Time for a Grammar Pet Peeve Thread

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olefin, I think it's terrific that you've done so well. This thread is about grammar pet peeves and not about whether anyone has a right to be here based on their grammar skills. If I had to correctly solve calculus problems to remain a member, I'd be long gone. ;)

Lisa, I've enjoyed this thread. I love correct grammar usage, but I don't always talk like I do or write like I do. It's just a fun subject.

On of the ones that gets me is incorrect use of apostrophe S, particularly on signs and business correspondence. For casual use I just overlook it. We all type more slowly than we think.

An apostrophe does not mean "Look out! The letter S is coming!"

We have signs in our development's parks that say "For Resident's Use Only." That makes me CRAZY! Which resident is permitted to use the park?

And yo, boss: The plural of individual retirement account is IRAs, not IRA's. I mean, we are supposed to be wordsmiths in this job.

I have a family member who has written several published books, maybe 20 or so. You should see some of his emails to me, typos, poor grammar, poor spelling, poor punctuation. He is a highly creative man, so he has an editor who cleans up his act. :)

Quite a while back we had a member who felt the need to correct people's spelling and grammar errors. She caused terrible problems, and then when everyone got her upset, she left in a huff, never to return. But not before she had made some folks feel inadequate.

That is why I wrote what I did. Not that this thread comes anywhere near that. But I do remember that sad time.

This drives me nuts and I 've been guilty of doing it. Mostly when talking, not writing. Habit I am trying to break.
Where is my coat at?

Should be: Where is my coat?

Ok, this one is spelling, not grammar. I've been to several schools that have special areas designated with a sign that says "Busses". The plural of bus is buses. The plural of buss (kiss) is busses. Imagine what would happen if the kids knew there was a special area for kissing! I bet we know where Ross will be hanging out from now on!

Again, misspelling and grammar doesn't bother me in casual context (other than the above mentioned use of "of" and that is strictly because it brings to mind the parent I would rather forget). When I get letters with errors from schools, I've been known to use a red pen to make corrections and send them back (anonymously, of course).

she had made some folks feel inadequate.

That is why I wrote what I did. Not that this thread comes anywhere near that. But I do remember that sad time.

Making others feel inadequate is inexcusable. It is sad for that to have happened.

What I find strange in regards to myself is the fact that I make many more mistakes while typing than writing or speaking. Maybe its because I have never been a natural typist and so my concentration is off. 'This happen with anyone else?

BTW- I think what upsets me most is how some of our younger generation
believes it to be 'in fashion' to speak like an illiterate.

What I find strange in regards to myself is the fact that I make many more mistakes while typing than writing or speaking. Maybe its because I have never been a natural typist and so my concentration is off. 'This happen with anyone else?

.........QUOTE]

I never had typos in my typing life! I know I have typos now on the forum and I know this is because of my 'fake' nails, for one, and for not bothering to re-read what I typed, being always in a rush!!

:mad:My latest and greatest grammar pet peeve is when people use the word "of" when they mean "have". For instance, "I should of stayed in bed." I know this stems from the contraction, "I should've stayed in bed." but that comes from, "I should have stayed in bed." There is no OF in that sentence!

It seems like I see this more and more lately. I think the reason that it annoys me so much is because I once had a student turn in an incomplete math paper with lots of artwork in the margins. Beside the 30 that she earned for the paper, I wrote, "Spend more time on this (with an arrow pointing at the math) and less time on this (with an arrow pointing at the art)." Her mother, who was always rude and obnoxious, returned the paper with a note that said, "If you would of taught her, she could of finished the paper." Of course, it didn't matter that everyone else in the class made a grade between 85-100, it was my fault. So now when I see the word "of" used for the word "have" it brings back that bad memory. :mad:

Thanks for listening, now carry on!

I'm not bothered by errors in grammar on public forums or where there is no requirement for accuracy. However my biggest grammar pet peeve is when sloppy grammar is evident in newspapers or professional publications. I've seen it more often in newspapers.

I am not bothered either by grammatical or typing mistakes on forums or emailings between friends as I can understand why it may "of" :D happened, but it would bug me if it happens in a class room, or in a situation like Lisa's!!

I find that my fingers sometimes have a mind of their own and will type a word that begins with the same letters as the word I intended or sometimes I will leave off endings such as ....s or ...ed, etc.

For those reasons, I usually re-read my posts before hitting the "send reply" button.

Then there is is the "Edit" button which I find myself using more and more... (as I just did to add this sentence).

'AL Capshaw'

I find that my fingers sometimes have a mind of their own and will type a word that begins with the same letters as the word I intended or sometimes I will leave off endings such as ....s or ...ed, etc.

For those reasons, I usually re-read my posts before hitting the "send reply" button.

Then there is is the "Edit" button which I find myself using more and more... (as I just did to add this sentence).

'AL Capshaw'

You mean the edit button still works? Thought sure I wore it out. I'm forever going back and looking at things, seeing just what spell check missed and what I didn't put in.

I have my edit button, and happy I do!! I have to go back sometimes and change wording. Still not prefect and I was a teacher. :eek:
Ross don't take my button away!!! :D

I see grammar as a tool. No one writes with the ultimate purpose of being grammatically correct. Normally grammar contributes greatly to the purpose of communicating, and in those cases the tool has served it's purpose.

Sometimes being grammatically correct is going to "sound wrong" to a particular audience. In those cases I have chosen to "sound right" rather than be "right". But, I must admit, it does drive my teacher wife crazy.

Latest posts

Back