007 to December 2007, for a-fib after his MV repair. He didn't have any hair loss or any increase in cold intolerance (he's always cold, even in the summer). Our PCP's office did his INR tests and I intervened with dosage adjustments. Our PCP was off the afternoons John had his INR tests, so another MD looked at the results. We were going nowhere in getting John in range, so I stepped in, called the office and explained things and gave them my recommendation. My recommendation got him in range, so they deferred to me on adjustments.

Congratulations on stopping ACT. I was supposed to take it three months after my bovine replacement (second OHS) but my surgeon told me to stop at 2 1/2 months and I was thrilled. It was a happy day in my life.

Best wishes for all good health.

It was a little difficult at first to get used to the increased taste for cheese, but after nine years, it's no longer any problem.

Jim, you are too funny !!
I've always loved cheese, and have no probs with warfarin. My hands and feet have always been cold, and the deep
chill is because I am getting OLDER (oh no!!) and have run out of HOT hormones. ;)

My wife had to take it for a year for a DVT (resulting from a cath, no less). She claimed that it caused her hair to thin and her gums to recede. Anybody else have these?

I'm likely to have to deal with Coumadin/Warfarin for a few months after my pending aortic valve (tissue) replacement.

I have been on it for 7 months now and I have noticed that my gums hurt and appear to be receding. My husband thinks I am crazy but I have never even had a cavity , I know this is not my normal.

I've been on it for about 9 weeks, and hope to come off it in early March. Very few symptoms of it, though, mostly some unexplained bruises. I'm HOPING that some of the weird things I'm experiencing -- like really itchy skin -- are side-effects of either the ACT or the Metoprolol, which I'm also hoping to ditch in early March!

I've given my hands and feet every chance to be chilled, but nothing.

Steve, I didn't think most "simple" tissue-AVR surgery triggered the need for ACT, so why do you think you'll need it? I was told I only needed it (for 3 months) because I got a MV repair, NOT because of the AVR.

I've been on it for over 20 years and only lived 18 years prior to going on it.

I don't remember any difference in feeling cold. My wife is perfectly healthy, on no medication, and is always colder than me. I did notice colder hands and nose after going on lopressor after my most recent surgery in October of 2009. I do bruise easily. I agree with previous sentiments - dose the diet. I've never felt like I've had to keep a closer eye on what I eat vs. other people to any detriment. About the only real dietary issue I'm aware of is that one or two adult beverages is enough for me. I'm a cheap date.

Any other limitations I may have are just recommendations for healthy living. Don't put on weight and try to get regular exercize.

John -

Whoever told you that you needed to avoid eating Lettuce (or anything Green) when taking Coumadin / Warfarin is GROSSLY OUT OF DATE in their understanding of anticoagualation management.

Studies have PROVEN that it is easier to maintain a stable INR while consuming a *consistent* daily intake of Vitamin K. (I just eat a couple of servings of "Green Things" every day. NO measuring. NO problem).

'AL Capshaw'

yes, that was what was said, if I eat a salad, I need to do it consistently. I wasn't sure what 'consistently' meant, and since I was not going to be on it (blood thinner) long term, I decided to not complicate things.

yes, that was what was said, if I eat a salad, I need to do it consistently. I wasn't sure what 'consistently' meant, and since I was not going to be on it (blood thinner) long term, I decided to not complicate things.

Trying to avoid ingesting ANY vitamin K is more likely to result in an unstable INR that 'just eating something green every day IMO.

It's like Daylight and Dark, or being in a Dark Room and turning on a light (HUGE Difference)
versus being in a room with a 50 Watt light and changing it to a 100 Watt light (SMALL Difference).

'AL'

Al's right -- don't eliminate or avoid Vitamin K -- it provides many benefits. Eating roughly the same amount of foods that contain Vitamin K makes it fairly easy to regulate your INR.

As far as feeling colder - or other side effects - in the 19+ years I've been taking warfarin, I've never had that extra sensitivity to cold. In fact, aside from the natural propensity to being a bit more sensitive to bruising that results from a higher INR, I don't think I've noticed any adverse effects.

(I don't know why some people on warfarin may feel cold more than most others, but it is NOT about blood being 'thin' or 'thick.' Warfarin doesn't actually change the thickness of the blood -- it just modifies the bloods ability to clot. Having an increased INR simply means that it will take longer for the blood to clot than would a similar incision or wound. My guess is that feeling cold more extremely may be an anomalous reaction to warfarin or the result of some other medication).

I don't think I was "avoiding" vitamin k. Its just that I didn't want my INR bouncing around because I had a spinach salad on random days. In the early days, man o man was it bouncing around.

Latest posts

Back