Who wants to live forever

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Sue. I am sorry to hear about your son.
For me personally, that is the approach I take as well. I would love to see my kids marry and see my grandkids some day. But I also know that it may not be possible to do these things, some things are beyond our control. So , I too, strive to make each day worthwhile and work to be the best father I can be so that my children will remember me well when I am gone. I can find peace in that.

The longer I'm here and the worse I feel, I do not want to live forever. I do believe we have somewhere to go other then this life. I've experienced this other plain of existence twice.

I'm going to get a tattoo across my chest that says "HEROIC MEASURES!!!" and shave it every day. That's how serious I am.

I used to worry about what happens to me when I die. Now that I have my baby, I worry about what happens to HER.

Hi Ross,

Hope this means your back.(even if occasionally) Thank you for sharing that with us. Was this similar to an "out of body expericence"?

Hi Ross,

Hope this means your back.(even if occasionally) Thank you for sharing that with us. Was this similar to an "out of body expericence"?

I'm trying to swing in from time to time. I'm sort of at a stall point on the home front project, but it can resume anytime.

I would definately say it was an experience, but whether I can say out of body remains something I think people define, rather then can say yes or no too.

I like your attitude, Art. Continue on dreaming and as the first dream came true, the others may come true too.

To answer you other question, I personally believe in life after death and this, together with my strong faith about it, makes it easier to accept death.

Like Betty, as a Christian I believe that I will be spending eternity in Heaven with Jesus Christ. I've never been really close to death at least that I was aware of at the time, so it's impossible to say that I won't have some fear or apprehension (we are human), but I can say this: everytime that I've been wheeled into surgery be it for OHS or other heart procedures where I've had to be put to sleep, I've had a definite peace knowing that whatever God chose to do (leave me here or take me home) was fine with me. The one exception was the time that I knew I was in serious trouble when I was bleeding internally from my INR being way too high and was having to have exploratory surgery to get it stopped. I did pray at that time and asked the Lord to please let me live long enough to help raise our children who were ages 7, 5, and 5. I guess He felt that I was needed here a while longer...the kids are now 33, 31, and 31! LINDA

Like others have already reflected, to me being a Christian makes all the difference. I'd like to hang around a lot longer and see my grandchildren - but if I have to go today then it's wonderful to know that I'll be going to Heaven - and from the Bible it sounds like a great place to be!! :)

Like several others have said, my Christian faith, including a belief in an eternal home in heaven, does make it easier to face death. I believe I came relatively close years ago during a c-section. I had an epidural so I was conscious and aware that I wasn't breathing properly, and looking back, I believe I may have been bleeding out. I thought I might be dying, but I felt very calm and peaceful, and told God I was putting my loved ones into His care.

I want to be like my dad, and if I die unexpectedly like he did, I want to leave no "I love you"s unsaid, no hugs unhugged, no blessings unbestowed. I hope when I really go, it will be just as peaceful as my "near miss."

Last edited:
Being a Christian I dont fear death.I almost died 2 twice during my surgery in Sept.When I was told that after waking up it didnt scare me.I knew then my faith was stronger than I thought.

I'm going to get a tattoo across my chest that says "HEROIC MEASURES!!!" and shave it every day. That's how serious I am.

good idea, at first. but what happens after your 3rd valve replacement
with the scars? what are the doctors to think when they remove
your shirt and see... "HE-----SU-ES"

Live Forever...only if I can be a vampire...maybe Lestat's girlfriend;):p

(btw- The Lestat in the book, not the movie)

If it were possible to live forever on this planet I would be terrified. I think I love life, and lead a full life. But after 10,000 years, and knowing there were countless centuries of the same--looking forward to that that would frighten and nearly paralyze me. (Jonathan Swift wrote a powerful book about this possibility).

In fact, as a believing Christian, I had often wondered how heaven could possibly be enjoyable for eternity. I think the answer came to me one day in a church service. if you believe the Bible, we are made in the image of God. As I read the Bible, the primary purpose of our creation is to glorify God. There is an experience I cannot accurately describe---but here goes. I have had many occasions where I was singing God's praises in church--and came to feel that being in his presence and singing his praises is something I could enjoy forever. I only want to speak for my own experience and personal beliefs--but this realization was a milestone in my personal experience of personal faith.

Has anyone read "Forever" by Pete Hamill? Fascinating book about a man who came to New York in 1740 and lives on and on and on, etc.

Hamill is an American born to Irish Catholic immigrants. He started his writing career as a journalist (was one of the 4 men who disarmed Sirhan Sirhan, who assassinated Robert Kennedy).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Hamill

"Forever" is a very haunting story. I don't care to have immortal life on earth. I want to be reunited someday with family, loved ones and my cats. (No, I'm not speciesist; I do believe that animals have souls.)

Another one of Hamill's books that I loved is "Snow in August."

My faith in Jesus Christ gives me the reason to live from day to day. All these earthly things will vanish. We are here such a short time and my resting place is with my Heavenly Father. I do not fear death at all I know where I'm going and I know who holds the future. In the mean time I am here for a purpose. I give God the glory just to be alive. :)

My faith in Jesus Christ gives me the reason to live from day to day. All these earthly things will vanish. We are here such a short time and my resting place is with my Heavenly Father. I do not fear death at all I know where I'm going and I know who holds the future. In the mean time I am here for a purpose. I give God the glory just to be alive. :)

Beautifully said my friend! :)

I don't fear death, although I'm not yet ready to go. I don't want to live forever. I know there's somewhere else to go, or I wouldn't feel my father and sister near me from time to time. I firmly believe I'll see my pets again, too. Love never dies.

What I fear is life as a vegetable, and/or a slow painful death, which is why my directive to physicians specifically authorizes removal of my ACT and beta blockers, and turning off my pacemaker, as well as removal of hydration and nutrition.

At a recent CLE seminar, the head of the ethics board of a major local hospital system said that if you have CHF, or kidney failure, you can literally drown, and there is no kindness in providing nutrition or hydration under those circumstances. In fact, he thinks it's cruel, as well as being in contrast to what a person does when dying, which is reject food and water.

Having experienced some degree of CHF, I agree.

I don't fear death, although I'm not yet ready to go. I don't want to live forever. I know there's somewhere else to go, or I wouldn't feel my father and sister near me from time to time. I firmly believe I'll see my pets again, too. Love never dies.

What I fear is life as a vegetable, and/or a slow painful death, which is why my directive to physicians specifically authorizes removal of my ACT and beta blockers, and turning off my pacemaker, as well as removal of hydration and nutrition.

At a recent CLE seminar, the head of the ethics board of a major local hospital system said that if you have CHF, or kidney failure, you can literally drown, and there is no kindness in providing nutrition or hydration under those circumstances. In fact, he thinks it's cruel, as well as being in contrast to what a person does when dying, which is reject food and water.

Having experienced some degree of CHF, I agree.

I agree.
A close relative told me that when it was her time, she wanted to "go out with a bang" instantly and never know a thing about it.
Instead, she is in the end stages of pancreatic cancer. That is a very cruel disease and an awful way to die.

Latest posts

Back