Cort (knightfan2691) avr tomorrow, Nov. 8

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffey

Me and Granbon
Supporting Member
Cort, I hate that we have to start a pre-surgery thread for you, but I guess we gotta.:frown2:
I will post updates here, or anyone else who reads them on FB and wants to put them on, is more than welcome to get 'er done.
God bless you and keep you safe on your journey up that mountain.
Here's Cort's post from this morning:

I am out-of-the-loop w/many of you, & I apologize.
Facebook shows MANY November birthdays I'll miss due to my Open Heart Surgery (OHS); so an EARLY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to those w/NOV birthdays...
...& I haven't replied to a number of Emails. I hope to respond once I'm home recovering & feeling up to checking Email, Facebook & the groups/message boards.

In the meantime, my 4th OHS is TUE, 11/08/2011, at Chicago's Northwestern Memorial Hospital, performed by Dr. Russell. The catheterization is Monday. My sister will post UPDATES (which MAY be shared). I appreciate ALL well wishes, thoughts & prayers. LIFE IS TOO SHORT.

My previous 3 OHSs (at Chicago's Children's Memorial Hospital) replaced the pulmonary valve that I was born without. The 1st, NOV 1977, was when the original pig valve was installed. The 2nd & 3rd OHSs (MAR 1987 & 01/06/2003, respectively) replaced the pig valve installed in the previous surgery. This 4th OHS is to replace my aorta/aortic valve with a cow valve. My ascending aorta is "too large"; it is 5.6 at the middle, 5.3 at the root. Too bad my "big heart" has finally won me a date with a surgeon, instead of a cool female....

If all goes well, the "projected" return of my driving abilities is mid December & return to work is January 6, 2012 (the 9-year anniversary of my 3rd OHS).

I'm "ready". I'm not scared, just dreading/"hating" the process, including financially ... & still feeling alone & out-of-place. My MCs are ready for winter, though I never did get them (or my 1979 Caprice Classic) cleaned....

On a positive note, the PRE-SURGERY PARTY [pictures POSTED on Facebook] was great; many thanks to those that joined us that evening!!!

My "recovery projects" include...

...plan my 2012 ROAD TRIP (return to GA/FL, along the east coast & into northern MI) & perhaps a short trip to St Louis along parts of Route 66.... Previous road trips (& other) pictures:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/roadtrips/roadtrips.html
http://picasaweb.google.com/knightfan26917

...consider WRMN's request to host part of their CHRISTMAS EVE RADIO BROADCAST. My contact there called me a couple weeks ago to find out if I would.... Previous radio show playlists:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/radioshows.html

...finish putting my room back together (after new carpeting & major re-arranging)

...read some new books

...Nephew Time

...misc stuff

...return to the groups/boards....

Last edited:
Cort,

Thinking of you!

And how old were you for your first surgery? (sorry, can’t help the curiosity… I have a friend who’s son was born without a pulmonary valve and would like to know some details).

Continuing to send my best thoughts and say my prayers for Cort, our good friend. Will continue to do so through his recovery, which hopefully will be as smooth as possible. We are all there for you in spirit, good buddy. Godspeed.

Cort, You know you are in my prayers. You are in good hands in so many ways.

Don't forget - you have my phone number if you just want to talk.

I'll be waiting for your return.

I have been + will be thinking of you Bro. Hope you have a better time with your chest tubes than I did! Mine sucked in more ways than one. It did help me knowing a lot of what I'd be going through. I hope this is true for you as well. It isn't fun, but it does offer a future! I know there is a huge crowd of us rooting for you, + looking forward to your return. See you on the other side of the mountain. Your valve bro, Brian

God bless Cort! May you have a speedy recovery! My lord I had no idea this is the fourth! I will be thinking of you.

Cort,
I've been away from the forum for awhile and just saw this. Wishing you the best my fellow valve and car-buddy. May the recovery road be bump free.
Best
John

Oh, man... so they've got you "idling" for a few days, huh? Frustrating!
Well listen... you just put her in gear when the time comes, let that clutch out nice and slow, lay on that gas pedal just right..... feel the cool breeze coming in the open window and set your sights for a smooth ride. You're gonna get there just fine. We're all here cheering you on!! Godspeed, Cort.

Best wishes.
Marguerite

VR certainly gets its share of postponements, doesn't it? Sorry, Cort. We know you just probly want it over, like NOW. We are standing by waiting for word from Mary. Blessins, my dear Cort...........

Latest posts

Back