Surgery on 4-25! This is my 1st post.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Hazelton

I have sure benefitted in the past several weeks from reading on lots of subjects here. I'm grateful for those who have taken the time and effort to reassure from the patient side of things. This is a great venue. I've been able to forestall much anxiety, giving myself permission to worry later if I must. Maybe those younger days (treated depression) of learning not to catastrophize are paying off in this arena. Still many days (and those tricky pre-dawn moments of wakefulness) to go so I won't begrudge ramping up the fear factor a bit at times. I've been following where my curiosity leads. My rationale is; if I understand the plan, along with some of what MAY or MAY NOT happen, and am able to downplay the fear, I am fortunate. Somehow I doubt that I will later regret my lack of pre-op worry.

- not a thrill seeker, but i'm goin' in.

:redface2:

hi les, we have all been there, take it from me the waiting is the worst bit, you will be just fine, any questions just fire away

Hi Les. Make a plan and follow it. This forum will prepare you pretty well. Come back and ask questions as needed. Read people's surgery stories, post-op experiences and just be prepared. I found that knowing what to expect after the surgery was done has really helped me anticipate and recover. Before the surgery the anticipation is generally tough as crap, it messes with you in unimaginable ways, and even the most rational of us succumb to irrational thoughts and fears.

Good luck on the 25th!!!!

Les,

Tell us a little more about what your getting done and about you. It is completely natural to be worried and scared. I sure was. Soon you will be on the other side and your only job will be to recover at your own pace.

Gary

Hi, Les, and welcome to VR. This is one of those times when knowing one's self can help guide you through a good recovery. Do what you can to stay positive and as you go take control of your recovery. Plan what you are going to do and try to stick to it. Try to walk on a schedule and work at the inspirometer to recover your lung function. One of my hang ups was the fear that I wouldn't notice any improvement after the AVR so it was surprising to feel so much better as I began my own recovery. Let us know how we can help, Les. Best Wishes.

Larry

Hi Les, welcome to the site. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family on the 25th. Can't wait to hear from you in recovery! All the best...

Tom

You've come to the right site, Welcome!

Best of luck to you on the 25th. Gather as much info as possible, it helps ALOT.

Les - Here's hoping that you find yourself where many of us have been. Along with making your plan and keeping to it, you may find (as I did) that as soon as you are actively doing the steps of your plan and geting closer to your surgery date, an almost surreal calm envelopes you. I know that the last week or so prior to my surgery were very calm because I knew I had kept to plan and I had already done all the worrying I would need to do. All I had to do was be there. It felt strange at first, but I think it was for the best.

Hi Les, welcome. You will find this a good place for information and support as your 'journey' though this continues. I certainly did/have. I followed the advice of others here and made a plan (I am a planner by nature) and by the time the surgery and recovery time came around, I was calm as can be. Kind of odd really, when the time came I noticed that I was probably the calmest one in my inner circle about the surgery, but it was a very reassuring place to be. Good luck mon your surgery and wishibng you na smooth recovery. I'll be thinking of you on the 25th.

Hi les,
Welcome to the boards :)
Good luck for the 25th, Will be thinking of you
Keep us posted :)
Love Sarah xxxx

I believe I have a good plan. Son driving me down. Willing to stay with me as I recover at home though he works. I live alone. Need to buy a recliner, I guess. I remember my dad sleeping there for a week or so after his. Hope I find one that is easy to operate. I changed my mind about where to have surgery - chose the Mayo in Rochester over my home town. That was a sweet moment. I felt flooded with relief and confidence and optimism. Question: My family will be around for the big event (grown sons, and bros. & sis, mom even, girlfriend, cousins & uncle) I'm glad they'll be together and really hate to miss the fun of that!! Rrr. I haven't spent much time contemplating the angiogram night before. Wondering will I possibly be well enough for at least a bit of family time that evening?

All I have experienced are collapsed lung, hernia repair, vasectomy, colonoscopy. I have no complaints over those experiences. I LOVE Versed. I have a hotel room and hope for some semblance of rest the night b4 surgery. My fear over the whole experience seems to center around ICU time, breathing tube, panic, inability to communicate. Pretty universal I suppose. I usually think I can't handle difficult things then usually do much better than I expect. I'm cooperative, compliant, and a little ray of hope goes a long way with me sometimes. Feeling good for several years on a low-dose anti-depressant. I have a good quality of life and am willing to do this work for some more quantity!

My details are: 50mm ascending aortic aneurism and leaky bicuspid aortic valve. Maybe Bentall procedure. I don't feel sick. Maybe I have a little chest sensation now and then but hey, who doesn't? I like to ride bicycle in the summer and my town is hilly. I do have some trouble focusing on work - sales. I have an office in my home. Not missing any income for 6 weeks and will negotiate more if needed. Surgeon just advised don't over commit to working too soon too much.

I LOVE to play the guitar. I am hopeful that I may be able to do a bit of that after a couple of weeks. I have a lightweight thin travel guitar that I think I can fit a pillow behind.

Thanks for being my new people.
- Les

Les,

I strongly recomend the recliner. If you can, get the electric type that will almost stand you up. My dad had one before he died and my wife got the kids to haul it over to our house while I was in the hospital. It made it so easy to get up and down out of it. I slept in it for about 3 weeks and getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom was a breeze.

Gary

Hey Les,
Regarding the angiogram, it probably depends upon what time they perform it. There will be some down time while they make sure the puncture wound doesn't bleed, but you should be able to have visitors in the room while you wait.
I'm not sure where you're located, but the Mayo is probably a good choice. I went to college in Winona so I'm familar with the area.
Vr member, Cooker, also plays the guitar. Maybe he will pop in and share his guitar playing experience post-op.
Mary

Les, welcome. You will do fine. You have a good attitude and everything should be fine. The ICU stuff while not a walk in the park can be overcome. Have family member (when allowed to see you) bring pencil and paper so you can write what you are thinking/feeling if the tube is still in. The drugs you get from the surgery will likely keep you pretty out of it for a while. Remember once you are given your spirometer (breathing thingy) to use it consistently cause the sooner the you get your lungs functioning fully the better you will feel. Stay on top of your pain meds. Some cardiac floors don't keep such close tabs on time between pain meds and you might need to remind nurses before you are in total discomfort. Now for time before surgery, just relax and enjoy your family. The angiogram is not so bad (except for having to lie still for a while) but like you said, Versed is great. You should be able to spend some good time with everyone. The recliner would be up to you and how you are feeling. Some people vote yes and some vote no. So I would take that on an "we will see" basis. I likely wouldn't buy one if you aren't going to have use for it later. Medical Supply Stores can rent them to you (either regular or electric).
In any case, I am wishing a successful surgery and bump free recovery for you. :)

Just wanted to welcome you to this forum and to wish you all the luck in the world!

You're soon to become a member of the "been there, done that" club and wondering what all the "hoopla" was about! So meantime, hang in there, stay positive and let the show begin!

Godspeed!

Last edited:
Best of luck on the 25th. I hope you are one of the ones who discovery that the recovery in the hospital is far easier than you had feared going in. Before you know it, you will be home and itching to get back to doing your regular things.

Latest posts

Back