Time for a Grammar Pet Peeve Thread

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one particular grammatical mistake which I hear all the time which drives me nuts. It is using an adjective in place of an adverb (e.g. "He walked slow" instead of "he walked slowly"). What really horrifies me is that not only do ordinary people make this mistake, but I have heard it several times by reporters on T.V.!!

There is one particular grammatical mistake which I hear all the time which drives me nuts. It is using an adjective in place of an adverb (e.g. "He walked slow" instead of "he walked slowly"). What really horrifies me is that not only do ordinary people make this mistake, but I have heard it several times by reporters on T.V.!!

That's because somebody writes the news and the reporters read it. I did news reporting for a local cable-access news program when I was a college freshman, and several times I saw grammatical mistakes in what I was to read. Often times, I'd correct as I read on the air.

Anyway... my personal peeve is teachers who use poor grammar/spelling in the classroom. Not that I'm Super Grammar Girl myself, but I have a colleague (English teacher) who uses incorrect grammar and spelling quite often. Example: She'll write plagerism on the board instead of plaigiarism.

OK. That's it before I get my a$$ kicked. By the way, I do agree with Nancy's posts. No need to get all over people here who don't use "perfect" grammar and such.

I have yet to see a perfect grammarian on VR ... we have members from all over the country and world with varying levels of education ... I know that this thread is for fun / information but lets remember that we are here to help folks with heart issues that may be worried and frightened ... I had a member chastise me once, ?suggesting I learn to use spell check? ... being the kinder, gentler Chimp that I was a few years ago and the fact that my skin is as tough as a turtle shell I ignored it and went on being active on VR ... that same comment may have embarrassed and driven someone else away ... the fact that I am a CPA (certified public ass wooper:D) and have a PHD (posthole diggers:D) does not mean that I am perfect or have the right to correct anyones grammar or sentence structure .... just a thought ... peace out:cool:

I have yet to see a perfect grammarian on VR ... we have members from all over the country and world with varying levels of education ... I know that this thread is for fun / information but lets remember that we are here to help folks with heart issues that may be worried and frightened ... I had a member chastise me once, ?suggesting I learn to use spell check? ... being the kinder, gentler Chimp that I was a few years ago and the fact that my skin is as tough as a turtle shell I ignored it and went on being active on VR ... that same comment may have embarrassed and driven someone else away ... the fact that I am a CPA (certified public ass wooper:D) and have a PHD (posthole diggers:D) does not mean that I am perfect or have the right to correct anyones grammar or sentence structure .... just a thought ... peace out:cool:

Well said!

I hate the accurate, but annoying, s's for possessive proper nouns as in, "the Jones's now own part of GM." It is not a big deal, however I like Jones' because it was how it was taught when I was in elementary school. It's not earth shattering and imposes no requirement on anyone else, it's just my pet peeve. :D:p;)

I think some people are missing Lisa's point. I don't believe this was a message to VR members - or anyone else posting on internet bulletin boards to shape up and watch their grammar when posting. I saw her post as just the over-all decline of the English language and bad habits that have become acceptable.

The toughest teacher I ever had on grammar was my Early Childhood Psychology professor in college. She was an African-American woman from Louisiana that could go into any number of dialects in conversation, but she would flunk you as fast as a second if you turned in a paper or gave a speech that was grammatically unsound. She said "One day you will be college graduates and you will have parents and co-workers looking to you for signs that you are indeed a college educated individual that knows about that which you speak. Even if you go on to become a mechanic, or a waitress, the respect you garner will be based first on what comes out of your mouth and then a demonstration of your expertise."

