Who wants to live forever

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art

After my first surgery (coarctation) in 1966 my dream was to see in the new Millennium,
I did and had a night to remember
Now 2 years after my second surgery (avr) and with a 7 year old daughter my dream is to stay around until she is at least 30
In the year 2032 will I have a new dream/wish to see her children reach 30
and now for a nearly pc question
Is it less difficult to die if you believe in an after life

It takes a VERY strong belief system to honestly say yes to that question. The older I get the more questions I have. Most people I have talked to about this would make a deal with the devil to stay here longer. I lost a son when he was 22 so I would like to think I could see him again.

It would also explain why some people find God at the end,,to make it less difficult to let go. We do what we need to do to get through this thing called life.

There is so much we don't know about life and about death. My own belief is that there is something that goes on after death. I feel the presence of people who have passed on all the time, and I don't think I am nuts :) Others have felt the same thing.

Prayer seems to work, sometimes in very subtle ways and not on the way you imagined.

Think of how vast the universe is. Our planet is merely a tiny grain of sand on a giant beach. I am not even sure anyone knows if there is a limit to the universe or if there is, if there is another universe after that. We know so little about so many things. It is conceivable that there is another form of spirit, life, energy that takes place after life. Until one of us can come back and relate what happened, we will never know.

How about the many near death experiences that people have had?

Yes, but still not easy.
If you have faith that your passing is a simply transition from this earthly world to an eternal life in heaven, logically, death would be less difficult to mentally accept.
The problems with dying are basically greed and guilt. Greed in wanting more out of life than life is giving you and facing the moment at which life carries on without you. Guilt in all the wrongs you will not be able to correct, the words you will not be there to say and the hugs you will not be able to give. Really just the bad feeling of leaving something undone is the biggest sting of death.
I guess that changing the paradigm from a "date" that you wish to live until to a "place" you want to be when you die could help to make the end less difficult. Instead of thinking about it as what you want to be, think of it as who you want to be. Being at peace with your daughter if you were to go when she was 22yrs old may be much more rewarding and far less difficult than lasting until she is thirty but having painful emotional baggage hanging on your heart as your eyes close.

I strongly believe that when I die my spirit will go to another place. Be it heaven or somewhere else. I hope that I will get to see my mom again. But while I'm here I try everyday to hug and say I Love You to my family and friends and to forgive everyone who might wrong me either directly or indirectly. I have plans to use up my body doing as much of what makes me happy as I can. That way when I finally close my eyes for the final time I will have a smile on my face and a chocolate bar in my hand.:D

Hi Art,

I would think yes, but I can only really speak for myself. I think we all have doubts from time to time. Even devout Christians, experience this. I think it is part of the human condition. We are only mere mortals, trying to figure out, just what this thing called life ( and death) is all about. I find myself alway falling back on my religious upbring. My Catholicism seems to give me more meaning, and focus to my life. I can only beleive, that is a good thing.

Thanks for the question.

I believe it is. I actually feel like I'm more of a traveler here on earth and really don't fit in. I love life but I feel that when I die I will actually then be going home. Jesus has made all the difference in my life.

There is a history of dementia in my family and there are times I say I'd rather die a little sooner from heart disease/valve problems than die at an older age from dementia. For me (and I think many people), quality of life is more important than quantity of life. I don't want to die in a nursing home wearing diapers and not knowing who I or any of my loved ones are. If I am fortunate to die sooner than that happens to me, that would be my choice.

JMHO.......

I've told my daughter to not leave me alive as a drooling, bedridden, shell of a person....If I get to that state, cut off my oxygen and say "Bon Voyage".
It would be amazing to see my late Mom and all my pets again. :)

To me the 'quality of life' is more important than 'the quantity of life'. "Pull the plug & let me go" if it comes to that point! I too would love to run into my momma's & all my dearly departed arms when I leave this world!

My husband on the other hand, wants me kept alive no matter what condition I'm in! :eek: (that's one of the reasons I've got to get an "Advanced Health Care Directive" in place soon! )

Is it less difficult to die if you believe in an after life

i thought about this a lot around the time of my surgery. my honest opinion is no, it's not less difficult to die if you believe in an after life. even people with the most rock hard faith are scared of death. why? i guess because it's the unknown. and maybe there is something in us all that knows all to well that this could in fact be the only life we have. all that aside, i think even an eternity in heaven can be scary. who can even fathom living on for eternity? doesn't make any sense. plus living for an eternity would make this present life just as pointless as if there were no afterlife.

the above is just my humble thoughts on the subject, nothing more.

I can't even let the thought of not seeing my children grow up enter my brain or I break down. They are 8 and 11. - Dianne

I can't even let the thought of not seeing my children grow up enter my brain or I break down. They are 8 and 11. - Dianne

Agreed. I was always the same way.
Now my dtr is grown up (almost 25 yrs of age) and has a good career, so I can rest easy that she will survive financially, but I would love to be around several years longer and see what life still has to offer.

Agreed. I was always the same way.
Now my dtr is grown up (almost 25 yrs of age) and has a good career, so I can rest easy that she will survive financially, but I would love to be around several years longer and see what life still has to offer.

I guess this circles back to the original question. Would faith or belief in life after death make it any easier to die.

I believe in heaven and my son who died in September at 41 is visiting right now with my dad,stepdad and Dale Earnhardt,Sr. and when I die I will see them all together. I live life to the fullest and do not fear death. I just miss the ones I love who went before me.

Back