warfarin and feeling the cold

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat, Guru and Merkintologist
this subject has come up from time to time and as I've only been on Warfarin for a little over two years (and most of that living warm parts of Australia) I found it difficult to make a meaningful input.

Well now that I've returned to Finland I can make some observations. It hasn't made the slightest difference to my feeling cold, not even in the extremities like my fingers and toes.

We went out moose hunting last weekend (and all we got was bogged), the location was about lattitude 67N, which puts it inside the Arctic Circle. Its early winter so its not yet really cold, it was only about -11C (or about 12 for those on the Farrenhufferheidisan scale)

So we sat on our butts not moving or making a sound on the side of this road in about 40cm thick snow (and yes I dug out my area a little).

11249039696_6ec9a2f434.jpg

it was quite beautiful even if cold.

It was snowing lightly (which helps it to be warmer), and the snow sat on everything, unmelting because of the cold...

11249109733_afe64ddb81.jpg

So I'm quite confident that my twinkle toes were not any colder (nor my nose tip) than last time, suggesting to me that if you're feeling colder than before you went on warfarin it may not be the warfarin and my be something else (like lowered activity rates).

Oh, and this is one more activity which one can safely do on Warfarin (for those who somehow feel that one has to give up living life because you're on blood thinners)

Next I'll put up some shots of an upcoming cross country ski trip (where I doubt I'll get cold feet either)

Live Life,
Love the second chances you get

:)

Btw, are you sure the bright orange camouflage didn't scare away the meese?

reportedly it doesn't. I understood they are colourblind and so its mainly to help humans to not shoot the other humans. Finland has pretty strict policy on hunting.

Now they do have a keen sence of smell, and ... well ... beanz meanz fartz ... so Lari could have given them some hint of our presence.

Looks like a winter wonderland.

winter wonderland season has started, but I prefer it when its colder and the flakes are like exquisite crystals and the snow is dry enough for my wooden skis

Koivusuo trip a few years ago
I only had a crap digital camera (never leave home on a ski trip without film!!) with me

koivusuoLight.jpg

that was a beautiful trip (something like -20C iirc and Li-ION or Li-PO batteries cease functioning)

winter wonderland season has started, but I prefer it when its colder and the flakes are like exquisite crystals and the snow is dry enough for my wooden skis

Koivusuo trip a few years ago
I only had a crap digital camera (never leave home on a ski trip without film!!) with me

koivusuoLight.jpg

that was a beautiful trip (something like -20C iirc and Li-ION or Li-PO batteries cease functioning)

Those are beautiful winter scenes, Pellicle. Reminds me of our Canadian winters. Glad that you can report the Warfarin isn't making you feel colder. I also like your 2 lines...Live life and love the second chances...how true!

Canadian winters indeed, now all you have to do is add a -43C windchill (that's what we're experiencing today), but it's only 28C at 2:00 in the afternoon.

Don't have to tell me "that's cold", but it's the perfect temperature to throw boiling water outside and watch it disappear. lol

Those are beautiful winter scenes, Pellicle. Reminds me of our Canadian winters. Glad that you can report the Warfarin isn't making you feel colder. I also like your 2 lines...Live life and love the second chances...how true!

Yes, beautiful photos, beautiful description, and beautifull ending remarks! Thanks for sharing.

11249039696_6ec9a2f434.jpg

it was quite beautiful even if cold.

It was snowing lightly (which helps it to be warmer), and the snow sat on everything, unmelting because of the cold...

11249109733_afe64ddb81.jpg

Is that a Remington 700? No matter what, nice piece! Did you get your moose?

Don't have to tell me "that's cold", but it's the perfect temperature to throw boiling water outside and watch it disappear. lol

First time I visited my mate in Alberta I caught a glimpse of the Canadian style. The winds are hard to deal with and do chill it down. At least here in Finland when its -30°C its still ... yes that's -22°F ... plain. Old temperature, not adding wind chill.

I still get a kick out of throwing water onto the coals at really low temp, outside that is ;-)

Beautiful winter scene! Also glad the moose were smarter than the dogs that day!
Here in Ca, it's been down to 29, our bird bath and fountain are frozen every morning, and I'm thinking it's really cold. Loving our wood burning fireplace insert.
Okay, I'm a wimp! Luckily, I've been a skier, so I have great jackets.
I would also agree that being on warfarin doesn't affect our feeling of the temperature.

totally off topic, but as one with a keen sense of ethical food I feel its curious how many non-hunting types are sympathetic to the wild animals killed quickly by a gun than the chickens and pigs in the 'standard' food production.

Of course if you're a vegan then I admire your courage and your resolve.

I have never been on warfarin however I can say is did feel the cold on Metoprolol, even though cold was only 3-4 C. My nose and fingers were numb and this isn't usual for me at these temperatures. This is one of the side effects of beta blockers.

Well now that I've returned to Finland I can make some observations. It hasn't made the slightest difference to my feeling cold, not even in the extremities like my fingers and toes.

I actually feel the cold quite a bit less than I used to, but I suspect that's 'cos my mitral valve had a congenital defect I never knew about and now I have a mechanical one that's working at 100%.

I'll have to agree with OldManEmu - beta blockers can mess you up in cold weather. I take metoprolol and live in Chicago - bad combination. It has been below 10 degrees F here this weekend (worse with wind chill), and I have to be really careful.

Chilled, not chilled

Chilled, not chilled

Happy you didn't feel the cold while hunting. Lovely pictures not much different from northern Ontario. But inside the Arctic Circle is not for me.
Feeling cold and intolerance to cold are two side effects of taking anti-coagulants. When I feel chilled to the bone--and it happens frequently--has nothing to do with the ambient air temperature. Our hydro has been out for five days, outside temperature 10 degrees above freezing F, and I have not felt "chilled to the bone". No hydro means no heat and no water. The ice storm left an inch and a half ice, trees and branches came down over the power lines.
So it's hard to realize why I have been chilled at pleasant temperatures and not chilled now. I'm just glad it works this way.

Of course Europe (like Australia) uses C not F ... so

today is -20, but tomorrow looks hot ... or cool ... or fun anyway

15871903_10154882955497498_1695646107391219438_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back