Can anyone relate?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARGreenMN

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
As a guy who's rarely been on anything other than over-the-counter stuff for headaches or sniffles, this is just crazy! See pic below for the meds I've been on since surgery (off many of them now). For those in the waiting room, I'd recommend getting a pill box (in background) and a pill splitter (also in background). I had no idea this many pills were gonna be involved, lol. Not complaining, just sayin'...

Granted, some of these are due to some roadbumps I've run into which others may not get, but since roadbumps aren't all that rare, my number of bottles might not be all that abnormal. Can anyone beat this - 14 bottles, lol???

Left to right (and stack by "stack" - some "stacks" just with one bottle):

Stack 1: 3 sizes of Warfarin (2mg, 3mg and 5mg)
Stack 2: Amiodarone (for irregular beats and afib I had 2 wks after surgery)
Stack 3: 2 sizes of Metropolol (to keep HR down during recovery)
Stack 4: Vicodin and Oxycodone (both for pain)
Stack 5: Valium and Lorazepam (for anxiety / muscle relaxation)
Stack 6: Potassium horse-pills (also to help w/ irregular beats)
Stack 7: Cephalexin (to prevent infection while my disolvable stitch that isn't disolving properly disolves)
Stack 8: Generic Tylenol (the huge bottle) and Baby Aspirin

Attachments

• My Meds..jpg
    My Meds..jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 87
Yup, the pill thing was a shocker for me too since I have never needed daily meds.
Hubby zipped out and bought me 2 pill boxes even though many pills were dropped a couple of weeks later.
(pain pills, poo pills, etc. were dropped)

Mere childs play. Here's my list as of this moment:

Advair Diskus(fluticasone-salmeterol), 250 mcg-50 mcg, powder
Albuterol MDI(Albuterol MDI), 17 gm, aerosol with adapter
Aldactone(spironolactone), 25 mg,
Allegra(fexofenadine), 180 mg, tablet
Allopurinol(allopurinol), 100 mg, tablet
Aspirin(aspirin), 81 mg,
Atenolol(atenolol), 50 mg, tablet
Colchicine(colchicine), 0.6 mg, tablet
Diazepam(diazepam), 5 mg, tablet
Diovan HCT(hydrochlorothiazide-valsartan), 12.5 mg-80 mg, tablet
Fenofibrate(fenofibrate), 160 mg, tablet
Flonase(fluticasone nasal), 0.05 mg/inh, spray
Folic Acid(folic acid), 1 mg, tablet
Lasix(furosemide), 40 mg, tablet
Micro-K 10(potassium chloride), 10 mEq, capsule, extended release
Neurontin(gabapentin), 100 mg, capsule
Neurontin(gabapentin), 300 mg, capsule
Omeprazole(omeprazole), 20 mg, delayed release capsule
Warfarin Sodium(warfarin), 5 mg, tablet
Warfarin Sodium(warfarin), 1 mg, tablet
Zaroxolyn(metolazone), 2.5 mg, tablet
Oxygen 5 LPM during the day. 6 LPM at night.
BiPAP 11 EPAP 20 IPAP

Joe was on a list of pills which was somewhere between yours and Ross's. And he also had injections 3 times per week which I had to give him. It's a bear to keep track of, and makes very large pill boxes with AM and PM sections mandatory. The pill splitter ia also mandatory.

Yikes - for someone like me that has never taken any perscription meds ongoing - this looks intimidating, to say the least! WOW Things you don't think about as you enter the world of valve replacement! I am glad to have all the information posted here so I can learn and not be so stunned when it all happens.

Thanks. Pat

Pat

Pat, just get a pill box and you'll be fine. I don't know how I'd get by without mine right now! Even though it makes me feel really old that I need one :( Ross, I bow to you - you've got me beat by quite a bit ;)

Before the AVR, I took blood pressure medication (Lisinopril) and an aspirin. The day I left the hospital, I was given a prescription for Metoprolol (a beta-blocker). At 8 months my Cardio let me stop taking the beta-blocker so I'm back to where I was with respect to daily medications. So there is a lot of variation. For at least the next few weeks, however, I am also taking three times a day 1.5 grams of antibiotic for a bacterial infection and 600 mg of Ibuprofen for inflammation of the cartilage connecting my sternum to my ribs (Costochondritis).

One way to look at it is that surgery shoved our bodies out of balance and in recovery we have to find a new equilibrium and that takes awhile.

Larry

I sure can relate to this one, Andy! I was on NO meds before surgery and then came home with a list of 10 +meds post-op (including 2 different types of inhalers). I actually developed a pill aversion in the hospital by day 6 (as I was severely nauseated and couldn't stomach anything (pardon the pun). I ended up prioritizing which pills I deemed were absolutely necessary when the nurse brought them at the 2- 4 hours...pretty funny when I think of it now. I would ask the nurse which pill the blue one was etc. and would actually line them up and then 'chase' down the ones that I deemed were the most impt. Then after 1/2 hour of 'self talk' to take the rest, I would get another chaser of water or juice to 'down' them.

I definitely would recommend a pill box for everyone prior to going into surgery. Luckily (and I know that I am) the good news is 7 months out I am pretty well off of everything except taking a beta blocker when the heart goes a little wonky.

Andy,

LOL, rather simple, that OHS has made you into a meds junkie. Once you are done with your rehab, you will have to join meds anonymous (Grin).

My meds diet is rather simple 2 x 25 Metropolol and 1 5mg Coumadin, that's it and that is too much for me.

Don't forget that Dr. House got hooked on the Vicoden

u be good now and good luck with that

Haha Gil, all very true. Luckily I didn't like Vicoden as much as Dr. House - didn't like the feeling it gave me. Also luckily, most of those meds in my picture are in my past now (I hope). As of right now, only on a few of them. But just struck me as funny that I had so many pill bottles piling up - plus I was bored and just wanted to post something lol.

Meds

Meds

Sounds like you've got some good stuff...vicodin & valium.

Hopefully, your list of meds will grow smaller as you recover and rehab. While I realize this isn't the norm for everyone, but I'm down to coumadin, diovan (bp med) and 81 mg asprin.

-Philip

Oh man, do I ever relate! I told myself years ago I would never be a pill popper, but here I am, seven different kinds a day. A couple of mine are for diabetes, so it's not strictly post heart-surgery stuff, but though there are adjustments from time to time I think I am on most of these for the duration. Even one to help me sleep. It works so I no longer gripe about it. Yes, indeed, better living through chemistry. :p I do indeed relate and sympathize.

Plus, I should add, we have my wife's meds, which are even more numerous than mine. Sometimes feel like I am coordinating a pharmacy around here. Gets complicated remembering all the refills and renewals.

While we have impressive drug lists, some people take only asprin. Wish I were one of them.

I sometimes wish I only took aspirin!!! I am taking 10 pills a day and that is enough for me!! I agree that a pill container is a requirement. If I didn't have that, I would probably forget what I have taken and what I still have to take!!!!

6 in the morning
3 at lunch
4 at dinner
1 at bedtime.
1 for migraines as needed
plus tylenol as needed

Ross still has me beat.

It was the same for me also, I never took anything, even for headaches or colds. I am lucky now I am down to just two Metoprolol a day.
:)

Back