West Nile Virus -- Tested Positive

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njean

Premium Level
Supporting Member
Well folks, seems that I have befallen victim to those pesky, germ-filled flying insects, called mosquitoes. :eek2:

I have been suffering with excruciatingly painful & neck stiffness for about a month now. It seem to have begun about 3 days after I went for my flu shot so I just thought I was having a reaction to the shot, even though I never had an adverse reaction before.

However, the flu-like symptoms continued, headache, joint pain, loss of appetite, inertia, and just wanting to nap all the time! And the pain & stiffness in the neck area, getting worse & worse with each passing day. The pain would radiate to both sides of the neck, down to my shoulders and up towards my head. At times, I would get spasms on both sides of the neck similar to charley horses. Sometimes it was so painful & stiff, I could not even drive.

I kept thinking that perhaps my PC was causing neck strain and/or that my sinuses were infected. I continued to baby it by using heat & cold, staying off the laptop but nothing worked!

Finally, one day I just couldn’t stand it any longer & made an appointment w/a chiropractor & a Ear, Nose & Throat doctor to see if I could find relief. X-rays were taken, lab work, ct scan of sinus cavities & everything came back okay. No allergies, no sinus infections, nothing sinister. There was some osteopena that showed up in the neck X-rays but it wasn’t anything significant. Chiropractor gave me 3 treatments and then suggested that I go see the PCP & have him run further blood tests and check for infections. She was concerned that there may something else going on.

Last week of September, I went to my PCP and described my symptoms. I told him to make sure & check for the West Nile virus in particular because we live in a rural, farm area near irrigation canals, the perfect breeding grounds for mosquitoes. And too, when we irrigate our pecan orchard, sometimes the water will sit in the field for days until it is absorbed by the soil.

Anyway, yesterday I went to get the results from my doctor and just as I expected, I tested positive for a strain of the West Nile virus. I was lucky to have the milder version and not the more severe full-blown strain that could have been life threatening!

I was Rx’d “Tamiflu” for 5 days and then get my blood rechecked as soon as I’m done w/the meds.

I feel like I have been dodging the bullet throughout this year. :frown2: I sure hope things start to settle down now. I’ve had enough!

I sure hate to read this, Norma, but I'm glad it's not the more serious strain.
You deserve a break! You have really been through the wringer.
You're in my prayers for a quick recovery.

Sorry to hear this, Norma. Sure hope the meds knock it out quickly and you are better. There are all sorts of stinging critters down here -- sketters to be sure -- and I've thought it's just a matter of time til I get it since the dawg and I are out walking so much. Sending my prayers for you.

Ok, Norma, that's enough! No more illnesses for you for a very, very long time. I know you are glad that it didn't turn out to be something more serious. I hope the tamiflu does the trick and you are feeling like your old self soon. Sorry you've had to suffer for so long.

Kimmie

It's good you thought to have them check for that in particular. They may not have tested otherwise. I hope you feel better soon!

Yep, that's quite enough there Norma, dadgummit..! Sure do hope you're feeling a little better today, but mainly glad to hear that you mentioned the virus to your doctor and asked to be tested. Hang in there...we're with you...HUGS

I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with this. But so happy you asked them to test for it and that you have one of the "milder" strains. Hopefully you will start feeling better soon.
I'm sure you know this, but since you are taking Tamiflu, be sure to keep an eye on your INR. I remember there were a few articles about coumadin+tamiflu a while ago.I don't know what they decided, but better to be safe

Last edited:
Thank you dear ones for your prayers, thoughts & advice! You're all so special!

I am starting to feel better. My neck doesn't feel as stiff & I'm starting to sleep better too. The one bright note to all of this is that I have lost about 8 lbs & I do not want them back!! :) My appetite has been really suppressed --- hope to keep it that way!

And Lyn, yes I will be keeping an eye on my INR. I test weekly, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks again & you all stay healthy too!

xox

P.S. And yes, I am very glad that I asked them to test me for WNV because otherwise I don't think they would have. I've always believed that WE need to be more vocal about our health issues & make sure our doctors know that we are in command!!

Last edited:
And yes, I am very glad that I asked them to test me for WNV because otherwise I don't think they would have. I've always believed that WE need to be more vocal about our health issues & make sure our doctors know that we are in command!!

Very true!

Course, I'm surprised that they didn't test you for that, too, originally, given your symptoms....

Hope you are feeling much better by now! :)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Rt 66+northwestUS, 2011?
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Come along and share the good times while we can" ... Lynn Anderson ... 'Rose Garden'

Thanks folks and I do feel better but still not quite myself!

I am still battling the pain & stiffness on the left side of my neck. I don't even think it's related to the light strain of WN anymore. Reason I say this is, because the 2nd set of lab work that was done a day after I had finished taking the tamiflu, must have come out okay because the doctor never called me about it! He had mentioned that if something still looked amiss, he would call me. I even called their office & spoke to his nurse & she said that they had not finished looking through the reports but that she would keep an eye out for it. And they never called!

Maybe they figured if I could drive myself to their office, I wasn't dying, so better to deal with others that are far worse off then me!

I went back to the chiropractor on Thursday & she manipulated my neck & popped it. I felt a great deal of relief afterwards.

But yesterday, I must have spent too much time on the PC, messing around & catching up with business paperwork, that by nighttime, I was squirming with pain! Had to take a tylenol for some relief! I was hurting so bad, I blurted out to my husband that although I've never condoned suicide, I could see how people can resort to that! Terrible I know & I'm ashamed to have said that!

Today I'm trying my best not to overdo things & the neck is not too painful. Have doctor appts next week so I'll keep you posted.

Back