Echo NOT good news --- 4th OHS Imminent

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally simple talk is usually the only way men understand.....just short of spelling it out.

No worries Norma, we'll go easy and keep it simple on him, LOL

In this day and age of anti-anxiety drugs that can be tuned from "dawn" to "twilight" and beyond, and from "this is interesting" to "I really don't care!" to "I don't know OR care!", I'm surprised that anxiety over closed MRIs is a serious problem. I can understand having nightmares BEFORE you get the drugs, but not during the actual procedure. What am I missing?

In this day and age of anti-anxiety drugs that can be tuned from "dawn" to "twilight" and beyond, and from "this is interesting" to "I really don't care!" to "I don't know OR care!", I'm surprised that anxiety over closed MRIs is a serious problem. I can understand having nightmares BEFORE you get the drugs, but not during the actual procedure. What am I missing?

I've never had any drugs for my MRIs and I know Justin doesn't for his cardiac ones. (well beside the dyes ect) I do better if I shut my eyes, then I don't see how close the tube is to my face

Easier said than done......

I've been reading past threads by some of our beloved, departed members, in the last few days, like Bonzo Dog's, and I wish I could just stop that!

I already know that my chances of surviving another OHS is probably less than 50/50, so why do I continue to torment myself?

And then one of my family members told me that "I'd better not come back from Houston without having the surgery"! If they only knew what I was going thru right now......something that only you and I can ever really understand, right? :frown2:

Norma, why in the world would you torture yourself by reading those threads? That is the last place in the world you need to be right now. Look at it this way, if you come back from Houston without having surgery, your odds of dying are 100%! And by the way, your odds of surviving a 4th heart surgery are much better than 50% according to what my surgeon told me. Promise me you'll stay away from that forum and stay positive. You are going to have this surgery and do well and be back here before you know it. We will all be her waiting on you!

Kimmie

Easier said than done......

I've been reading past threads by some of our beloved, departed members, in the last few days, like Bonzo Dog's, and I wish I could just stop that!

I already know that my chances of surviving another OHS is probably less than 50/50, so why do I continue to torment myself?

And then one of my family members told me that "I'd better not come back from Houston without having the surgery"! If they only knew what I was going thru right now......something that only you and I can ever really understand, right? :frown2:

I am so sorry you have to deal with this at all. I completely understand when you keep reading peoples journies that you know don't end well, but you can't stop from reading anyway. I have the same problem and get mad at myself when the worst case senarios and what ifs pop into my brain. I try to force myself to focus on all the MANY people I know who've had a ALOT of very complex surgeries and even if they have a rough time afterward,and long recoveries, are doing great now. I tell myself to focus on the fact that we are doing everything possible to have the best chance of a full recovery, going to the best hospitals , where the surgeons and staff do multiple REDOs daily if not a couple times a week. and I remind myself that Justin like YOU, have a very strong will to survive and are fighters that will do everything you need to do post op to give yourselves the best chances of a good recovery, walking, doing your breathing, eating even when you aren't hungery ect.
And of course I pray.
Would it help you emotionally if you were able to move things up closer so the wait isn't as long? Is that possible to move it up?

Norma, why in the world would you torture yourself by reading those threads? That is the last place in the world you need to be right now. Look at it this way, if you come back from Houston without having surgery, your odds of dying are 100%! And by the way, your odds of surviving a 4th heart surgery are much better than 50% according to what my surgeon told me. Promise me you'll stay away from that forum and stay positive. You are going to have this surgery and do well and be back here before you know it. We will all be her waiting on you!

Kimmie
I was wonderring about the 50% too, Norma did your surgeon tell you that or is it what you think are the odds? We were given much better odd for Justin's 4th and 5th surgeries and the surgeon even knew his heart was fused to his sternum so they would have to be really slow and careful opening his chest..I remember the relief I felt when I knew they were in and working on his heart. Kim gave great advice.

Norma, like Kim and Lyn have said, try not to dwell on the sad forum threads for now.
You need uplifting, not depression. Your first 2 surgeries were a very long time ago, so let's leave them alone and focus
on the current issue. January is around the corner and a good time for a fresh start. Please, please trust that your VR
fanclub will support you every second of the way. :)

Thank you again for the pep talk my friends!!! Don't know what I'd do without you!

I'm much calmer now, thanks to you all, and I promise to keep away from those threads and focus instead on a good outcome.

Lyn: I think I just picked those stats out of one of my nightmares or something! My doctors have never given me those numbers, other than the surgery will be very high risk. And we all know that any major surgery has high risks associated with it! That's a fact!

Thanks again! Love u all! :)

Thank you again for the pep talk my friends!!! Don't know what I'd do without you!

I'm much calmer now, thanks to you all, and I promise to keep away from those threads and focus instead on a good outcome.

Lyn: I think I just picked those stats out of one of my nightmares or something! My doctors have never given me those numbers, other than the surgery will be very high risk. And we all know that any major surgery has high risks associated with it! That's a fact!

Thanks again! Love u all! :)

Well then lets just decide they are much better. I know for a fact the stats for multiple REDOs have improved GREATLY over the past 20 years ..especially since more of the very complex CHDs that used to have no hope, were able to do great after their 3 stage surgeries. The doctors (and ICUs) have had so much more experience w/ patients having their 3rd and 4th surgeries and the learned the risks that can go along with it and the best way to take care of that, from opening chests with lots of scar tissue to treating pericardial and plueral effusions which 20 years ago took MONTHS in and out of the hospital (Justin was in and out for 6 months after his 2nd surgery where they pretty much rebuilt his heart, having fluid tapped off a couple times a week) to now with meds for the most part things clear up in a week or so at home. Everything they learned has helped everyone needing heart surgeries and made the stats so much better, which is one of the reasons they give tissue valves to younger patients because not only are the valves lasting longer, but more importantly the success rate for REDOs has really improved.

I am also coming in this thread late. Oh Norma, I am so sorry to hear this....but I just know everything will go well! You have been such a rock for me over the last several months since my own surgery and trying to get my INR stable! I am praying for you!

Mileena

Dear Norma, I am so sorry to see what you are going through. Please know that you are on the top of my prayer list from now until this terrible time is behind you. You are a lovely and wonderful woman and I believe January will be the start of a new healthier life for you. ((( HUGS )))) x

Norma. You are a warrior. Time to polish up that armor and sharpen up your weapons. You can do this. You will do this. Head up. Shoulder's back. There you go.

And after you glare at yourself in the mirror with the satisfaction that all your strength is now in place, please add my name to the list of your biggest fans and well-wishers and close your eyes and feel the huge cyber-hug coming your way.

Best wishes. I'll be watching for all updates.

Marguerite

Thanks again to all you lovely people! My heart if full of love for all of you too!

And when the day rolls around, and the gurney comes to pick me up, it will be your words and thoughts that will help me face my destiny with dignity and hope!

Norma. You are a warrior. Time to polish up that armor and sharpen up your weapons. You can do this. You will do this. Head up. Shoulder's back. There you go.

Marguerite

Good grief, Norma. :eek2:When this is over, and you return to VR all brand spanking new and fixed up, you'll kick a__! :biggrin2:I pity the fool that gets in your way.:thumbup:

Latest posts

Back