Ten Years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkU

Today is the tenth anniversry of my AVR (12-15-2000).

Considering that I was given a life expectancy of three years without the surgery, I can't complain too much. ;)

Actually, I can't complain at all. I feel very lucky and blessed. My surgery went well, as did my recovery (although it took longer than I expected).

I lead an active and unrestricted lifestyle. My cardiovascular health doesn't limit me, only the aches and pains that go along with being 57 years old.

Ten years of being on Coumadin has only been an issue when dealing with a one (former) dentist and having to do a couple of Lovenox bridges when I had colonoscopies.

VR was a big help to me after my surgery and I thank everyone here for their support and encouragement over the years.

I don't post as much as I used to for a couple of reasons, I think. One reason is that it's hard to keep up on all the technical and medical advancements in the last ten years, and I'm not up to speed as much as I used to be, so don't have as much to offer in that way. I'm glad to hear about all the new developments, but since I don't expect to go through AVR again (knock on wood), it all seems a bit moot to me.

The other reason is that I think I've managed to move on with my life since my surgery. Quite frankly, there are days now that I don't even think about my valve, unless it's when I have to remind myself to take my Coumadin. I guess that's good, but it also reinforces the fact that I have been very fortunate.

Thanks to you all. Best wishes for a joyous Holiday season.

Mark

Mark, good to hear that you are in such a contented space regarding your AVR. I am only now slowly getting to the point where I am not constantly aware of the artificial prothesis keeping me alive. I can actually go up to 2 days without being aware of the valve. I am only 18 months out and hope to get to your situation sooner, rather than later...

Congrats on your double digit valversary!! Way to go! It is nice to know that you are at a place in your life that you are not thinking about your valve everyday.
Wishing you many, many more years of good health with your valve.

Latest posts

Back