Yearly echo results are in

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjay32

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I had my yearly echo done early due to some increase in shortness of breath with excersise coupled with mild chest pain. So it looks like the numbers are starting to go south for me. The ascending aorta has increased in size from 4.6 to 4.8. Aortic valve mean gradient went from 17 mmHg to 23 mmHg (This number has been getting worse with each echo) Valve area went from 1.7 to 1.2 cm2. And the valve area index went from about .7 cm2/m2 to .6 cm2/m2. This puts me in the moderate stenosis catagory. Due to the symptoms, the cardo is not rulling out surgery at this time, but will wait to see what the results are from a now scheduled Myocardial Perfusion Study. (love those treadmill tests) So next test is Tuesday.

hi.am sorry but the numbers dont mean a lot to me,my cardio just told me it needed doing,but am sure everthing will work out fine ,

Ya know, my echo results for the ascending aneurysm were typically smaller in diameter than my ct/mri results.

Have you had an opinion from a surgeon yet? It sounds like it's probably time to start talking to one, if only to hear him say that it's not time yet.

Cooker is right! My Cardio told me that as soon as chest pain appeared I needed to speak with a surgeon. Waiting for arbitrary measurements works well with large populations but it doesn't necessarily work with individuals. I would seek the opinion of a Surgeon. Some Doctors are so doctrinaire that they will wait for all of the common symptoms to appear even though they heart is sustaining damage while waiting. Take care, Jay.

Larry

Jay, you would be wise to start thinking about a surgeon.
My cardio encouraged me to meet mine in April 2005 when my readings were "moderate" because I was SOB and some chest pressure, tired, etc. Four months later another cardio did an echo and promptly forbade me from driving my car. Surgery was several weeks later.
Best wishes.

Thanks for the support and replies. This is the first time my cardio even brought up that surgery at this point is an option. He said lets do this next test to be sure the SOB and chest pain is from the valve and not from a blocked artery (which he said he does not think they will find due to the low incidence of that in BAV patients) One of his main concerns was the valve area index was right at the point where he thought it would be considered severe, and that I was having symptoms, so he said lets do the test and then we will talk. The test is this Tuesday, so it is not far away (they would have done it the next day but I had already had my caffeine for the day!!) I am one that does not want to put off the surgery any longer than I have to, so I will be proactive in that area, doesn't mean that I'm not scared about going into the surgery though.

All the best to you Jjay, you are so proactive in watching your numbers I am sure you and your medical team will know when the time is right. Whether it is or not, you'll be fine. No doubt about it.

Wow, first Steve E, and maybe Duff Man, and now you, JJay! People are lining up to bail out of the waiting room!

Good luck with the test next Tuesday. There is probably no issue with your coronary arteries, at least I hope that is the case. Numbers are only numbers, and symptoms mean more than anything else, even though your gradient and valve area are not yet in the severe range. Perhaps the valve area index is more telling.

Best wishes,

Jiim

Last edited:
Jjay I went with the appearance of symptoms to indicate when it was 'time'. My mean gradient was 75, valve area 0.8cm2. And I had very minor symptoms that I didn't even notice until my cardio phoned and said 'you are one year overdue for your echo'. If you're starting to feel that things have changed, that's what matters, not the numbers as they will be different for all of us. Good luck andI second what others have said, it's important to get this done BEFORE you cause damage to your heart. :)

Best of luck Jjay.Just got on the other side of the mountain myself Monday Nov 22 at 1pm was my first step down and going down seems to be easier.I have had to side step a few holes but now it is Monday 29 of November (1 week) and things are on track.Took a long time to get here so i think I will enjoy the view on the way down. Hope the same for you.

Sounds like they have you covered. It does sound like you are getting close though. I felt the same way. Did not want to put if off any longer than necessary, even though I was scared out of my mind!

Take care

Latest posts

Back