3 weeks post-op=severe shoulder pain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enudely

Anyone else experience severe shoulder pain after surgery? It is so bad that typing it hurting right now. It radiates down my back, all the way down to my elbow and centers on the outside of my shoulder. Any suggestions?

sounds just like me! believe it or not, for me that was the worst part of my surgery. they kept telling me there is nothing to do about it. and i couldn't get my husband to massage it long enough! it was the only thing that helped. the paid meds barely helped it!

muscle pain is something many people complain about, and are surprised the actual incision doesn't hurt as bad as they thought it would. Beside massages, even family member rubbing it a couple times a day, having a warm shower, expecially if you have one of the shower heads with different settings can help too. One other thing is try to make sure you have good posture, sometime people slump over slightly after OHS and that can make the muscle pain in your back and shoulders even worse

Lyn is right on the money. Having good posture and slumping. When walking and sitting, try to relax the shoulders by gently pushing down and back and make sure your neck is straight. You may be surprised on how far shoulders have come forward during your recovery.
Think of a military Sargent, 'head up, shoulders back, chest out, now march' - but just walk.

Doing this and having a good/gentle massage and hot showers will make a big difference.

Back Pain

Back Pain

As others have noted, back pain issues are fairly common after AVR surgery. Having one's chest split and opened tends to put significant stress on ribs as well as the points where ribs are attached to the spine. Basically, these parts are stretched and flexed in directions they really aren't supposed to move in.

I have an area under my left shoulder blade that hurt like heck in the months after surgery. While many members here agree that massage is a good way to address back pain issues after surgery, opinions vary concerning what kind of massage worked the best. I got relief by working with a therapist who was extremely good at deep tissue. She would really get after it. Some members recommend staying away from deep tissue because they fear it will result in excessive tissue bruising.

Even though my surgery was back in March of 2007, that problem area under my left shoulder blade still tends to flare up from time to time. I have my wife work the area over with her elbow and it helps.

-Philip

Ughhhhh!! Glad to see this post!
I thought I was losing my mind dealing with the same issue, and I'm 4 months post-op.

I still have severe muscle pain on my left shoulder, and traveling down my arm. I also get these roaming muscle cramps from time to time. Sometimes the back of my neck, and other times on my right shoulder/arm.

Hopefully my re-hab workouts, and time will take care of this uncomfortable condition.

Rob

Ughhhhh!! Glad to see this post!
I thought I was losing my mind dealing with the same issue, and I'm 4 months post-op.

I still have severe muscle pain on my left shoulder, and traveling down my arm. I also get these roaming muscle cramps from time to time. Sometimes the back of my neck, and other times on my right shoulder/arm.

Hopefully my re-hab workouts, and time will take care of this uncomfortable condition.

Rob

Have you mentioned it to your rehab person? Maybe they can offer suggestions or excercises for that area. Also something that helped Justin, was one of those moist heat type of heating pad. We have one of the pillow type things filled with buckwheat and some herbs that smell good that you can get wet and put in the microwave (or freezer for a cold pack) and that helped better than the electric ones. The only problem is some areas are hard to keep the pad on, unless you are laying down. but it stayed on the top pf his shoulder sitting up. He had quite a bit of muscle pain after they moved hiis right pect muscle and the warm shower (with the shower massager head) and moist heat packs even helped alot with that.

YES, MASSAGE is Faster and Better than any Pain Medication for Shoulder / Muscle Pain.

I have a "Vibrating Disk Massager" (2.5 inch diameter disk) that Works Wonders on sore muscles, especially the long back muscle that goes from shoulder to waist. A couple of minutes back and forth along this muscle and it loosens right up.

Stretches help to Prevent those muscles from tightening up but never seem get to the point where they relieve the pain once it starts.

Many Gyms / Cardiac Rehab facilities have what I call Arm-Cycles, sort of like a Schwinn Airdyne pedal cycle for the arms that help to loosen up those shoulder / upper arm / back muscles. If your insurance will cover Cardiac Rehabilitation, I highly recommend it. Most Doctors will prescribe Cardiac Rehab after about 6 weeks post-op.

'AL Capshaw'

Pain after OHS - Oh yea, I got it!

Pain after OHS - Oh yea, I got it!

Happy New Year all:

I came across this posting after crying myself to sleep last night. I am exactly one month post-op and my right shoulder and neck hurt so bad last night it kept me up until 3am and kicked me out of bed right at 7. Yesterday was just a bad bad BAD pain day.

