Questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pspingmom

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I was doagnosed with Aortic stenosis.
My cardiologist told me last week that I have up to 4 months to plan for valve replacement surgery. I'm a 46 yr old woman, so he rcommended an artificial valve.
I'm nervous about having to be on blood thinners the rest of my life. Let alone having this surgery period. My husband thinks I need another opinion.
If you've had this surgery, can you give me some insight as to what I can expect? Im hoping to wait til January, but not sure if that will be possible.~Debra:confused2:

Hi Debra, sorry you having to go through this, we all been in your shoes facing surgery. A second opinion is an excellent idea. I'd want to get an opinion from a surgeon in your area. UCLA (Laks) and Stanford (Miller) have excellent surgeons who can give you a better idea of a timeframe for the surgery. The guy at your local hospital may do alot of bypass surgery, make sure that also do alot of valve replacement procedures.

Valve selection is a personal decision unfortunately there is no 1 right answer. Many here have been on anticoagulation therapy for years (up to 40) without incident should you choose a mechanical. A tissue valve at your age WILL require yet a second valve replacement surgery as they don't last and will require replacement.

I'd spend as much time as you can reading stories from previous threads which should give your a good idea of what others have been through. I won't tell you mine as most have an easier time than I did. Good luck.

Hi Debra. Like has been said, mechanical or tissue valves have their pros and cons. As has been posted, the one big difference is lifelong anti-coagulation therapy vs probable future surgeries. Read all you can, and this forum is a very good source to give you both sides of the argument.

For what it's worth.....I have always considered warfarin to be the "tail" of the dog and would never let the "tail wag the dog". ACT (anti-coagulantion therapy) does require learning a simple discipline....but the "plus" side is that future surgeries may be avoided.

Best wishes....and yes, the waiting prior to the surgery is the worst part.:smile2::smile2::thumbup:

I do not have a valve replacement but rather a MVR and I am diabetic ....there is not much that is more personal than your choice of valve type READ READ READ then read some more ......... as a diabetic I test my blood 3 times per day and take 5 injections BUT INSULIN DOES NOT RULE MY LIFE I DO I still feel fully in control .........one section that I would read is the surgical anniversary section in the meantime WELCOME

Hi Deb,

I have a St.Jude mechanical valve and take warfarin daily. I had my surgery last year when I was 46 yr old and my surgeon recommended a mechanical valve. I am curious why your surgeon recommend a tissue valve. You have 4 months to prep for it so it doesn't hurt to get another opinion.

Debra,
Please don't let any horror stories that you may have heard about anticoagulants, frighten you about the choice of valve you choose. Whether it be tissue or mechanical, both choices are good. It's better to choose one or the other rather than NOT to have the surgery! You need this surgery to go on with the rest of your life.

I have been on coumadin for 35 years and I have led a very active life. The only limitations I had, were those I chose to place on myself. I didn't let the medication dictate my activities....I just used good sense!!! :)

Welcome to the Forum, Debra.

Which valve to choose was the most torturing decision I had to make in my whole life.:eek2::frown2:

I kept going back and forth and felt I was losing my head!

Take your time to weigh the pros and cons of each choice, and definitely seek a second opinion and aske the surgeons you *interview* why they would prefer one valve to another! I saw three surgeons, and if it was not for my hubby, I would have see more!

I was so scared about the ACT and could not accept the idea that my life would depend on the coumadin/warfarin pill, if I chose mechanical valve! Once I got over my tension and learned how to handle it and adjust the dose on my own, I feel sorry for all the times I spent worrying about it before the surgery.

Good luck with your choice. It will be hard for anyone other than you to tell which valve to choose.

Keep asking questions and keep us posted.

:)

Questions

Hi Debra,

Many of us prefer the term anticoagulants rather than blood thinners. Coumadin really doesn't "thin" one's blood. Of course, coumadin is referenced often as a blood thinner and you're in good company if you choose to refer to it as such.

Success rates for valve replacement surgery are extremely high for people who are in decent shape. High success rates tend to be non-valve specific. In other words, the chances for a good outcome are just as high regardless of what kind of valve is used.

There's no shortage of threads on the forum which address the advantages and disadvantages of both mechanical and tissue. Personally, mechanical was a good fit for me and coumadin hasn't had any significant negative impact on my life and the activities I pursue. I work and play hard.

