Going off Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I was "avoiding" vitamin k. Its just that I didn't want my INR bouncing around because I had a spinach salad on random days. In the early days, man o man was it bouncing around.

"In the early days" following surgery, it is fairly common for INR to drop as activity and metabolism Increase thus requiring some adjustment as you heal and become more active.

My wife had to take it for a year for a DVT (resulting from a cath, no less). She claimed that it caused her hair to thin and her gums to recede. Anybody else have these?

I'm likely to have to deal with Coumadin/Warfarin for a few months after my pending aortic valve (tissue) replacement.

I've heard of a few people getting a dvt from a cath. I wonder if she's taking beta blockers, because that stuff's really hell on my hair and gums. I haven't noticed an increase in the loss since I started about 6 months ago, but my hair is so fargone now it's not easy to quantify new loss anymore.

FWIW, I am extremely anal about brushing and flossing now. I do not want to lose anymore gumline. They do NOT regenerate.

It was a little difficult at first to get used to the increased taste for cheese, but after nine years, it's no longer any problem.

lol.. what? What's this mean?

I did notice feeling a little colder at first. I'm not sure if it was the power of suggestion though. I do think it's possible that my skin is softer and thinner than it was. I get tiny little cuts really easily now, like a tomato's skin. They don't even hurt.. I notice them later. Other than that, maybe a couple bouts of priapism - but I've had it before without coumadin so it's hard to say what caused it.

Overall I felt a hell of a lot better after taking coumadin. I believe I may have been walking around with at least one clot in my lung prior to going in because I wasn't able to tolerate the symptoms anymore. When they put me on ACT I felt alot better in a way that's hard to describe. Most noticeable was the pain reduced significantly within a day or two. I don't mind coumadin much. It makes me feel safe. I think I'm going to have a difficult time coming off of it when/if the time comes because I just feel safer on it. Of course, I have Leiden Factor V, so it's kind of a good fit :).

Last edited:
I have been on it for 7 months now and I have noticed that my gums hurt and appear to be receding. My husband thinks I am crazy but I have never even had a cavity , I know this is not my normal.

Most of the time, Gum issues can be prevented with Proper Daily Flossing of the teeth/gums.

I'm always intrigued when I read stuff about the "many side effects of Coumadin".

Not challenging any of the stuff that's been mentoned, but I've been on Coumadin/Warfarin now for ten years with no side effects.

I really don't watch my vitamin K intake (Unless I want to use it as an excuse to not eat something I don't like otherwise).

Don't bruise easily, in spite of the fact that I'm very active physically. Never had a spontaneous bruise.

My INR has been remarkably stable in my 2.5 to 3.5 theraputic range on 5mg /day.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think I am proof that not everyone has side effects.

I'm sorry that some of you do, but I also think that implying that everyone experiences side effects is misleading.

Mark

Most of the time, Gum issues can be prevented with Proper Daily Flossing of the teeth/gums.

Perhaps Some,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but most?
There wouldn't be the thousands of periodontists if it was all that simple. Certainly not all gum disease is caused by coumadin but is some? This is an important issue IMO We all know there is a link to heart health and diseased gums.

There wouldn't be the thousands of periodontists if it was all that simple. Certainly not all gum disease is caused by coumadin but is some? This is an important issue IMO We all know there is a link to heart health and diseased gums.

Periodontal disease runs in my family, so I'm super sensitive about dental hygene. I brush and floss twice a day and have cleanings at the dentist every three months. I'm allergic to penicillin so I pre-medicate with clindamycin before every dentist visit.
My dentist is well aware of both my cardiac and family history and is always on the lookout for any indications of problems.
Again, it's been ten years and so far so good.

Mark

I've been on it five years and no side effects, I eat what I want and ride my ponies and run around after my kids. I do get some excellent bruises, sometimes with no idea how I got them, all it takes is for a chicken to peck my leg and I get an nice black spot under my skin. I use arnica cream to help move bruises on more quickly.

I've been stable on 3.5mg for ages and test monthly. It isn't that big a deal. If I was testing more often I might look into getting a machine for at home, but it takes less than half an hour on a Monday after work to get my INR checked and check in with my doctor before going home.

I have been on warfarin for over half my life.....43+ years. Maybe I've been on it so long that I do not remember not being on it, but I have had few, if any, "side effects" from the drug. I include a normal amount of vit K vegetables in my diet, by choice, along with beef, pork and potatoes....don't care for fish or chicken...unless deep fried. I was warned, years ago, to be careful to maintain good dental care. That was because of potential infection of the heart due to poor dental health. Since I began to have dental cleanings semi-annually, about twenty years ago, I have had no gum or unusual tooth problems.

Other than the inconvenience of testing, warfarin has had little effect on my life.

Last edited:

I asked a Periodontist I know about this issue.

He stated that "Most of the time, for Most People, Daily Brushing and Flossing (properly), would prevent Most cases of Periodontal Disease". He also mentioned that there is a wide range of 'sensitivity' to Bacteria in the mouth which means that some people can get by with less diligence while others cannot.

Jokingly, he added "Don't tell everyone" (It could cut into his business :)

'AL Capshaw'

Did you discuss with him if there is any connection between coumadin use and gum disease? That question was asked here and it interests me to know what a periodontist says about that.

Did you discuss with him if there is any connection between coumadin use and gum disease? That question was asked here and it interests me to know what a periodontist says about that.

Not directly, but he did say that Periodontal Disease was caused by Bacteria that collects along the gumline (and that some people are more prone to it while others are less prone to it). Personally, I don't see how Coumadin would be a factor but will try to remember to ask the next time I am in contact with him.

My fancy periodontist thinks most cases are at least partly auto-immune, from some of your own body's mechanisms attacking your gums, or roots. I'm sure Google etc. has an opinion or two on all the aforementioned subjects. . .

Back