This is a casual group, so I don't spend a lot of time sweating whether my writing would pass my Mother's or Dr Brown's grading. My children know all about Dr. Brown's lessons and they knew better than to go to a job interview using "like" every other word, or "uh" "um". My husband's job puts him in the position to interview many new college graduates for finance positions. He is appalled at how poorly so many of them handle the English language, but expect to get a job starting at 50K a year

Well, gol-durn, Mr. Chimp! Yessteeday, I didn't even no how, no way to spell editur. Now I are one! We'uns be South Carolina boys whose 3Rs be readin', 'ritin', and the road to the appalachian tail, uh, I means trail.... :p:p

I have probably a few pet peeves, grammatically, but in my mind, there are times and places for correct spelling/grammar, aan other times/places where communication is the goal. I realised about the age of 20, after resiasting the use of slang for many years, that if language did not evolve, we would still be talking/writing like Shakespeare :eek: or even worse Chaucer :eek: :eek:

One of my pet peeves is "gotten", another is people (including my DH) who go "acrost" the street ( please, someone, show me the T in "across") and my last one for today is "ahleven" for eleven . . .

Did someone say there was spell-check here on the forum???

I love that you're talking about grammar pet peeves--it's one of my favorite topics. I hate the incorrect usage of apostrophe s--whether with it when it's not supposed to mean "it is" or with other nouns when it's used to indicate a plural noun. I also hate the newly coined phrase of "went missing." None of it bothers me on this forum, when it's either a typo or people are just trying to get a message out there. It's when you see it in print on advertisements or newspapers, written by people who get paid for what they write and should be proofreading.

One of my pet peeves regarding grammar/spelling has to do with spelling errors appearing where they really shouldn't. I mentioned before that I work in a university. Over the past year there have been a few misspellings that have driven me crazy:

Residence halls were having a contest to see which one could conserve the most energy. The winner would receive the Captian Planet award.

Groups within the university sponsor a holiday party in early December for families within the community. Posters were all over campus informing people about it. The word "university" was supposed to be on the poster in 3 locations. However, only twice was it spelled "university". The third time it was spelled "univeristy".

A new manager in human resources sent out two emails identifying herself as a Human Resources Manger.

There is a 9 hole golf course on campus. Last summer I took a half day vacation and my husband and I were on the 6th tee when a young woman drove up in a golf cart with camera in hand. She was taking pictures of a newly installed ad sign on the post displaying the map of the hole. After she was done I walked over to the sign to look at it and immediately grabbed my cell phone and called the number shown on the sign - for the university bookstore. The sign read: Alumni recieve 10% off on all purchases. I told the nice person who answered the phone about the error and suggested that someone verify the spelling in one of the dictionaries they probably had for sale.

To add to this mix:
My stepbrother berated me on Facebook for writing in a PM "How come you never make me dessert?" Apparently he saw a problem with my choice of words. I don't see it. Is there something wrong with using "How come" in a sentence?

I think the way you structured your sentence could be interpreted a couple of ways--in today's world. Perhaps that is what he was objecting to :D I'll let you think about it a little.

I think you meant, "How come you never make a dessert for me?" :)

I don't think it was a grammar objection as much as an interpretation issue on a public site.

:)I have more things to worry about than someones grammer, some people are on meds and recovering from surgery etc.... I am just lucky to be alive and grateful for this forum to ask questions. Everyone makes typing errors and spells words wrong with just a extra click of the key board. Some her are from other country's and there english is just not that great. So enjoy life and be thankful we are all alive! :):)

Thanks, Nancy...and because I work with dirty-minded teens, I do see your point.

However, my brother wrote me: "When you start using correct grammar then I will treat you to dessert." He often likes to tell me that I must not be a very good teacher because of my grammatical slip-ups. I'm twelve years younger than him, so I'm not sure if he's just teasing his "kid" sister or if he actually means what he says. He's hard to read that way. Besides, I think I'm pretty darn skilled at the English language, but when I'm casually chatting, writing a quick e-mail, or posting on line, I make mistakes just like anyone else.

I recall being told that "How come" is "Poor Grammar" sometime in elementary school if I remember correctly from many decades ago.

A "more grammatically correct" way of asking the question would be:

Why don't you ever make dessert for me?

Your brother may have also objected to "make me dessert".

I agree with Al. I was always taught that "how come" is poor English. It doesn't mean I don't use it occasionally, but "why" means the same thing and is shorter! There are things that I use in casual conversation that I would never write, except in a very informal communication, which is where you used this phrase.

Make me dessert also sounds like you want to be his "dessert", which is kind of sick considering he's your step brother!

Latest posts

Back