5-time heart surgery survivor, with an amazing story to share with you all...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navin323i

Hello Everyone,

It's with great honor and respect that I make my first post here. Up until now I had never thought about seeking out web forums dedicated to folks like me with prosthetic heart valve, so when I discovered this forum I was extremely thrilled. :)

My story is quite unusual, especially how I've used my cardiology background and heart surgery experiences to serve the community so here goes...

In 1973 I was born with a congenital heart condition... one known as "Shone's Syndrome" which is characterized by multiple left heart abnormalities. Prognosis for longtime survival for folks like me historically hasn't been too good, but I was fortunate to be operated on by some good surgeons including Denton Cooley at Texas Childrens Hospital. He performed my first two surgeries, open heart surgery #3 was performed in Denver to repair coarctation of the aorta, #4 was performed June 30, 1993 to replace my aortic valve with a St. Judes Aortic Valve, and #5 was performed 9 days after the 9/11 attacks in 2001 to replace both my aortic valve and ascending aorta with a St. Judes Composite Graft due to an aortic aneurysm. In removing the old mechanical aortic valve, swelling developed around the AV node so I ended up with complete heart block and now have a dual chamber St. Jude's pacemaker (I should be the spokesman for St. Judes given all their products inside me, lol) inside me, however my own intrinsic heart rate eventually returned so now I have exercise induced 2 to 1 heart block, but again only when exercising, so the pacemaker takes care of that heart block so that I can exercise normally without issues. :)

June 30, 1993 when I had surgery #4 was always an unusual day for me in the years to follow... I considered it both a good and not so good day... good because the surgery prolonged my life, but not good due to the bad experiences I had waking up after the surgery and dealing with the heart lung machine and breathing tube (not being able to talk), fluid in the lungs, and the INTENSE pain when they removed the chest drainage tubes from me (pain as great as childbirth, according to what female patients who had the same surgery told me). Ironically, June 30 eventually wound up being my favorite day of all time... in my ancestral culture (India), we determine our wedding days based on the constellation of stars that the bride and groom were born under and compare that to the constellation of stars on various days to determine the ideal wedding date. Sure enough, of all days, June 30 wound up being the most auspicious day for my wife and I to have our wedding in 2002... exactly 9 years after my surgery #4 (ironically 9 happens to be my favorite number). :)

Surgery #5 was significant because I was engaged to the woman of my dreams and doctors told me that they didn't think I'd survive my surgery due to the fact that this was open heart surgery #5 and that scar tissue from previous surgeries made my anatomy "unpredictable", so sawing open my chest bone could possibly nick my heart which was pushed over from where it's supposed to be due to scar tissue.
But with a lot of love and prayer, I lived to see the day I married the woman of my dreams and lived to see the days I held both my 2 baby girls when they were born in the hospital. God kept me alive so that I could continue to serve my wife and serve my 2 daughters. :)

To show my appreciation for being alive, I serve the community by educating the public about congenital heart disease and I do so in a unique way. One of my passions in life is customizing cars, and I have modified my vehicle which is both a show car and daily driver with the same material that my mechanical valve is made from... carbon fiber. In doing this I've created a car that tells my "heart story" and inspires the general public who see my car at the car shows to live a heart healthy life. My work has not gone unnoticed. My car and I have been featured in major car magazines, newspaper, and MTV interviewed me at a car show in Chicago a couple of years ago.

The main thing I tell people at car shows as well as people I meet at doctor offices, etc. is that as heart patients (or as any type of patient) it's very important that we take an active approach in understanding our medical conditions and the medications that we may be taking. The first question I'm asked by doctors and nurses is whether I'm a doctor, because of the active interest I've had in studying cardiology and the specific condition that I was born with

Below are the links to a couple of my features and I'm attaching a few pics too... I look forward to getting to know you all.

Washington Examiner Newspaper Feature
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/l...close-to-this-customizers-heart-42690682.html

Eurotuner Magazine Feature
http://www.eurotuner.com/featuredvehicles/eurp_0811_2000_bmw_323i/index.html

Navin-cfTag2.jpg

10yrA9-2010.jpg

Thanks for looking! :thumbup:

Navin

Wow at 38 you have been through a lot and I look forward to your posts WELCOME TO OUR OHS FAMILY we are all brothers and sisters in OHS so welcome Brother

Thanks for the nice welcome, Greg! Technically I'm still 37 now, but I'll be 38 at the end of the year, lol.

I can definitely tell that it's like one big family here... I look forward to serving my brothers and sisters here and if I can help answer any questions I'll definitely do my very best! :)

Welcome!

Welcome!

Welcome to this fantastic forum, Navan. Thank you for sharing your story. You are a true inspiration and so glad you found us. Look forward to your contributions.
P.S. What a beautiful picture of you and your daughters. :)

Last edited:
Hi, Its so nice to read about your journey. My 22 year old son has also had 5 heart surgeries, so I can imagine some of what you and your family went thru. BTW you have a beautiful Family. Your little ones eyes are gorgeous..
I don't know if you've found them, but there is a great forum at the Adults w/ CHD site that you might enjoy getting to know the members since many/most of them know what it is like growing up having multiple heart surgeries. http://www.achaheart.org/

.....and the INTENSE pain when they removed the chest drainage tubes from me Navin

Hi Navin and welcome. I LOL'd over the above comment. I still remember that as tho it was yesterday. The first tube wasn't too bad 'cause I didn't know what was coming.....but then they removed the second tube:eek2::mad2::thumbd:. They don't talk about tube removal much on here, so maybe they now have a better way to get the tubes out.....:redface2:

Glad you found this forum. There are several on here that have gone thru multiple surgeries. Stick around, your history and comment will be worth a lot to the newbies who are very afraid facing this surgery.

Welcome, Navin. Happy you found us.

What an amazing 'heart story' you have. It is wonderful of you to share it.

Your daughters are beautiful...... :) You are blessed.

Navin,
SWEET Car and beautiful kids! Thanks for sharing your story. We look forward to your contributions to the site.
John

Hi Navin,
You have alot to live for.....Repaired heart, gorgeous daughters, and a very cool car.
Life is good. :)
(my chest tube pulling was a piece of cake compared to birthing my daughter) ;)

Hello Navin and I am so happy to welcome you to this forum. You look wonderful....could never tell by looking at you that you have been through so much in your young life! Your daughters are beautiful!

I too had my first 2 surgeries in 1975, by Dr. Cooley. As a matter of fact, I just saw him in Houston a few weeks ago. I went there because I thought they were going to do OHS #4, but the surgeons decided it was much too dangerous to attempt due to the scar tissue from the last 3 surgeries. They surmised that the quality of my life is still good and that surgery would have to wait for now.

It is through experiences and stories such as yours, that others gain strength and hope that they too will go on to have wonderful lives after OHS!

Stay well!

Welcome, Navin -- It is nice to meet you. Also it is fun to have another "gear-head" around here. Many years ago I used to manage the World of Wheels custom auto show in Chicago. The funny thing here is that the guy who was my co-chair had some mitral valve work done a few years ago, and I'm scheduled for aortic valve replacement on March 1. Do the cars do this to us?

Welcome to our community Navin! Your story is truly inspirational. You have a lovely family! Hope you can help our members with your experience.

Latest posts

Back