-Philip

If you want to know what to expect during your hospital stay check out the Cleveland clinic's website. They have a lot of information. If you read the post-surgery threads on here keep in mind that we often post when we are having problems, so it isn't the whole picture. I've had my fair share of complications but overall I'm happy to be alive and I feel better now than I did before surgery. Most of the panic and frustration could have been avoided if I was more informed.

Oh and what I was expecting was more pain. You will have pain but they are good at helping you manage.

Also this will become a big life event, don't expect to go back to normal just because you've been discharged, it takes time. I have been taken aback with the amount of time recovery takes.

It is normal to worry about the surgery but if you get overly anxious get help, anxiety before surgery will predict your anxiety after surgery.

Went with mechanical vale St Judes for my husband age 44 due to his age. Tissue don't last as long so have to have repeat surgery. Coumadin seems like a small issue compared to surgery again. Some people end up on coumadin with tissue valve too, so there are no guarantees you won't need it. The decision is all yours and there is no right or wrong decision. We feel blessed we found his aortic stenosis and that it is treatable.
Waiting is the hardest part. I suggest you get it done soon so you don't have to worry as long.

I was also 46 and chose mechanical, knowing that I don't do well with surgeries and hoping to avoid a repeat as much as possible...... And I also just happened to know 2 people with mech valves who were doing very well with them.

I was 44 when I had mine.. I chose the tissue valve for I had my concerns about coumadin as well.. with my experience and knowledge I have now, I would have gone mechanical. This surgery is not one I would like to do again but unfortunately I will. Many people told me its a walk in the park.. in my experience it was anything but that... don't want to freak you out but honestly I wish I had someone tell me this before I made the choice I did. Also there is no guarantees that a mechanical valve won't fail. Just do your research, ask your doc what his opinion is and get a second one... good luck

Hi Debra, I was 20 when I had my mitral valve replaced with a St. Jude Mechanical valve and have now been on Coumadin almost 11 years. I chose mechanical because I did not want to have another surgery later on to replace the tissue valve. I feel that I made the best choice for me and have never had any problems with Coumadin or any heart problems since. Best of luck to you!

I have a St Judes Mechanical Valve that also had the Aorta part attatched. Where there is no such thing as a 100% guarantee of not having another surgery, its alot better odds with the mechanical valve in my opinion. I took just a few months to get my coumadin levels fixed and its been fine. You must look at all the sides but after going through the srugery and on going recovery id rather not have to do that again . thats for certain.

I was doagnosed with Aortic stenosis.
My cardiologist told me last week that I have up to 4 months to plan for valve replacement surgery. I'm a 46 yr old woman, so he rcommended an artificial valve.
I'm nervous about having to be on blood thinners the rest of my life. Let alone having this surgery period. My husband thinks I need another opinion.
If you've had this surgery, can you give me some insight as to what I can expect? Im hoping to wait til January, but not sure if that will be possible.~Debra:confused2:
I was born with a malformed aortic valve called a bicuspid valve and knew for decades that I would have to have it replaced. So, what you are doing, asking questions and researching choices and consequences, is excellent. BTW, my husband and I ended up consulting with three excellent and highly recommended surgeons; many members here consulted with more than one surgeon. Best wishes :)

I notice from her Member Profile, that Debra's last activity on this site was 6 days ago so she has not read the last 5 posts. I hope she can overcome her fears and learn how to deal with her situation.

I notice from her Member Profile, that Debra's last activity on this site was 6 days ago so she has not read the last 5 posts. I hope she can overcome her fears and learn how to deal with her situation.
Well, she only mentioned being nervous.
I had decades to prepare and I was scared :eek2:
I'm sure she will do just fine :)

Weren't we all scared? It comes with the territory but I agree I hope she returns here to read and learn and inquire. This community has helped so many of us through the wait, the surgery and the recovery.

thank you for all of your opinions. I got two more opinions from other cardiologists. All of them agreed that because of my age I should go with a mechanical valve. So, with that being said..I have decided not to wait til January. I have an angiogram scheduled for early Monday morning Nov. 1. And Im hoping to have the AVR scheduled for sometime around Nov. 15th. My nerves just wouldnt allow me to wait til January. Im gonna hate not being involved so much with holiday cooking. (My favorite) and decorationg. But this is more important.

Latest posts

Back