Cort (knightfan2691) avr tomorrow, Nov. 8

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear everything is progressing and all good so far. I know we will all be glad when it is over and he is on his way to recovering.

Thanks Mary for keeping us updated.

Kim

Thanks Mary for the updates! I was wondering all day how
Cort was doing. I'm still keeping him in my prayers.

Here it is . . . Good Word!

7th update (last): The surgeon just left us. He sat with us for a good 30 minutes talking to us about the surgery. Cort should be moved to ICU within the hour.

The did not have to do anything with the aortic arch. the aneurism narrowed before the arch. the doctor used a maize (spelling?) to prevent future arrhythmia problems. his echo after the surgery looked good, and so do all of his numbers. They did not have to touch his pig's valve - everything looked good there. HIs lung function is also doing well, although there was a lot of scarring that adhered to the heart. The doctor used a cover over the conduit to make future heart surgeries a little easier to get in.

he was in surgery for approximately 8 hours. he was on the heart/lung bypass for about 3 hours. the procedure of placing the valve and the artery took about 2 hours and 20 minutes. it was a very large aneurism. the artery now is, and will always be, at 3.6cm.

They are going to wait until morning to wake him - they want him to be still through the night. around 4:30 tomorrow morning they will start to take him off the sedatives and they will try to get him off the ventilator as soon as possible. Eric and I will try to be back here at the hospital around 7:00 so that once he is awake he will see a familiar face (even if he won't remember). Mom and Dad will try to get here by around 10. They probably won't move him to a regular floor until Sunday or Monday.

When this valve does need to be replaced, technology now allows them to replace it through a catheter. Apparently the valve being replaced can stay in place as the new one takes over.

Thank you all for your prayers during this long day.

I will update again tomorrow afternoon.
— with Cort Stevens.

Amen! So happy all is well! Did McCarthy do the surgery? Whomever it was. Amazing job! Obviously more on the detail! Just amazes me how many advances there are.

Now on to the healing Cort! Over that mountain you went. Only the best to come.

It's on, Ann. I received a Facebook message from Cort as he was departing for the hospital. Should be in surgery right now (unless there was some last-minute glitch at the hospital). Praying hard for this very special friend of us all!

thanks for letting me know, Bob. I appreciate it.

Bless his heart, he has been through a long and rough time of it. He is in my prayers and we will all be anxious about him until he is up and around. Soldier on, Cort. our love and caring is streaming to you. Blessins....

Mary, thank-you ever so much for taking the time to post the up-dates on our dear friend Cort.

Special vibes that everything goes smoothly for Cort during the night throughout the coming days.

Here it is . . . Good Word!

7th update (last): The surgeon just left us. He sat with us for a good 30 minutes talking to us about the surgery. Cort should be moved to ICU within the hour.

he was in surgery for approximately 8 hours. he was on the heart/lung bypass for about 3 hours. the procedure of placing the valve and the artery took about 2 hours and 20 minutes. it was a very large aneurism. the artery now is, and will always be, at 3.6cm.

Thank you all for your prayers during this long day.

Praise the Lord, I really believe that the surgeons are truly blessed and watched over while they do their stuff. I am so relieved that Cort is doing well. I thought about him all day today and said many prayers. Thank you Mary for keeping us up to date.

Oh, thank God! I'm so glad and relieved to read this update!

May he continue to do well. He is such a trooper!

Thanks, Mary for keeping us updated on his progress! You're a very special lady too! :)

This is good to read, I'm still new here and still learning the names of those who contributed to my recent experience.
Cort has been thru a lot and his attitude to me is outstanding and positive. What this man has went thru compared to my recent operation, made me feel
I could certainly learn from him.
Prayers sent your way Cort

Brad

just checkin in. Mary, sometimes we get a godsent member who keeps up with all of us. what a blessin you are. I think Bonnie is up there saying thanks for filling a spot that was hers. Thank you for keeping us so well informed and sending the dogs out to find us.

just checkin in. Mary, sometimes we get a godsent member who keeps up with all of us. what a blessin you are. I think Bonnie is up there saying thanks for filling a spot that was hers. Thank you for keeping us so well informed and sending the dogs out to find us.

Amen! Thank you Mary for all you do. So glad that Cort has come through well and praying for a good recovery now.

No updates yet this morning, but as we all read, they were going to the hospital early today, so maybe we will get one soon. I will feel much more comfortable after another 48 hours and Cort's transfer to the floor.
On another note, and hopefully Cort will be reading this himself sometime in the next week, I say we absolutely, positively have to plan a get together. We're all blessed to have the extra years our replacements/repairs/bypasses have given us, and our friends, here on the forum. Let's take advantage of it while we can. Cort,and anyone else who can make it, start planning for an early spring visit to southern Illinois. Maybe Atlanta in mid-June for our southern members?

Latest update:

Russell was just here. He confirmed again that everything is going really well and reassured Cort that his heart tolerated the surgery well. They are going to change the catheter in his neck to a smaller line, and then Cort is to rest for the rest of the day. He is already using the little breathing thing (I have NO idea what they are called) to work on expanding is lungs, but Dr. said that his lungs already are looking good. They will watch his kidney function closely and will be a little slower than normal getting fluids off him because of his kidneys. He is taking ice chips already. — with Cort Stevens.:

Latest posts

Back