Welcome, Jeff from Alberta

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Edmonton

Hello group, my surgery date was determined today and I am waiting to find out when. I will need a new Aortic valve, possibly a single bypass and what ever else they find once they open me up. I was born with a bicuspid valve and it is now time for surgical intervention. I had an angiogram done last week and they are moving quickly to get me in for surgery I believe (aortic .78).

I joined this group a few days ago and it has been a great wealth of information already. I have a rough family history with heart related issues so it is no surprise that this is happening but it does not make it any easier.

I have not been setup with a surgeon yet and I worry about that right now, A
mechanical valve has already been recommended. The surgery will happen at the U of A hospital in Edmonton.

Hi Jeff, welcome to the site. We've all been where you are and the waiting and unknown are the worst part of the process. Fortunately you can learn from others here at this great site to gain the knowledge of what to expect as you go through this process. Unfortunately you still have to go through the waiting we all did. The good news is that heart surgeons seem to be a pretty serious bunch of folks who take their job seriously. Your job is to make sure your surgeon has the experience doing the procedure he/she wants to do to you. Good luck.

Hi Jeff

Wow a brother in my home province! Good to have some company.

I am diagnosed with an aorta valve limited to open .6cm2 and a dilated ascending aorta of 4.5 cm's. I as well will be sporting the latest and greatest in MAV and an ascending aorta graft come later this Jan. Scheduled for a CT scan Jan 2 and an angiogram Jan 4. Pre-op clinic on Jan 11.

As for a surgeon, ask the cardiologist who is recommended. My cardiologist chose a surgeon who has and does lots of our type of surgery.

Your city has both On-X and the St. Jude Regent AV available. Make sure you are getting either of the two and you should be set for life.

Look into home INR testing. The CoaguChek XS according to our brothers and sisters is the one to get. Home testing will save trauma to the veins and trips to the lab. London drugs carries the device and provides the training in store. About $500.00.

Sounds like we will be laid up at the same time. Let's meet at a mid point for coffee.LOL!

What has been your experience with the provincial wait times! I'm pissed! Ontario and Quebec does not have our dilemma. By rights I should have had surgery within a month of diagnosis on Oct 14, as I was found to be classified as severe upon discovery.

Wishing you the best.

Welcome aboard Jeff.
It may appear daunting from where you are now, however remember that most of us have already gone through surgery and done well and you will to.
There shouldn’t be any surprises ounce they "open me up" as this is what all the presurgery tests are trying to avoid.

A couple of things to look at pre surgery and at time of surgery are---#1 make sure you are having regular bowel movements right up until surgery.With all the medication you get in the hospital you may get blocked up and you sure do not want that,the nurses will want you up and poopin as soon as possible.#2 the week before surgery would be the perfect time to get a professional back massge so that you are lossened up for what you go through on the operating table.

Thanks for the warm welcome, bdrider I actually had gone to Calgary for testing last year but my family is all in Edmonton, I live around Red Deer in Lacombe. We will definitely have to get together and have coffee and compare stories. I am 49 this year, I will make it to 50 no questions asked... I have not heard from my cardiologist yet, it is the festive season I guess. Went to work today, am usually on the road all the time, I work with a good group of people that support me. My wife is a nurse so I am now her little cardiac patient. I used to work in the medical field as a BIOMED fixing medical equipment so I am aware of the technological advancements so I believe we are in good hands. I think the waiting and not knowing is the worst.

Hey Jeff

I love the country side of your home. The road cycling is Beautiful! When I'm traveling north to visit my twin bro, I will occasionally stop and go for a road ride.

I'm about 5 years your senior, I'm actually working on being 18 again, but this heart thing has thrown me a curve ball.

My cardiologist is AFRAID of flying, [as I have previously stated, I'm an aircraft tech] so we hold each others hand. He reassures me that my boo-boo will be cured and I reassure the airliner will not crash! Hence we spend our sessions 50/50 heart talk and 50/50 airline safety. If he screws up, I'm going to scare the crap out him with aviation horror stories. He will never fly again . I can hear it now, Greyhound paging the doctor, the milk run to Ottawa departs in two minutes. LOL! Who did/do you see as a cardiologist

Like you, the tech-op department of our airline has, is and will be going out of their way to help me. I am grateful! It helps when you are paying into insurance, Relieves the Co. from paying me when I off for two months, B_ tching on this web site about post-op problems. Hmmm, no wonder they are supportive.

Since you did the BIOMED techy thing, I have a question, "how often do you calibrate a home INR device"?

So your wife is a nurse, I could use one of those, does she have any single friends? He-He!

Jeff my fellow Canuk, a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you are getting the information that you are seeking and there is swealth of knowledge here for the future .....

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf[/

Just wanted to say hi and welcome, Jeff from Alberta!

I'm so glad you found this wonderful site at such a crucial time of your life! We're here to offer you support, knowledge and hope, so don't be shy and ask whatever questions you might have!

Wishing you the best!!

Latest posts

Back