Right now, all I can do is heat and ice, and ride the stationary bike a few times a day and wait for my surgeon to clear me for chiropractic care, massage therapy and cardiac rehab. Massage seems to have helped a lot of people out here, but if you are interested, I will share my research and opinions with you.

More than a few professionals have debated that deep tissue massage can cause micro-tears in muscle tissue and can release high levels of lactic acid into the blood stream. High levels of lactic acid are the last thing a cardiac patient needs floating around in the blood stream. Some of us have debated different MD's methods of recovery but almost all doctors agree that Lactic Acid is a huge problem for us because of how it affects our internal organs and body systems.

Light isometric exercise can be very helpful to stretch and relive muscle tension, but only after the initial heeling period to reduce stress on the sternum. This needs to be done with strict supervision to avoid injury. After an extended period of inactivity during recovery, muscles will start to atrophy and start pouring out lactic acid from the most basic movements. That’s why walking and movment is imparative to the heeling process and transitioning into exercise must be done slowly and carefully.

I have been doing trigger point massage to release pain from a few back injuries over the last couple years and it has helped me immeasurably! I also go to a chiropractor who does not do the traditional “jerking and cracking” but more nuro-muscular manipulation, a regiment of targeted stretching and release of tension form specific problem areas.

Now that I am a month post-op, I will be seeking clearance from my surgeon to do cardiac rehab, resume trigger pointing and chiropractic care. My problem is that many surgeons hear the word chiropractor and trigger pointing and immediately roll their eyes and think I am some kind of new age beatnik. Part of the problem is that traditional methods that many chiropractors do involve a lot of, in my opinion, very violent movement and manipulation. All chiropractors seem to get measured with the same yard stick by MD's

There is a lot of debate on the issue of what type of massage or chiropractic care is good or not, but one thing is VITAL to the success of any massage therapy or exersize regimen, heart patient or not. You need to take on LOTS and LOTS of water after any physical activity or massage to flush the lactic acid and other junk out of your muscles and blood stream. You must stay very hydrated when doing any course of treatment involving manipulation of muscle tissue.

On a more personal note, I am often bitterly disappointed at how un-accepting many MD’s are regarding alternative treatments like chiropractors, massage therapy and even acupuncture. This stuff has been around for hundreds and thousands of years, a lot longer than western medicine which often times involves using drugs that cause as much or more damage than good. I don’t quite have a bead on what my surgeon thinks about "alternative medicine" as I am well aware that I need to stick to his program 100%for now. I am hoping that he will be open minded about some treatments that have shown themselves to be beneficial for hundreds of years and have worked very wll for me and my family. Simply surviving open heart surgery is important, but it is becoming abundantly clear that most doctors and surgeons are interested more in quantity of live vs. quality of life. I refuse to settle for just being alive; I think I should expect to feel good too (within reason considering the unavoidable damage OHS does to the muscular-skeletal structures). As stewards of our bodies, we should demand as much from ourselvs as we do of our health care professionals by practicing due diligence and taking control of our own recoveries. Doctors should help us get better, they can't do it all for us.

Sorry, I’m on the soap box again! LOL!! Thanks for letting me vent a bit after a very tough night.

I also had post AVR shoulder pain but it was my left shoulder and it didn't occur until I was 6 months post op. My doctor sent me to physical therapy who suggested exercises with rubber tubing and streching. It help only slightly. I had deep tissue massage therapy after giving up on physical therapy and it made the shoulder pain alot better.

While it still exists slightly, I've noticed once I received permission from my plastic surgeon to resume lifting weights (after my surgery in Nov. for sternal infection) thats helped as well.

My wife gave me the gift of a few mores sessions of massage therapy for Xmas and look forward to the shoulder pain going away.

Very Interesting Research on Massage Therapy Jake.
Thanks for your contribution.

I would NOT consider the action of my Vibrating Disk Massager to be "deep or intense" yet it seemed to 'loosen' the tight and painful muscles in just a couple of minutes. The RELIEF was Very Fast and seemed to last. It would be interesting to hear what Physical Therapists and Doctors have to say about disk massagers.

Stretching gave only mild relief once intense pain set in but seemed to help more as a preventative and 'reconditioning' of the muscles.

'AL Capshaw'

Jake, I, too, find your research interesting. I had my surgery at the Mayo clinic, and they have a massage therapist on staff there, she is "free", and they encourage you to schedule time with her as soon as you are out of ICU. I had her come to my room a couple of times for the exact type of pain you are speaking of. The pain pump I was on (fentenyl) wasn't even touching it, and they didn't have the "traditional" type of heating pads that I think most of us have at home and wouldn't allow my husband to go buy one and bring it in to me.

