4th procedure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail in Ca

I saw the surgeon on Tuesday.
I didn’t need any of the questions I had planned to ask him. He had looked at my TEE, and said if he was me he would go with the TMVR. He’s done thousands of surgeries and felt my case was very high risk for problems like stroke. Also, going through the ribs doesn’t avoid all the scar tissue I have from previous surgeries. He would still have to go through it.
So, even though the TMVR is off label for me, it’s what he said I should do, and hopefully get 10 years from the new mitral valve. I asked why the bovine mitral only averages 5-7 years when aortic gets up to 20. He said the aortic bovine rarely lasts that long.

Good luck. Similar story. Was about to have 4th open surgery when surgeon changed his mind and pivoted to Mitral clips. Two days later had them placed at Cedars. So far 8 yrs later all good. Also procedure from my perspective was a piece of cake. Infinitely easier than open heart.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Gail!

and hopefully get 10 years from the new mitral valve. I asked why the bovine mitral only averages 5-7 years when aortic gets up to 20. He said the aortic bovine rarely lasts that long.
Hate to say it, but the numbers might even be consistent. It may depend on how one views/quotes the data. For example, one could hope to live "up to 100", in reality only about 2% of the population gets that old. A typical lifespan is much shorter. Sounds like your current surgeon is a realist.

All the best with the procedure!

Thanks for the responses all!
Yes, I’m 24 miles from Cedars Sinai and that’s where the interventional cardiologist does his work as well as the surgeon I’ve seen. The NP said that cardiologist is terrific. He’s very particular about pre screening patients, making sure they qualify for his procedures.
I’ll be reaching out to his nurse to schedule the CT he wants which lets him know if this is a yay for me (vs nay).
I’ve been reading about this off label TMVR so I’m not totally clueless when I talk to the cardiologist again.
I would like to wait until my last concert, on June 30, before the procedure.
The surgeon was really on board with the TMVR when I said I was still playing my clarinet and performing many concerts.
I guess that told him I wasn’t in super bad shape, yet.

Last edited:
I saw the surgeon on Tuesday.
I didn’t need any of the questions I had planned to ask him. He had looked at my TEE, and said if he was me he would go with the TMVR. He’s done thousands of surgeries and felt my case was very high risk for problems like stroke. Also, going through the ribs doesn’t avoid all the scar tissue I have from previous surgeries. He would still have to go through it.
So, even though the TMVR is off label for me, it’s what he said I should do, and hopefully get 10 years from the new mitral valve. I asked why the bovine mitral only averages 5-7 years when aortic gets up to 20. He said the aortic bovine rarely lasts that long.
Prayers! Godspeed your recovery!

Latest posts

Back