Surgery Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posting on the forum on Day 1 post-op beats me by a day or two. I'm impressed! (Mind you, if my sweetie had agreed to bring me the laptop when I asked her to. . .)

Thanks so much, for your replies and support. You've all been so generous with your time and help. I cheated and had my father post that for me. But I'm hammering out this one on the iPod on top of my chest pillow while sitting on a recliner. They say I'm a "RABIT" and fast tracked me. The surgery was apparently smooth and my old valve, on examination, my old valve had become volcano shaped - the two leaflets has essentially fused. My new ats valve is ticking away quietly like a wristwatch in a quiet room. I only hear it if I pay close attention. My lung tube was pulled today - not as bad as I expected. Now I'm working with the spirometer but it is slow going. My best score is about 1650, and I'm mostly around 1100. Didnt sleep last night. I should be napping now, but I'm awaiting my wife's return from the coffee shop. Thanks again for EVERYThing and bye for now.
Pem

Good to hear how well you are doing, Pem.
Take it slow and let them take good care of you.
Walk, walk, walk........ that seems to be a big help during recovery.

Best wishes.

It's good to see your response, get lots of rest and take it slow.

Thanks- they are encouraging me to work hard but seem to understand that rest equally important.

By the way, I was fortunate enough to have the reknowned Dr. Speir and his stellar team at INOVA Fairfax perform the surgery. I'm so grateful to him for encouraging me to move quickly and for his skilled handiwork.

The hospital staff is taking great care of me and have been patient with mymany questions :)

Pem

Posting on the forum on Day 1 post-op beats me by a day or two. I'm impressed! (Mind you, if my sweetie had agreed to bring me the laptop when I asked her to. . .)

I guess someday someone will manage to sneak their smartphone into a TAVI procedure and start posting during the surgery. But for now, father assisted or not, PEM has raised the bar.

PEM, with surgery past, you can now look to your new future. Let us know how we can help.
Larry
Thanks for offering, Larry. A few questions: how do you balance between rest and walking? Did any of you have short term memory loss after surgery - how long did it last?
Thanks so much.
Pem

I guess someday someone will manage to sneak their smartphone into a TAVI procedure and start posting during the surgery. But for now, father assisted or not, PEM has raised the bar.

I just really wanted to reconnect with everyone who helped out, and was fortunate to have help to do that. But, sure, I won't reject bragging rights ;)

Pem

A pee and a poop and a walk down the hallway and you will be outta there! I do not remember having memory loss or any bad dreams but I was feeling weak and did not have the normal cat like reflex's for a few weeks:)
It sounds like your surgery went well but you are still recovering, be alert to how you feel and take it easy.
Good to hear your feeling well!!!

Well, Pem, welcome to the other side of the mountain! Glad you're doing well, but don't overdo it. As others have said, we want to avoid that "one step forward, two steps backward" feeling.

Aren't those new phones and tiny computer devices cool? I had mine in the hospital with me a couple of days post-op. It helped a lot to be able to connect without having to carry on a long conversation.

Steve - thanks!

You bet, I can get my finger pricked on one hand while posting with the other :)

Pem

I had no memory loss or other noticeable cognitive deficit (though my typo rate was elevated on the laptop for several days). I had negotiated for an unusually low dose of benzodiazepines, though -- the anti-stress drugs that are primarily associated with short-term amnesia post-OHS.

I also skipped all the other changes of preferences that many others have reported -- fave foods don't taste good any more, type thing.

Latest posts

Back