As soon as I got home, I started seeing a massage therapist twice a week, starting around week two. Obviously, I couldn't lie on my chest at that point, so she did a pregnancy type massage on me. It really did help my shoulders and neck. I'd give my surgeon a call on Monday and see what they have to say about it...I'd be surprised if they say no.

Al, Lay it on us! What kind of disc massager are you using? Vibration is great for loosening the joints and muscles without beating up on muscle. If it’s working well for you, I would love to know more about it.

Kfay, I think that having a therapist performing massage on staff during the initial hospital stay is great! Beginning a massage regimen right in the hospital would be the most common sense thing I could think of. Preventing the muscles from being able to atrophy while recovering would, in my opinion, be ideal.

At least 80% of my trigger pointing took place while I was on my back. It seems like the perfect response to the damage from surgery if only my surgeon knows anything about it. One day I went into my therapists studio, told her my jaw and neck were tight and kinda hurting, she immediately started working my feet and ankles. I figured that she was working her way up, after an hour of below the knee work, I got up and my pain was gone! She must have sensed my astonishment so she got out the book showing the nerve roots that traverse from the head and neck down the C spine and right down into the feet. Pretty amazing stuff! She is always giving me assignments and teaching me about different types of massage and acupressure which may be helpful. It was so refreshing when I went to the chiropractor and told him I was doing the trigger pointing and although he was not familiar with it, he wanted to know more so he could align his treatment with what the massage therapist was doing. After a couple weeks of that, they were sending each other patients. It seemed like it took my treatment to a whole new level.

Ironically, it was the massage therapist who turned me on to the lactic acid thing. She insisted that when she does deep tissue massage on folks who so not work out regularly that it is introduced slowly and increased with time after mandatory hydration before and after the session. Now lets be clear, when I say deep tissue massage, I felt like I just ran a triathlon after an hour of deep tissue massage with her. I was feeling the burn for a couple visits but by the third, I felt like a new man.

I did some research and it led me to books like the Sinatra Solution book about metabolic cardiology and the impact lactic acid has on the heart and organs. I continue to be amazed at how certain things can touch off other things in the body.
Seeing as how much lactic acid is given off from the heart after a heart attack, and how the body responds to it, I can only imagine the spike of lactic acid that is given off after stopping the heart for surgery and than re-started. I asked the RN about it in the ICU, she pointed to the two huge bags of hydration hanging on the IV rack and the urine catheter on the side of the bed. LOL!!! Apparently, they were way ahead of me.

It sure is nice to be able to share this stuff with a group like you all who are open minded. I was getting a lot of funny looks in the ICU when I started talking about trigger pointing, but no one was walking away without asking questions and trying to understand it and what it was. On my follow up visit in a few days, I’m going back armed with some gift certificates so they can find out for themselves.

Jake -

My Vibrating Disk Massager is probably 40 years old but the company is still around and I see some ads on e-bay for similar names (my out of date IE6 won't open the pictures) after doing a Google Search.

It's an Oster Model 218-01E or 218-OIE
(I'm thinking 01E is the correct number since I saw others such as 218-13E)

'AL Capshaw'

My moms Oster Toaster

My moms Oster Toaster

AL:

That thing is the same unit my barber hits me up with after every haircut. Now that is some old school massage therapy!

I leave my barber with a slick cut and a smile on my face when he lays that Oster on me.

Thanks a million for the recommendation and I am checking them out on Ebay as we speak.

Also, if its an Oster, ITS GOT TO BE GOOD! My mom wouldnt buy an appliance for her kitchen unless it was an Oster.

Rehab Workouts

Rehab Workouts

Rehab workouts did little to relieve the pain I had under my left shoulder blade post-op. I started my rehab program when I was two weeks post-op and spent a lot of time during the first two weeks on a hand cycle. This said, I really enjoyed the time I spent in the rehab program. The nurse who ran my program's answer to the pain I was feeling was to suggest that I continue taking pain meds. I really didn't want to get addicted to pain killers.

I don't think I've had a deep tissue massage during the last twenty-five years where the therapist didn't give me a bottle of water after finishing working on me. I've had more than a few lecture me about being a little on the dehydrated side.

I started seeing a massage therapist as soon as I could stand to lay on my front side. It took awhile before I could do that comfortably. If one opts for the post-op massage thing, I think it's important to communicate with the therapist during the session.

-Philip

It will get better, I had three big gel ice packs that I rotated for the first two months, I'm 5 months now and no pain whatsoever. I have had shoulder pain in the past and prone to straining so I know it is terrible. I usually use head on aches and pains but ice worked the best on that particular.

Latest posts

Back